Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
I was riding the other day and got a low oil light. I hadn't checked my oil since the last oil change but when I stopped to check it I had no oil in the dip stick. I stopped right away and added more oil. My question is, is it common for these machines to burn a little oil each ride? I don't have any sign of a leak and its a 2019 thats in good shape.

Second question, I used 5w40 Synthetic oil - from what I could find online this is whats suggested. Does it really matter the brand?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have run into this same issue. Brought the machine to 2 different dealers with the same response; according to them, from BRP, “some oil consumption is common in turbo engines, no further action is required.” Once during warranty period and once outside of warranty period. Not saying I agree. Besides having to add some oil (up to 3/4 quart every ~200 miles) haven’t had any issues. 2019 X3 64” XRC. Have also witnessed ‘21 X3 64” XDS RR do the same but use less, within its first riding season.

On edit: I use 5w40 other machine uses BRP oil for an X3.

·
Administrator
5,049 Posts
Hey everyone
I was riding the other day and got a low oil light. I hadn't checked my oil since the last oil change but when I stopped to check it I had no oil in the dip stick. I stopped right away and added more oil. My question is, is it common for these machines to burn a little oil each ride? I don't have any sign of a leak and its a 2019 thats in good shape.

Second question, I used 5w40 Synthetic oil - from what I could find online this is whats suggested. Does it really matter the brand?
Check your air filter for oil contamination. A lot of us here run catch cans to help extend the filter life.

·
Registered
576 Posts
ZERO oil burn on 2018 XRS max, S&B particle seperator installed at 1 mile, We ride in dust all the time, changed air filter at 5000 because i felt guilty.Now have over 10,000 miles, clean air is very important in engine oil consumption and oil life.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I think it has alot to do with good maintenance (oil changes with good oil, frequent air filters, good quality fuel etc), and not beating on the car until it's warm, as we all know the most wear happens during warm up.

We all cringe at that one buddy that flashes the machine up in -10 weather and just throws it in high and goes without giving it time to warm the oil and lubricate the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts