Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much fuel does your Mav take when the fuel light comes on?

Went out to take a cruise and my fuel light pops on so I drive to the gas station which was 4 miles away and it only takes 5.3 gallons. I was trying to run it closer to empty so I could get rid of the 87 octane the dealer put in!

Im thinking the sender is screwed or not calibrated. When I picked the Mav up it had just under a half tank and 22 miles later the low fuel light pops on.....strange.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
like at 3.5-4 gallons I think they have it start to come on

·
Registered
266 Posts
I believe the owner manual say low fuel light comes on when the tank has 3.5 gallons left.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to drain the tank down tomorrow and check it out. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I am going to drain the tank down tomorrow and check it out. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with it.

Don't drain it 'cause it's working right. Like they said above, 3.5 to 4 gallons reserve as stated in the owner manual. Should go a long ways on that much fuel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotta do it anyways. I will be doing some clutch and afr tuning and need 91 octane in it. Its probably around 89 now. Im not sure if it matters all that much but the ocd side of me wants to take no chances.

I sure wish better gas was available around here....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing with 6 gallons still in the tank. The gauge shows empty and the gas light is on. I took it into the dealer and they verified it was reading incorrectly. Can Am is sending out a complete sending unit/float assembly.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yeah. Mine does the same thing, it's correct. It did suprise me the 1st time when it said low fuel and I only put 5 gallons in it. Ain't it a 10 gallon tank.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I wondered why can am sets the low fuel light at 3 gallons but once you get down to gallon and a half or so the fuel starts sloshing around and it'll start acting like its out of fuel when running hard

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never got around to draining the tank and checking it out. Damn garage door insulation took longer than I thought. Will update tomorrow!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Same as on commander. It's working correctly but you could probably bend your float rod a little to get it a little closer.

If it can't play, it can't stay!

·
Registered
150 Posts
So it's not really a Low fuel light at all.... It's a 1/2 tank light.... LoL...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts