Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Low cost trunk for Maverick Trail/Sport

22K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  RYEDOGG RACING 
#1 ·
Found this on a Facebook group and decided to pick one up. Fits like a glove once you take the wheels off, no side to side movement. I'm attaching it using bolts through the bottom and will post pics of that once I'm done.

Husky has these in 25G and 50G sizes. I decided on the 50G as I wanted to be able to carry gear, a cooler, tools etc...
It kept out the rain, mud and dust, has a lockable lid and is far cheaper than the other options for anybody who wants to spend their upgrades dollars elsewhere.

Home Depot carries them:
Husky 37 in. Mobile Job Box Utility Cart Black (50 Gallon)
Husky 35 in. Mobile Job Tool Box (25 Gallon)

Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Automotive wheel system

Waste container Plastic Recycling bin Waste containment Metal

See less See more
#4 ·
I like the nylon knob idea. I got some carriage bolts, ground the edges down a little bit and secured them to the slots in the bed with a nut and washer. Next I'll drill the bottom of the box and was planning to use wing nuts with a rubber washer inside the box but may change those out for the nylon knobs instead.

You want to be able to take it out easily so that you can clean the mud out of the bed after particularly dirty rides though not much as makes it in there with the mud flaps.

#11 ·
This is what I did. I used 5/16 carriage bolts with washers in the bed, made a template, marked the box and drilled the holes. Inside I used wingnuts so it could come back out easily.

Was out for a good long muddy ride yesterday and everything inside stayed clean and dry. We had 3 coolers, extra clothes and tools with room to spare. We've become the cargo vehicle now!

I wish there was one that was maybe 4" shorter rather than half as it now makes doing a rad relocate trickier but that's another project....

Sphere Hand Auto part Automotive lighting
Auto part Wheel Metal
Black Stairs Architecture Photography Gas

Attachments

#16 ·
^^^ Rotopax makes both Rotopax fuel jugs (rotational molded) and Fuelpax jugs (blow molded) in various sizes. Its best to determine where and how you'll mount one or more before buying. Also noting that pax mounts are unique to each style jug and aren't interchangeable. If you plan to double-stack jugs, you'll also need to choose the correct extension based on thickness of the top mounted jug.

My buddy and I are carrying 1.75G Rotopax jugs on their Pax Bar Mount as shown here in my mods thread (I've since mounted a 2nd matching jug in same position on the driver side and switched to Rotopax DLX t-handles for more secure clamping retention. I agree with what trackside wrote and Rotopax recommends, i.e., to vent daily or periodically depending on changing elev and ambient temps. I/we also carry extra gasket seals, since I've had them tear and constantly weep stinky fuel on the rear of my jeep. I left my MavT covered outside in the RV park where I'm keeping it this summer (2100' higher elev than at home) and discovered one of the Rotopax jugs had weeped significantly from heat, elev and resulting pressure build up. I'll be sure to vent those jugs frequently from now on.

#17 ·
I figured I'd add my solution to this thread:
I used a Craftman tool tote from my local Lowe's: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-29-in-Black-Plastic-Wheeled-Lockable-Tool-Box/1000578357
I added rings to the box to secure it, and then used pipe straps (from electrical aisle of Lowe's) to add attachment points. With 4 bungees, more than adequate for how we ride

I went with this box because it's big enough, but not so tall as to made the already poor rear visibility even worse.

#18 ·
this thread is exactly what ive been looking for. below are the 2 boxes that I was trying to mount. the first one is a low-cost box, I had one identical to it years ago but I cant find it now. I think it will be sturdy enough, however I don't have much that I have to carry so I wanted it to be lower so that I had some rear visibility. the second is a heavier duty option. I have one on my the front of my trailer. I took it off the trailer and it fit perfect. the only thing I don't like is that it dose not have any "snap close latches". but I can just put a pin threw the latch and it should work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-18...1_13?keywords=18429001&qid=1568579949&sr=8-13

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...y-poly-utility-storage-box-32-in?cm_vc=-10005

I had no idea how to mount them. all I knew was that I didn't want to drill any holes. thanks for the info

#19 ·
i actually used the 25 husky in my buddys rzr. fit like a glove. funny that on the rzr, like trackside said, it fits perfect once you remove the wheels. and gave us all the room we needed. i was very impressed with how well it sealed.

i keep going back and forth on what i want. i really like the ryfab box, but pretty pricey. i want something a little more secure than plastic. we have these tool boxes on golf carts at work. really nice box. $200-$300 depending on what size you get. the husky definitely utilizes more of the bed giving you more storage. the rds is metal, sturdy and very secure. and the ryfab is everything. decisions decisions decisions.....like everything else, it comes down to how much do you want to spend?

RDS Gang Boxes & Utility Cart Toolboxes

#27 ·
i actually used the 25 husky in my buddys rzr. fit like a glove. funny that on the rzr, like trackside said, it fits perfect once you remove the wheels. and gave us all the room we needed. i was very impressed with how well it sealed.

i keep going back and forth on what i want. i really like the ryfab box, but pretty pricey. i want something a little more secure than plastic. we have these tool boxes on golf carts at work. really nice box. $200-$300 depending on what size you get. the husky definitely utilizes more of the bed giving you more storage. the rds is metal, sturdy and very secure. and the ryfab is everything. decisions decisions decisions.....like everything else, it comes down to how much do you want to spend?

RDS Gang Boxes & Utility Cart Toolboxes
So ... removing the wheels is possible without breaking the box?

#21 ·
Like Brgabaldon said. Put bolts in bed then use a piece of cardboard pressed down on bolts to mark hole locations.

I got an awesome deal on a storage box from super atv for the original mavericks. Fits contours of the bed perfectly and leaves room on sides for other stuff. Still had to custom mount it to fit new mavs. I like how it sits slightly lower than the seats so i keep some of my rearward visibility.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.