Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved back to Yuma, AZ and in a position to enjoy my X3 much more than previously when I lived in northern AZ. With that being said I was quickly reminded about the shortcomings I previously experienced with the stock suspension when I lived here before. The low-speed dampening was horrible and quite harsh and I definitely felt I wasn't getting the suspension travel as advertised. (I've read that they're cranked down from the factory to allow for transport or ride comfort.) I was just about to pull the trigger on a brand new MAX rs when I decided to conduct an experiment which only expense was going to be my time...

I've heard about the FOX "race" tune of the stock suspension, here and elsewhere, and that FOX was more than happy to set up anyone's buggy with it for free at any of the big shows in Glamis, etc. I wasn't in a position to wait for a show or travel to one, and after several requests of my dealer to dial my suspension in resulted in no appreciable gain in performance, I decided to do it for myself. The main reason why I didn't do it earlier was the majority of my tools are in storage a few thousand miles away and I knew that it was going to be more time consuming without them handy.

Bottom line, I should NOT have waited and FOX's recommended "race" setting is the way it should have came from the factory!

My before measurements were 13-1/2 inches of ride height driver's side front, 13-1/4 passenger side front and 12-1/2 inches both sides rear. Three of the four crossover rings were set at 5-1/2 inches with the passenger rear set at 5-5/8. I zeroed out the shock settings and dialed those in first, and suffice it to say there didn't appear to be any consistency. Since the shock settings can be quickly adjusted I decided to do those first and I wasn't expecting too much of an improvement and would say it made a mild one at best. The next morning I decided to have at it and set it up exactly according to FOX's race tune settings. It took over 3 hours, which included cleaning out the air filter and clutch housing and removing the mud scrapers from the inside of the rear wheels. A couple of the crossover rings gave me a hard time and were partially seized up, and a shot of PB Blaster helped fix that.

Once I had it all dialed in I ended up with a 16-inch ride height all the way around (FOX says it should be 14-1/2 inches with stock tires). I thought that was a little higher than expected, even with my up-sized tires, and decided to see if a blast around the desert would change it and settle. I had barely gotten into the desert out my backyard and noticed the low speed dampening wasn't only far less harsh, it was arguably plush (a word I loathe to use but best describes it!). The tendency for the front end to plow was likewise gone and hammering over the same sets of whoops that I have thousands of miles doing in this and two previous buggies was a completely new and pleasant experience; no more stacking which in turn allowed me a significantly higher speeds. The only downside I've picked up on is I'm much more aware of the bump steer issue which I'm looking to rectify with Shock Therapy's kit. Post ride measurements reflected the 16-inch ride height hadn't changed.

With all that being said I'm thoroughly enjoying my all new buggy/suspension, and while I've always had a full Shock Therapy build in my plans, this will definitely do the trick in the interim. Best part of all is that it's essentially free, and anyone interested in trying it out for yourself should check out these two FOX resources:

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=powersports&t=tuningtips&v=Maverick

Premium Member
Thats how Im set up ,pretty nice ride for bone stock suspension , the only thing that still gets me are the little wasboard stutter bumps ? I dont think anything can improve the ride on those

Premium Member
First welcome back to the forum. Yuma..... I got stuck there once in the mid 90's (truck caught on fire). What a boring town, even the titty bar was disappointing.
I've seen its grown big time since when I was there. I ended up working at the American Girl Gold mine for 16 months (6 / 12's), just banking $$$. Bought a 35' trailer and stayed in Winterhaven.

Enjoy the dunes. I didn't own a toy back then so I had no reason to hit the sand. Thanks for the info, I'm also dreaming of my Shock Therapy treatment, but might just do the ST steering rack and have Ed (Poundsand) work his magic on my suspension. Never heard of anyone not being 1000% satisfied with Ed's suspension work. He hold free "show & tells" all the time in the dunes and desert. Maybe I'll bump into you at an upcoming event.

Enjoy the ride, rubberside down

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I've lived all over AZ and love it here; as long as I can shoot, Jeep and buggy (not necessarily in that order!), I'm happy. I have a place up in Sedona and I enjoy taking both my Jeep and buggy up there when it gets a lil toasty in Yuma and I need a break. I live desert-front now on BLM land and if it weren't for my gate on my new place being too narrow I'd literally be able to drive straight out into the desert! When I lived in Yuma before for just over 3 years I rode year round and plan on picking up where I left off, just need to prepare accordingly during the summer months/extreme temperatures. I'd like to set up my X3 the way my 800S RZR was and have sufficient lighting to safely ride at night, which is especially nice to do in the summer, as soon as the sun goes down the higher temperatures are quite tolerable...

Premium Member
The question is , does loise like the ride

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Lois LOVES the ride...you know how those crazy redheads can get! :in love:

Family-Guy-family-guy-characters-18957197-325-520.jpg

Reactions: Hollywood X3

Premium Member
Yuma can get a little toasty? Hell is cooler!

Registered
I did what you did. It was much better. But almost every time I took it it out I would measure the ride height and it "settled". It would drop 1/2-1 inch. Sent my shocks to Shock Therapy and I am very happy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I love it when my friends in Tucson and Phoenix talk smack about how it's "hot" in Yuma; like when it's 118 here and 115 there and y'all are really gonna break my chops over 3 degrees?! Never mind the valley is a concrete jungle and is like one big convection oven. I lived in Tucson a few years ago way out east by Mt. Lemon and it was nice, relatively speaking, but I much prefer where I'm at now...

Sedona is a whole other story and is just straight up awesome; that whole area of Prescott, Jerome, Cottonwood, etc. is sweet...

Premium Member
LOL! Yeah, you're right, it's basically all the same.

Registered
First welcome back to the forum. Yuma..... I got stuck there once in the mid 90's (truck caught on fire). What a boring town, even the titty bar was disappointing.
I've seen its grown big time since when I was there. I ended up working at the American Girl Gold mine for 16 months (6 / 12's), just banking $$$. Bought a 35' trailer and stayed in Winterhaven.

Enjoy the dunes. I didn't own a toy back then so I had no reason to hit the sand. Thanks for the info, I'm also dreaming of my Shock Therapy treatment, but might just do the ST steering rack and have Ed (Poundsand) work his magic on my suspension. Never heard of anyone not being 1000% satisfied with Ed's suspension work. He hold free "show & tells" all the time in the dunes and desert. Maybe I'll bump into you at an upcoming event.

Enjoy the ride, rubberside down

I have Ed鈥檚 treatment and am waiting for my ST steering rack/2019 steering box to be installed this week!

Registered
Your stock springs will probably continue to settle. When I had 700 miles on my XRS, I had to change the springs to ST springs. The ride height immediately went back to 16" and it rides great again. They were $950 shipped to my door.

Registered
Yeah I lived in Yuma for a couple years in the late 90s. Jumping on my dirt bike and heading straight from my garage out into the wide open desert almost made living there worthwhile.

Almost.

Premium Member
Yeah I lived in Yuma for a couple years in the late 90s. Jumping on my dirt bike and heading straight from my garage out into the wide open desert almost made living there worthwhile.

Almost.
Almost, LOL!

Premium Member

Almost.
The best part about Yuma (besides the day I moved) was that little town down in Mexico west of Yuma on the California side. Alcadonas (I'm pretty sure I bombed the spelling). Use to go down there on Sundays, a few Monday's. Hung out at the Sports Book place, gambling on football (one of my past hobbies). Full steak (beef, I think), eggs, more than a person could ear6for like $3.00. Corona's were ice cold, fresh and like 50 cent's each.
Rode our toys down there a couple times (Tequila runs) when staying at Glamis. Ah, the good old days.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Yuma is definitely an acquired taste...and I've acquired it! I live in the Foothills which, outside of the snowbirds, is the best part of town. Since Easter their population has been in steady decline which is nice. Never quite understood why if it's "snowbird season" why can't you shoot them? You can shoot deer during deer season, turkey during turkey season, doves during dove season (which is HUGE here in Yuma) but not snowbirds? I don't get it and happiness in the Foothills is empty RV parks...!

Premium Member
Yuma is definitely an acquired taste...and I've acquired it! I live in the Foothills which, outside of the snowbirds, is the best part of town. Since Easter their population has been in steady decline which is nice. Never quite understood why if it's "snowbird season" why can't you shoot them? You can shoot deer during deer season, turkey during turkey season, doves during dove season (which is HUGE here in Yuma) but not snowbirds? I don't get it and happiness in the Foothills is empty RV parks...!
Yup, when I was there the population was 65K, jumped to 250K during "snow bird" season.
I agree, they should issue snow bird tags. They drive like fools, most shouldn't even be driving.

Administrator

Yup, when I was there the population was 65K, jumped to 250K during "snow bird" season.
I agree, they should issue snow bird tags. They drive like fools, mist shouldn't even be driving.

Guilty as charged guys...lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 34 Posts