Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Maverick X3 Turbo R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a ride this past weekend I without warning lost all engine braking. Car just seems to coast when letting off the throttle. Made it real tricky during downhill maneuvers. I pulled clutch cover and looked for anything obvious during the ride and didn’t see anything of concern. Secondary rollers all looked good and belt looked good. I’m going to pull clutches this week. What should I be looking for? Anyone else experience this issue? What did you find?

Car is evo 3R tuned
Has epi trail clutch kit - I have a pro kit to put in w/ adjustable weights
Running a gboost wbb
30” tires
Happens in both high and low

·
Premium Member
2017 Maverick X3 Turbo R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not sure Mega, I definitely had some good engine braking before. Even bringing the throttle up some did nothing other than make me go faster. I’d hardly have to use the brake to slow down previously, just let off the throttle and the car would slow on it’s own. I’m just as confused as you.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I’m not sure Mega, I definitely had some good engine braking before. Even bringing the throttle up some did nothing other than make me go faster. I’d hardly have to use the brake to slow down previously, just let off the throttle and the car would slow on it’s own. I’m just as confused as you.
Mega is not confused. Try stabbing the throttle to get the clutch engaged.
When the engine is idling the primary clutch is not engaged. That is what gives you the freewheel effect.

Reactions: Megadesertdiesel

·
Premium Member
2017 Maverick X3 Turbo R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand that Scott. I guess what’s getting lost in translation here is that my car did have good engine braking previously. I’d let off the throttle and the engine would not drop down to idle speeds and disengage. Now it is disengaging and even revving it in most situations doesn’t get me any return of some engine braking. Something changed and I’m just looking to see if it’s anything anyone else has experienced. If my engine braking previously is that unusual then hell, maybe something wasn’t right when I put the clutch kit in it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Mine never totally free wheels either, but I am pretty sure the RPM’s are over 2500 all the time, is yours dropping down to idle when coasting?

Mine is all stock, and I’ve only ever felt it disengage when at near idle on a slow roll. But I did just finally really get the clutches blown out correctly this weekend. Possibly a weight broke? Or the pin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 Maverick X3 Turbo R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Azerik, no it’s not dropping down to idle speeds. My thought is the secondary is sticking and not back shifting like it was and holding tension on the belt and keeping it engaged in the primary.

·
Premium Member
2017 Maverick X3 Turbo R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I have some issues with the primary for sure. I’m assuming upgrading to an 18+ clutch is a bolt on upgrade. Grooves in towers are pretty deep. Looks like the primary was sticking and causing what I was feeling. I’ll get the secondary apart tomorrow to inspect for issues.
D919E0C3-D45F-4C3B-9976-35C9E7D41726.jpeg
345594F1-C4E4-4D5B-AF99-24C207B2A358.jpeg
1F7DE1B3-A240-4985-99BA-515D53DC8D10.jpeg
FBA805DE-233D-4907-AF99-72C58FB03E16.jpeg
CB0CBBC4-8E10-4AA5-9F1A-CDAE7AE530FE.jpeg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts