Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to 32” tire size and portals. Now she steers like a train. Alignment is toe’d in 1/4”. I don’t have the steering stops installed on the rack.

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Official Site Vendor
5,450 Posts
I went to 32” tire size and portals. Now she steers like a train. Alignment is toe’d in 1/4”. I don’t have the steering stops installed on the rack.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Portals make steering harder because of the geometry of the portal. Your car is now much wider and the leverage has been reduced and the resultant effort to turn the wheel has increased. Two things will help:
1. ePowersteering
2. 6+1 or 5+1 wheels

PM on the back channel or call if you need more info or want to order parts.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
No issues when I went to 32s but we are not driving the same car so I cant speak to the differences. If you used the stock rims or rims with the stock offsets you will do better. If you changed the stock offset then you will add to your steering problems.

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
No issues when I went to 32s but we are not driving the same car so I cant speak to the differences. If you used the stock rims or rims with the stock offsets you will do better. If you changed the stock offset then you will add to your steering problems.

Keep in mind his car is completely different and he installed portals. Whole different animal. Tim

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
I guess what are you meaning it turns like a train? You saying its tough to steer or that the turning radius is much bigger. Larger tires will make steering more difficult, but there are options as Craig said. Larger tires and wider stance from the portals will make it turn very wide, not much you can do about that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
X2!!! I put 4” portals on my max turbo and it doubled my turning radius! I’ve heard that “a company is working on a rack with a longer stroke”... who knows... I’m about to start hacking on the steering arms to play with the geometry... a U-turn takes like an acre!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts