Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Can Am Maverick Max XMR with 3" bracket lift, 20" HD10 Wheels, 33" Moto Havok. 2000 miles

I recently changed out my rear differential and transmission fluids. After the service I've noticed a pretty drastic loss of power and top speed. Prior to the service, the choppyness at takeoff had become much worse and a metal clacking sound had developed. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
Time for a new belt.

Reactions: lynn_f

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wondering if there is anything that could go wrong with the diff or transmission fluids change that would cause the loss of power? It accelerates normally up to ~50mph and then it basically just stops accelerating. The RPM's stay at 8k but the speed stops building.

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
Could be sticking Clutch issues, stuffed up intake not allowing enough air to motor, using the sissy key in ignition, rock under the gas pedal or you are too short to push the gas pedal.

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
Could be, still thinking belt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all of the responses! I'll check the belt and clutch to see if there's any noticeable damage or wearing.

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
I appreciate all of the responses! I'll check the belt and clutch to see if there's any noticeable damage or wearing.
Unless you have a caliper, "eye" checking won't help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be sticking Clutch issues, stuffed up intake not allowing enough air to motor, using the sissy key in ignition, rock under the gas pedal or you are too short to push the gas pedal.
To clarify: Before I changed the diff & Trans fluids I had a metallic clacking sound and the choppiness at takeoff had become much worse. The bike still performed at normal speed and acceleration. I then changed the diff and Trans fluids hoping that would help with the noise and choppiness. After the fluid changes, changes there is a noticeable lack of power/acceleration. I have the same key in the ignition, I'm still 6'1 and can reach the pedals, there is no obstruction under the pedal as I'm still able to achieve 8k rpm's and nothing has changed regarding the air intake or clutch. I agree that it could be a clutch or belt issue it just seems unusual that the change would happen directly after a service performed.

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
To clarify: Before I changes the diff & Trans fluids I had a metallic clacking sound and the choppiness at takeoff had become much worse. The bike still performed at normal speed and acceleration. I then changed the diff and Trans fluids hoping that would help with the noise and clacking. After the fluid changes, changes there is a noticeable lack of power/acceleration. I have the same key in the ignition, I'm still 6'1 and can reach the pedals, there is no obstruction under the pedal as I'm still able to achieve 8k rpm's and nothing has changed regarding the air intake or clutch. I agree that it could be a clutch or belt issue it just seems unusual that the change would happen directly after a service performed.
Sometimes, it's just the way it is. Wasn't related, but happened. Did the noise / clacking go away with the change?

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
To clarify: Before I changed the diff & Trans fluids I had a metallic clacking sound and the choppiness at takeoff had become much worse. The bike still performed at normal speed and acceleration. I then changed the diff and Trans fluids hoping that would help with the noise and choppiness. After the fluid changes, changes there is a noticeable lack of power/acceleration. I have the same key in the ignition, I'm still 6'1 and can reach the pedals, there is no obstruction under the pedal as I'm still able to achieve 8k rpm's and nothing has changed regarding the air intake or clutch. I agree that it could be a clutch or belt issue it just seems unusual that the change would happen directly after a service performed.
sounds like clutch or belt issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sometimes, it's just the way it is. Wasn't related, but happened. Did the noise / clacking go away with the change?
The choppiness did improve slightly. The noise did not improve immediately after the service but I drove around quite a bit yesterday at low speeds and didn't notice the noise.

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
The choppiness did improve slightly. The noise did not improve immediately after the service but I drove around quite a bit yesterday at low speeds and didn't notice the noise.
Well, that was the intent, so you succeeded! Still think you should try a new belt, and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
788 Posts
Well, that was the intent, so you succeeded! Still think you should try a new belt, and you'll be good to go.
Why not if its been on there awhile anyways.

Little clutch hiccups can be better or worse one day to the next in my experience.

·
Registered
957 Posts
is the clunking sound youre referring to happen only at takeoff ? probably the rear diff and its normal on that model.....one hard engagement clunk from the rear end ?...not an issue

servicing your machine is not just changing fluids, you have an old machine, did you service your clutches properly ? Have they ever been serviced ?
clutches could be dirty/rusty/full of dust....belt could be worn....bearing could be sticking/toast.....clutch buttons worn....weights sticking ......pull your clutches and service them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts