Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So took the family for a ride today and about an hour into it, I noticed it was pulling really bad to the right. My first thought was I bent a tie rod but theres no way that would happen as I have the beefy CT Racing tie rods…..so I go and look at the front wheels and they were both straight. I then looked at the right rear and it was almost completely flat. I limped it back to the parking lot. I inspected it for a puncture and couldn't see any thing so I hooked up my portable compressor and it pumped it up pretty quickly to about 10PSI but wouldn't go any higher. It was windy out so I couldn't listen to see if I could hear a leak. I drove it down the road and back and it was still leaking so I put it on the trailer and we headed home.

It was flat as a bone when we got home so I pulled out the compressor and put air in it and I could hear right away when it got to 5PSI it started leaking. It was leaking from the behind the bead-lock. So I pulled it in the garage and sure enough, almost all of the bolts were loose. Some were backed out and lucky they didn't fall off while driving. I torqued them all down and put 20PSI in the tire and it held fine. I let it sit for a few hours and it didn't lose any pressure so I lowered it back down to 14PSI where I like to keep mine. I checked all of the wheels and this was the only one that had come loose. Has anyone else experienced this and do you recommend using Locktite on the bolts? How often do you check them? I have close to 300 miles on them and hadn't checked the torque before today.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK..thanks….I will wait to see what he has to say.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Most of my bead lock bolts were loose ( not real loose but below torque spec) at my last trip to the dunes 150 miles. Only reason I checked was because I was going with low air pressure for the dunes. Glad I did. I read elsewhere on this forum that someone had issues with loose bead lock bolts.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so i don't feel so bad now. Just one more tool to keep with me…..is anyone using Lock-Tite on them or are you just checking them regularly?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I checked mine at delivery, 10 hr, and just about every ride after that....they took a little every time until they stopped.1200 miles in and they don't come loose any more.

Keep torquing them down guys!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are you noticing that they need retightened when you check them….meaning are they loosening up over time?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Well I did check them at my 10 hour service or should I say 15 hour service and 221 miles. So after my dune the bead locks had 71 miles and the torque was ok. I'm wondering if they were torque good at factory or delivery from my dealer.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I am starting to think that mine just wasn't torqued properly when assembled because the others were all tight.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Rubber squishes and multiple torques are going to be required until everything finds a happy place, then periotic checks will still be needed. My sand tires have almost squished so much that the lock ring has almost touched the wheel.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I am starting to see that as well

·
Registered
614 Posts
Take a small amount of clear silicone and put it on each bolt. I haved used this method on jet skis bolts and my jeeps beadlocks for years.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take a small amount of clear silicone and put it on each bolt. I haved used this method on jet skis bolts and my jeeps beadlocks for years.
On the threads correct? Thanks for the advice....

·
Registered
614 Posts
Not on the thread, on the side of the bolt. Put a dab on the bolt shoulder and slide it down to the ring. So in the future all it take is a quick look to see if the silicone has ripped or broken loose.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Beadlocks need to be checked regularly. The bolts aren't backing out. Like stated above, rubber at the tire bead will continue to squish almost until you get to the cord. Just don't over tighten the bolts. It's easy to snap a #6 bolt. Don't ask me how I know... If I recall BRP calls for 71 inch pounds. I give em a quik check with a 1/4" drive ratchet every time I load up to go ride.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not on the thread, on the side of the bolt. Put a dab on the bolt shoulder and slide it down to the ring. So in the future all it take is a quick look to see if the silicone has ripped or broken loose.
Ah, I see….thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a rear tire leaking due to loose beadlocks as well. I check them regularly now and no more issues.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Mine loosened up too but after I retorqued them a few times they stay tight now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts