Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier in the week I told you about Brown MT. I'm always looking for places like that for weekend getaways. Southeast guys, chime in on your favorite sites

·
Registered
477 Posts
We like to ride windrock, twra ,sunquist , brimstone . We hook up with the locals and ride the outlaw trails mot of the time. All of these trails are right outside of Knoxville , tn. There's probably close to 500 thousand acres of riding here , but it's better when you ride with a local. We got lost a few years ago up there in the snow, it was 20 degrees and mid nite when we finally got bak to camp.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Youre right, WV is hard to beat. We usually head to Crumpler once a year. We've done that trip about 10 times in the past but I have yet to take my Maverick. Knoxville is only a couple hours from me and would like to see those spots. Are there any cabins to rent ? Its a little more than a day trip for us.
Yesterday I went to Outback in Laurinburg, NC. I wanted to give a review of the facility
The drive from Hickory took 3 hours and I was reminded of how shitty Hwy 74 can be with all the Traffic lights and slow zones!
Got there at 9:30 and it was drizziling. The people were friendly and brought us the sign in sheet to the truck. He said I could go anywhere but the MX track. We headed out and found the main road out of camp, quickly I realized that sport low wasnt going to work for this and switched to high. The soil was new to me, kinda mixed between sand and dirt, loamy with a grey to black color. Suprising how it drags on the machine, no wonder the west coast guys want aftermarket clutches with little engine breaking. As soon as you let off the throttle it stops! The trails were kinda marked right with one ways, jeep and numbers but made little sense at speed. Tons of blind intersections that really make you think and alot of dead end trails. We did find a couple fun woods trails but were quickly dumped out onto main roads. After about 2 hours we had seen everything. Went to speak to the owner about the MX track and he told me they do let sxs on there but only at the end of the day. There is alot of dirtbike traffic on the track so it's understandable why they didnt want my 1300 lb machine out there at the same time. His boys wanted to see me jump and said go ahead but I held off so as not to piss anyone off. Loaded up and headed home.
Noted:
Plenty of parking
RV power and water
$10 per person ( non military)
About 1 square mile(700 acres)
Only about 8 miles of trail(SXS)
Snack shack with site map posted
Port a jons
Some water holes and a pond

Although I had fun and I'm glad I went, its too far for me not to have More to enjoy than what they offered. I can see that MX track being the real magnet for folks but I couldnt wait till the end of the day to enjoy it. I will prolly never go back

·
Registered
477 Posts
There's cabins at the trailheads or hotels close by at windrock, brimstone, and royal blue/ sunquist . You've got a couple of members on here that re locals. Badride really knows the trails. Or if you go to southernsxsriders forum you can hook up with locals.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, all the Knoxville area OHV parks have cabins and bunkhouses, some nicer than others. Brimstone has the nicest cabins I've ever see for an OHV park. They sleep 6-8 and are log cabin / chalet style up on a steep hill, they have a full furnished kitchen as well.

Youre right, WV is hard to beat. We usually head to Crumpler once a year. We've done that trip about 10 times in the past but I have yet to take my Maverick. Knoxville is only a couple hours from me and would like to see those spots. Are there any cabins to rent ? Its a little more than a day trip for us.
Yesterday I went to Outback in Laurinburg, NC. I wanted to give a review of the facility
The drive from Hickory took 3 hours and I was reminded of how shitty Hwy 74 can be with all the Traffic lights and slow zones!
Got there at 9:30 and it was drizziling. The people were friendly and brought us the sign in sheet to the truck. He said I could go anywhere but the MX track. We headed out and found the main road out of camp, quickly I realized that sport low wasnt going to work for this and switched to high. The soil was new to me, kinda mixed between sand and dirt, loamy with a grey to black color. Suprising how it drags on the machine, no wonder the west coast guys want aftermarket clutches with little engine breaking. As soon as you let off the throttle it stops! The trails were kinda marked right with one ways, jeep and numbers but made little sense at speed. Tons of blind intersections that really make you think and alot of dead end trails. We did find a couple fun woods trails but were quickly dumped out onto main roads. After about 2 hours we had seen everything. Went to speak to the owner about the MX track and he told me they do let sxs on there but only at the end of the day. There is alot of dirtbike traffic on the track so it's understandable why they didnt want my 1300 lb machine out there at the same time. His boys wanted to see me jump and said go ahead but I held off so as not to piss anyone off. Loaded up and headed home.
Noted:
Plenty of parking
RV power and water
$10 per person ( non military)
About 1 square mile(700 acres)
Only about 8 miles of trail(SXS)
Snack shack with site map posted
Port a jons
Some water holes and a pond

Although I had fun and I'm glad I went, its too far for me not to have More to enjoy than what they offered. I can see that MX track being the real magnet for folks but I couldnt wait till the end of the day to enjoy it. I will prolly never go back

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've done brown mt twice
Windrock 4 trips
Royal blue 3 trips
Durham town plantation in Georgia 2 trips
Carolina adventure world in s.carolina 1 trip
Daniel Boone national forest outlaw trails 1 trip
Hatfield McCoy 3 trips
Big cypress swamp in the Florida Everglades 1 trip
Oconee national forest in north Georgia 1 trip
It would be Impossible to pick a favorite because there are far to many great stories and memories.

·
Registered
367 Posts
ive been very blessed to say the least...
maybe I should've included my snowmobile trips???
: )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts