Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for experience with putting a tune on my car. It is a 2020 base turbo 120hp. I have the bigger fuel pump, intercooler off a 2020 195hp, and a set of evo lines. Im looking for advice on if i should have the ecu flashed or if i should buy a tuner to do it my self. Then the next problem is witch one to go with. I would like to see what people like and dislike and why.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
PV3 and Aftermarket Assassins is my vote. Tim

Reactions: ferrett21

·
Registered
147 Posts
Forget about EVO go with Whalen I've had a lot of Customers unhappy with their product including myself, customer service wasn't that great couldn't fix the problem that I was having ended up getting rid of their tune altogether and went elsewhere problem solved.When it comes to Whalen speed he's got it down

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
I agree with the PV3 and Whalen, Evo, Pwrtune are all good, personally I'm leaning towards Aftermarket Assassins they offer a wider variety of pump gas tunes so I can have less boost on trail rides, more for open desert, and about the same as the others for the dunes all for less money.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Just a note on the PV3 by Dynojet, their tune's are locked and the only way to make changes is by request thru them.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
anyone can make their own custom tune using the pv3
the problem is most have no clue how to tune...thats why there is tuners...lol
most tunes are locked by the tuner

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Registered
46 Posts
All the tuners will be very close at tuning peak hp because there is only so much you can do with fuel mapping and ignition timing. Tuning for peak power is easy and the drivability is the tough part. I've had both aftermarket assassins and Whalen and they both have great drivability and run good. Email them both and whoever answers first go with em.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what makes him the "best by far"
He does real R&D and his own tuning not a canned tune like many others, he tunes many platforms and he is a engine builder and a very good one. He is one of the few that actually shows his work , do some research before you choose for yourself

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm not knocking Whalen at all, I just feel your statement that he is the best by far is bias and just your opinion. There are lots of shops that build motors, port heads, and do lots of R&D. Hard to say companies like Evo, and Mr Rpm dont do R&D or build engines. It is also wrong to assume a shop that does tuning and offers their own tunes is not doing the R&D or if a shop doesnt do engine building that they are not top notch at turning, as far as I know most of the electronics shops like dynojet (you know, the folks that make the PC3 that Whalen uses) dont specialize in engine building. Thanks for the advise, I have dont my research, I did it with a open unbiased mind and found several shops that would provide me with great tunes

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
I'm not knocking Whalen at all, I just feel your statement that he is the best by far is bias and just your opinion. There are lots of shops that build motors, port heads, and do lots of R&D. Hard to say companies like Evo, and Mr Rpm dont do R&D or build engines. It is also wrong to assume a shop that does tuning and offers their own tunes is not doing the R&D or if a shop doesnt do engine building that they are not top notch at turning, as far as I know most of the electronics shops like dynojet (you know, the folks that make the PC3 that Whalen uses) dont specialize in engine building. Thanks for the advise, I have dont my research, I did it with a open unbiased mind and found several shops that would provide me with great tunes
The op asked for experience and opinions he gave his . Then you don’t agree and have to go into a big paragraph of what your opinion is. State your experience and opinion and move on don’t get on someone else because you don’t like their opinion. WTH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I had my 2018 base flashed and EVO did the flash and loved it never had a miss beat really improved the power of it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies. I do like the idea of having multiple tunes available on the pv3. Im not looking to go crazy with power but want to utilize whats available out of the setup. I also dont want to have problems to try and sort out.

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
I had the original dynojet then transitioned to the pv3 when it became available. .

I have 4 tunes from A.A. and they have worked great.

I have one tune on pump and three on various levels of race fuel.

I have it mounted on the dash with Mega's mount for easy access. Tim

Reactions: Hawk

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am using the PV3 from dynojet with KMS 91 octane tune and clutch kit. Kelly is a Phoenix-based tuner and I am really happy with my set up. In the end, all that matters is you have reliable power for what you are wanting to do. Look up KMS performance on youtube. Their 91 tune with clutching made a world of difference in my car. I didn't need a lot of help but the few questions I had about their clutch kit and the tune they were very responsive. They also have different levels of tunes depending on how wild you want to go as well, I only have the 91 and that is where I am stopping. :)

As someone else said in here, You want someone that is responsive to your needs.

Reactions: Hawk and Tmesic

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
KMS is very good and having a local guy is nice.

I had him time my last SXS turbo and do the clutch.

I just took my fuel injected streetbike to him a couple of months ago and had him dyno tune it.

He is a good choice also if you're local.

Tim

Reactions: Stricken
1 - 20 of 54 Posts