Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

looking for GPS recommendations....

Tags
gps
16K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  Black Diamond 
#1 ·
I had SimRad electronics in my boat, but I don't need anything that sophisticated. Wondering what/which GPS you folks are using in your Mavericks.

Any help appreciated!

thanks

#5 ·
I went with the Magellan TRX7. Works a lot like a vehicle nav and does what I need easily. (breadcrumbs, waypoints back to camp).
‘Wasn’t really looking for any mapping (although it does that),more just the ability to not get lost and get back to camp!

#24 ·
IMHO there isn't a perfect GPS system out there. I have an Ipad with a Garmin GLO antenna which I'm happy with. I use a few trail maps depending on where I am. I say that because by Murphy's Law with all the trails out there, you have to open a few programs to hopefully find one of them has the trail you are riding for the day. My go to favorites are Polaris Ride Command, Maps With Me, GAIA GPS, Magellan TRX, and Lead Nav.

#25 ·
Lifetime Trail maps...love ours, it has many settings to personalize to your liking and biggest advantage for me is it uses satellites and not cell towers. Thus works everywhere, whereas the cell service is spotting at best here in the eastern KY/TN mountains. Comes already loaded with several trails, color coded and labeled for easy identification and you can record and create your own trail maps for your personal riding areas.

#29 · (Edited)
I'm liking this option as a Tennessee rider. Looking for suggestions or recommendations. I visited their website and did a little GTS. Any advantage to buying your own Samsung tablet and then purchasing their mapping app? Which tablet did you purchase? Is it sometimes glitchy or pretty stable running the mapping software? I've never owned anything other than Apple products so not sure about the market. Thanks, Gary

#28 ·
loved my Lowrance Baja5, sold it with my Mav.
purchased the Magelen TX7 for my new Mav - pretty much hate it - glitchy pos
looking at going back to Lowrance elite 7ti2

#30 · (Edited)
I use an IPad and love it. There is a couple ways to use a tablet depending on the tablet. Tablets set up to use a cellular carrier has a built in GPS chip the WIFI only ones require a GPS input ( which isn’t a big deal) my old IPad worked good but it was the first version released and when I had all the maps for Windrock, Brimstone ,Trails End ( actually TWRA Royal Blue) and Ride Royal Blue( Sanquest TWRA ) it got a little slow so I traded up to an IPad Air and it works flawless but it’s only WIFI so to fix that I bought a GPS device called BAD ELF for $100 and it works great. With either option you DONT HAVE TO HAVE CELLULAR SERVICE as long as you download your riding area before leaving which is done using a tile format. Once you have your maps/ Topo or satellite and saved you will never have to do it again. All my maps are color coded by difficulty and you can add or build maps. You can also change colors of a trail if conditions change or you feel it’s easier or more difficult than the color marked.
If you already own a device this is the most cost effective way just use an Otter box or Life Proof type case to protect the tablet from mud or rain.

#31 ·
Those are all the trails that I would like to have maps for. I have an the original 9.7 iPad I think, with cellular. I should give this a shot before spending money on a Samsung then. Can you point me in a direction where you get your maps or what app to use?

#33 ·
I like my TRX7.

Attachments

#40 ·
I have relocated it to the crossbar overhead to help with the glare. Much better in that location.

#41 ·
No one uses the Backcountry Navigator app on a tablet? It has lots of topo map layers to choose from that can be downloaded for use away from cell service. I mainly navigate with my TRX7 but if I need to find a trail which is not on the Magellan, I can rely on the BCN app.

#42 ·
I use BCN on a 8" Samsung tablet. I have only the local trails that I ride on downloaded from the DNR. They display on the satellite map overlay. The satellite map shows the forest roads and county roads that we can ride on in Michigan. I like it. I have tried Popo ride command. It shows all the trails in the area including motorcycle and atv trails. I find it confusing because the overlapping trail icons are hard to follow at a glance when driving. My son, however, likes it better than BCN. To each his own. It's all good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.