Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
No one uses the Backcountry Navigator app on a tablet? It has lots of topo map layers to choose from that can be downloaded for use away from cell service. I mainly navigate with my TRX7 but if I need to find a trail which is not on the Magellan, I can rely on the BCN app.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I use BCN on a 8" Samsung tablet. I have only the local trails that I ride on downloaded from the DNR. They display on the satellite map overlay. The satellite map shows the forest roads and county roads that we can ride on in Michigan. I like it. I have tried Popo ride command. It shows all the trails in the area including motorcycle and atv trails. I find it confusing because the overlapping trail icons are hard to follow at a glance when driving. My son, however, likes it better than BCN. To each his own. It's all good.

·
Registered
428 Posts
BCN works without cell service. My tablet does not have a data plan, just wifi only. You need to have all your maps loaded before you go out in the wilderness. The GPS always works in our area.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have bcn pro and orux on my 10” Samsung tablet. I tend to use orux more as it has a lot more features and bells and whistles...not as intuitive to use though.

2018 X3 XDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Also, my tablet gps tracking is always spot on with my garmin gps...I’ve never lost signal in thick, tree covered mountains

2018 X3 XDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had SimRad electronics in my boat, but I don't need anything that sophisticated. Wondering what/which vehicle GPS in Mavericks.

Any help appreciated!

thanks
For anti-theft considerations, I used a hidden GPS. After a lot of comparisons, I chose spytec. This GPS can be installed in any position, it is fixed by magnets. The battery life is two and a half weeks, and the positioning accuracy is high (at least higher than most GPS). I also like landairsea very much, I will try it next time.

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
You guys are over thinking it. Good ol Lowrance unit used on ebay $300. 10.4” screen and weather proof with good antenna. Create maps on google earth and load on a SD card.

Ill be replacing my small Throphy 5 with the bigger unit, now to decide if it needs to be infront of steering wheel or in center of dash.

·
Registered
2019 Maverick XRC
80 Posts
I’ve tried lots of apps and I think lifetime trail maps is the best solution I’ve seen. Tons of preloaded trails, records your route, offline maps, highly customizable. If you want something cheaper Gaia is the next best thing I’ve found.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was using a Garmin Montana and it has good maps. Now using Lowrance HDS7 and LOVE it. So much easier to see and much easier to use once I go use to the different format. Maps are more difficult to get good ones depending on where you ride. Love the features to create and download routes and waypoints. I have pdf's of maps that I can pull up on the screen if needed.
Don't miss the Garmin at all.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts