Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw someone once that in their OEM cooler on the back of the Maverick they had some approximately 3" foam with several "soda" sized holes cut out. The foam was custom cut to fit the dimensions of the cooler. It was a neat idea so that your "sodas" weren't rolling around the cooler on a ride especially after the ice melted. Seems like maybe they would also absorb much of the coldness of the ice so when the ice did melt there would be some residual cooling effects if you didn't finish all of your "sodas".

I don't think it was purchased pre cut (who knows) but maybe cut to fit. Anyone know where to go to pick up blocks of foam that is cutable to make such a project? Not sure if Home Depot or Lowes carries the stuff. I haven't ever remembered to look when I've been there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah almost exactly like that. The foam came up nearer the top of the cans but that is the exact concept. But geeze, $16 for that! Seems steep for all that it is...
Thanks for posting the link!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Search "kaizen foam". Go crazy, post pics of your finished product

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
Kaizen Foam! That looks like it could just work!
Thank you!
No problem, glad to help. You can get multi color like black on top and red on the bottom to let you know you are missing a beverage or two

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you!
Kaizen is a term that large companies use to streamline a process. Toyota is king of Kaizen processes, everyone tries to be like them but it never works because their business model is different than many other companies. I worked for Honeywell for almost 30 years and they could never get it to work right in the aerospace/ Missile Defense areas. Kaizen is a real pain in the ass, yet if you don't do it you are not a team player...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Back in the late 80’s early 90’s those foam inserts were like $5 bucks for the little playmate 6 pack lunch box cooler!

i had an 85 250R with a 6 pack rack from accessories plus in escondido they made the rack and also sold the foam. The foam would only last a season or 2 and it would breakdown & wear out

·
Registered
531 Posts
Back in the late 80’s early 90’s those foam inserts were like $5 bucks for the little playmate 6 pack lunch box cooler!

i had an 85 250R with a 6 pack rack from accessories plus in escondido they made the rack and also sold the foam. The foam would only last a season or 2 and it would breakdown & wear out
Back in the day I had one of those in a playmate on my six pack rack on the banshee. I'd ride till I had 3 beverages and half a tank of fuel then it was time to return to camp. Lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you!
Kaizen is a term that large companies use to streamline a process. Toyota is king of Kaizen processes, everyone tries to be like them but it never works because their business model is different than many other companies. I worked for Honeywell for almost 30 years and they could never get it to work right in the aerospace/ Missile Defense areas. Kaizen is a real pain in the ass, yet if you don't do it you are not a team player...
I actually know all about kaizen as a work process. We follow LDM or Lean Daily Management which is the same process that Toyota uses but tailored for my company.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Go to any packing store in your area and they will have the foam. I did the same thing with foam from my work. About 3 inches thick, I cut it to shape fitting tightly in the cooler. Then traced cans on top with a sharpie, cut out with a knife. Cans fit in tight and don't bang around. Make sure you get the closed cell foam so it doesn't absorb water. Holds ice well, helps insulate even more than the cooler, and keeps water from sloshing around when ice melts. Any place that does commercial boxes or custom packaging should have sheets of it in stock and you could probably get trimmings.

On the Kaizen discussion I'm a Lean Sigma Green Belt in the electronics manufacturing industry. Lean works very well if you apply the principals correctly. Whole goal is to eliminate waste which could be materials, time, motion, etc. I've seen instances where a product being produced in a factory travels almost a mile before complete and being carried/moved to each station. Alignment of process and equipment to proper locations can significantly reduce the amount of movement to 100 feet if done properly and eliminates all the transport, carts, people etc. It works but you have to apply the concepts to your industry not simply copy another companies process.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Oh my effing word!
Here we bluster about knowledge of the latest fad in trying to get everybody enthusiastically participating in the development of something.
Kaizen is simply a word with a meaning, 'evolution' is the closest I can come up with, but it is just a word.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts