Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says. Looking for failures,complaints or positive feedback on what you have experienced. Thx

·
Premium Member
8,056 Posts
Sweet manufacturing makes a very good one that does not wobble. I bought a cheap knock off version and it didn't last a few months before it rattled and was loose, nothing like the Sweet manu.

removing the steering wheel gets old especially when you have to disconnect a push to talk button every time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have an NRG set up that is pretty slick. I had a POS Dragonfire set up in my Rzr that always felt like it was gonna fall off in my hands.

NRG makes them for all kinds of applications, not just the SXS industry. (sports cars, race cars, etc.) I think many of the "big name" SXS systems for the X3 are simply a rebranded NRG. It locks up very solid and super quick,,, no real fussing with the alignment. Goes on as fast as it comes off.

I don't remove it often, I don't need to remove it for access or anything. I use it mostly when it's being trailered or parked in camp overnight, but it's nice to have when I do want it.

Here is a LOOOOONG (kinda ridiculous) video,,, but it is a good example of how the NRG hub works.

Watch me

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not a fan unless actually needed. Everyone I have had has wobbled and twice my wheel has came off at speed (on 2 different rigs, obviously I did not latch it well but it did seem latched when I started)

·
Registered
2017 CanAm X3 XRS
71 Posts
I have a DFR model that was on my xp 900 for years. A little penetrating oil and it popped off and I installed on my X3, same spline, shaft size, and thread pitch. Never had any issues with wobble or it coming off on either units. I scored a grant steering wheel off a full size arcade racing game and it has held up for 9 years.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Never had any issues with wobble or it coming off on either units
Wow,,, as bad as mine was,,, that's shocking to hear. It was installed from the previous owner,,, so maybe they boned something upon install or f'ed up the splines??? I only had the rig for two trips to Glamis, so never really looked into it,,, figured it was how it was.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Run an Assault and have had no wobble or disconnects. Works as advertised but I find I use it very little.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The dragonfire one sucks. Stay away from the splined kind, even the quality Sweet version. They all loosen up over time and the wheel wobbles around. The NRG style not only has ball bearings which nest into pockets for a nice tight fit, the setup is keyed in such a way that the wheel is always straight. With the splined kind you can be a tooth or two off and now the wheel is crooked.

Reactions: warlock and Fasrnu

·
Registered
897 Posts
I bought a steering wheel, adapter and quick release from Assault, the quick release is an NRG unit. The ball detent design is great, no wobbles, it only lines up one way, it won't latch if it's off center. No complaints. I'd buy another one if I did it over again...

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I have an NRG set up that is pretty slick. I had a POS Dragonfire set up in my Rzr that always felt like it was gonna fall off in my hands.

NRG makes them for all kinds of applications, not just the SXS industry. (sports cars, race cars, etc.) I think many of the "big name" SXS systems for the X3 are simply a rebranded NRG. It locks up very solid and super quick,,, no real fussing with the alignment. Goes on as fast as it comes off.

I don't remove it often, I don't need to remove it for access or anything. I use it mostly when it's being trailered or parked in camp overnight, but it's nice to have when I do want it.

Here is a LOOOOONG (kinda ridiculous) video,,, but it is a good example of how the NRG hub works.

Watch me
I have the NRG setup and it's tight. I like it still.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 CanAm X3 XRS
71 Posts
The dragonfire one sucks. Stay away from the splined kind, even the quality Sweet version. They all loosen up over time and the wheel wobbles around. The NRG style not only has ball bearings which nest into pockets for a nice tight fit, the setup is keyed in such a way that the wheel is always straight. With the splined kind you can be a tooth or two off and now the wheel is crooked.
Not sure what version you had but I have over 3k hard miles on mine and it still works flawlessly. I have had it for 9 years and never had any issues with it wearing out. Maybe they make them cheaper now, mine is a 5 hole style and it is a spline. The blanket statement of DFR sucks is just your opinion.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Not sure what version you had but I have over 3k hard miles on mine and it still works flawlessly. I have had it for 9 years and never had any issues with it wearing out. Maybe they make them cheaper now, mine is a 5 hole style and it is a spline. The blanket statement of DFR sucks is just your opinion.
It is an aluminum hub that sits on steel splines. The steel wears out the aluminum and in short order the wheel is loose and wobbles around. No amount of dealing with DFR resulted in any real attempt at resolving the problem. It’s both an outdated design and a quality control issue. I stand by my assessment.

·
Registered
2017 CanAm X3 XRS
71 Posts

I cannot change your perception so I just agree to disagree. Maybe i got a decent one but I also have anti seize on my splines so maybe my maintenance has kept the slack fron forming. Now i am not a hard core racer but i do like the ability to pull my steering wheel and key when at camp. My goal is to slow any would be theif from choosing my unit because its pain in but the steal with no viable way to steer it.
However I am by no means belittling or denying your experience. Saying chevy sucks for an issue I had and you didn't in same vehicle would bring about the same kine of thinking but the guy how did not suffer my issue would render the same style of diallect, while you have a valued point, it does not cover everyone else's experience nor does it negate mine. I am not trying to be an ass only share my positive experience. I cant say they are the best buy for what it is is and the 9 years of trouble
Free operation is as valid as your point

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Glad you had a better experience than I did. Here you can see how much slop is in my setup after only about 6 months of use. And I don't take the wheel off every time I get in and out of the car, my setup is mostly for being able to crawl under the dash to work on stuff.
Sorry for the low quality but trying to demonstrate and hold the phone at the same time was difficult. In any event you can see how much slop there is just using one finger to wiggle the adapter around. At the edge of the wheel that's unacceptable. I probably wouldn't be so brazen in my assessment of the setup however if the customer service rep at DFR even pretended to GAS about trying to address it with me. Again, glad you got some good results out of this thing but if someone wants a recommendation I would tell them the NRG style adapter is 100 times better.

·
Registered
2017 CanAm X3 XRS
71 Posts
Glad you had a better experience than I did. Here you can see how much slop is in my setup after only about 6 months of use. And I don't take the wheel off every time I get in and out of the car, my setup is mostly for being able to crawl under the dash to work on stuff.
Sorry for the low quality but trying to demonstrate and hold the phone at the same time was difficult. In any event you can see how much slop there is just using one finger to wiggle the adapter around. At the edge of the wheel that's unacceptable. I probably wouldn't be so brazen in my assessment of the setup however if the customer service rep at DFR even pretended to GAS about trying to address it with me. Again, glad you got some good results out of this thing but if someone wants a recommendation I would tell them the NRG style adapter is 100 times better.
Man that sucks. I hate when I call a company and they try and make you feel dumb by saying no we never had any issue yet a quick search on the interwebz shows tons of problems. If this fails I will look at the NRG. I respect the fact that even though we had different experiences you kept it civil. Much respect Zambo. I hope to see you out in the trails some day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts