Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a total green pea in this side by side game. Last month I bought a 21 XRS RR for my first side by side. Now looking to add a second machine for the wife and kids. I’m looking for something in the sub 20k range. We will ride mostly sand, I’d say 80% with 20% trails. I’m not a loyal brand guy as I think all manufacturers have their pluses and minuses so hopefully this doesn’t get stuck in a fan boi brand bashing rut, although I do understand this is a maverick site so I will take some of that with a grain of salt. In “trying” to stay within budget, I have been looking at ore owned 19 and 20 RZR Xp non turbo and 19 and 20 talons. I’d consider an X3 in that price range but haven’t found any in my area. 100% of the time while toy shopping, budgets have been blown through the roof. This time I HAVE to stay within budget. With this seasoned group of riders, what would you get for your spouse in the less than 20k range? I went and looked at a 2020 RZR with 700 miles today and the guy came down from 17500 to 15,500 but there were some red flags and I passed on the deal for now. I may revisit but the big red flag is “the title is in the mail” after he told me on initial contact that he had it in hand. I may revisit this option IF the title shows up next week as he states as it seemed to be a pretty good deal and the machine seemed to be in decent shape. I missed out on a 2019 talon for $17000 that sold the day after I contacted the seller, before I could make it out to see it. I understand that condition is as important, if not more, than age and I’m not opposed to buying a somewhat older machine as long as the condition shows that it has been cared for. That seems pretty tough with these things because they really are made to beat on and that has a tendency to show. Looking forward to some suggestions and advice.

·
Premium Member
8,256 Posts
Polaris and Honda are going to be fine but you know condition and how is was taken care of will play in as well.

Personally I would shy away from pre X3 mavericks except maybe a 15 or 16 XDS OR XRS turbo. EDIT, TWO SEATER ONLY . No 4 seater.

Tim

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts
I'll probably get crucified for this response, but if as you say "HAVE TO" stay at or under budget, I would recommend taking a look at the Wildcat XX for the wife. It definitely isn't going to win any speed contests, LOL. But it's well made, pretty good suspension, and you can buy a brand new one for around $18K.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
656 Posts
I'd probably look for a 1000 XP. A relative just bought one new for $19k cash. Expand your search into AZ, UT, and ID and you'll find what you want. I was in Dennis Dillon (Boise) a few weeks ago and they had some lower end Polaris units.

·
Premium Member
8,256 Posts
I'll probably get crucified for this response, but if as you say "HAVE TO" stay at or under budget, I would recommend taking a look at the Wildcat XX for the wife. It definitely isn't going to win any speed contests, LOL. But it's well made, pretty good suspension, and you can buy a brand new one for around $18K.
WTF? Get the rope!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Tim

·
Registered
10,460 Posts
Be best if you could find another X3. As Mega stated having the same car makes it easy when dealing with parts or belts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well…. Looking at a 17 X3 rs r with 1700 miles. They’re asking 22 but offered 20. This is where it gets me. The old “if I just spend a little more”. I call it budget creep and it’s a very real phenomenon and I’m a sucker. It’s 6 hours away and I’d still have to pay taxes of 9% soooo…. Do I just put an order in for a 22 RS RR and wait? It’s only XXXX more.

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts
Well…. Looking at a 17 X3 rs r with 1700 miles. They’re asking 22 but offered 20. This is where it gets me. The old “if I just spend a little more”. I call it budget creep and it’s a very real phenomenon and I’m a sucker. It’s 6 hours away and I’d still have to pay taxes of 9% soooo…. Do I just put an order in for a 22 RS RR and wait? It’s only XXXX more.
So, your budget is no budget, LOL! Get the 22!

Reactions: Isellacuras

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, your budget is no budget, LOL! Get the 22!
Well? I don’t know that’s a safe thing to do with my wife. She’s the accountant/CFO. It started at 15-17. Then 18. She doesn’t know I’m up to 20. Lol. I’m already on the edge being that she thinks I bought an RS R for 5000 less than the XRS RR. Not sure I can pull off those shenanigans twice. She’s pretty bright. I know she’s gonna catch me one of these days.

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts
Well? I don’t know that’s a safe thing to do with my wife. She’s the accountant/CFO. It started at 15-17. Then 18. She doesn’t know I’m up to 20. Lol. I’m already on the edge being that she thinks I bought an RS R for 5000 less than the XRS RR. Not sure I can pull off those shenanigans twice. She’s pretty bright. I know she’s gonna catch me one of these days.
I have 2 sayings: "You can't take it with you". "Buy Once, Cry Once".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And has anyone modified an 18’ trailer to fit 2 x3’s? I ha e some ideas but not sure how safe it would be. Lol. My wife is gonna be pissed. 😂

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts
And has anyone modified an 18’ trailer to fit 2 x3’s? I ha e some ideas but not sure how safe it would be. Lol. My wife is gonna be pissed. 😂
There's no way 2 X3s are fitting in an 18' trailer. I have a 28' trailer, and they fit well, with about 4 or so feet to spare.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's no way 2 X3s are fitting in an 18' trailer. I have a 28' trailer, and they fit well, with about 4 or so feet to spare.
We’ll, I disagree. Just found this on the forum.

How to fit 22' of SXSs on a 18' trailer

Similar to what I was thinking with the ramp up front. I don’t have a tailgate so I planned to do a couple extensions off the back as well so I wouldn’t need as much overhang on the front. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. Angle iron and flat bar are cheap and a creative brain is free. It would only be temporary til I can convince the wife we need a 24 or 28’ enclosed so she can have the garage back for her Jeep to park in.

·
Premium Member
8,256 Posts

Similar to what I was thinking with the ramp up front. I don’t have a tailgate so I planned to do a couple extensions off the back as well so I wouldn’t need as much overhang on the front. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. Angle iron and flat bar are cheap and a creative brain is free. It would only be temporary til I can convince the wife we need a 24 or 28’ enclosed so she can have the garage back for her Jeep to park in.
Keep in mind that the XP is shorter. You need more like 23 feet for 2 X3's and that is sardine packing for sure.

To make all this easier you might want to trade in your wife! 😂😂😂
Tim

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts

Sorry, I thought you were talking enclosed trailer. Yeah, I've seen some pretty ingenious / crazy 🤪 ways of loading 2 SXSs on a flatbed trailer. Whatever works!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well? Bit the bullet and joined the dark side. This will give me an idea of which machines I like better. Picked up a super clean low mile 17 XP turbo. Again this will primarily be my wife’s car and she won’t push hard at all. My guess is my son will drive it more than my wife. Now to figure out how to fit a. X3 and a RZR on an 18 ft flatbed. Going to sand mountain or winnemucca this weekend so will have to do something temporarily.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 30 Posts