Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using my Maverick to race in T.O.R.N. (cross country racing) that requires a dead engine start. I have the only maverick in my class, and I'm last off of the starting line by huge margins while the Polaris gang runs off and leaves me. The Can Am takes forever to crank over. Who knows how to make the Maverick start faster? converting to a 12 volt system and tweaking the programming, etc.?

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
its already a 12v system. swap to a larger battery. also its 12:1 compression and takes alot to turn it over.

search and you will find more info abou the starter too.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
the warmer u get the old style starter the longer it will crank having a cold starter cranks fast !

what do u think we have a 1969 vw bug with a 6 volt system ?lol

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm running two battery's and its cranks over a little quicker.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got the starter upgraded when my original one died and it cranks quite a bit faster!

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
maybe one of the gncc guys will post what they are doing to make them beat those popos off the line i think the last race the maverick with died engine start got the holeshot

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I think I read on here awhile ago some of the racers were adding another battery and running 24v to the starter only. Do a search you might find it on here.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Surely no one is running 24 volts to the starter. They may be running 2 12 volt batteries in parrellel but if they ran them in series I think 24 volts would burn sum shit up.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'm using my Maverick to race in T.O.R.N. (cross country racing) that requires a dead engine start. I have the only maverick in my class, and I'm last off of the starting line by huge margins while the Polaris gang runs off and leaves me. The Can Am takes forever to crank over. Who knows how to make the Maverick start faster? converting to a 12 volt system and tweaking the programming, etc.?

Make sure your battery has a FULL charge on it.
If it does, then you might want to get an upgraded battery with higher cranking amps.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Surely no one is running 24 volts to the starter. They may be running 2 12 volt batteries in parrellel but if they ran them in series I think 24 volts would burn sum shit up.
A lot of the gncc quad guys Run 24 volt to just the starter I bet the jb canam team runs it

·
Registered
424 Posts
We've done it quite a bit. I have a bike that's had a 24 volt starter system for 2 years and am still on the same starter

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally spoke with someone (experienced racer) who has resolved this issue on their personal Maverick. Here's what I have been told: Add another 12v battery to the existing battery, but only run the 24v to the solenoid. They also claim that they have had their ECU re-programmed to start on the first revolution instead of the 3 required revolutions that is programmed on stock. Is this true?

Anyhow, the additional battery to the solenoid sounds like a start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts