Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im new to the forum and looking to get a SxS in the near future. I know it will be a Can Am for sure just undecided between the commander and the maverick. I am a big fan of the style and set up of the maverick and being that they are a fairly new bike for Can Am what kind of bugs im going to run into. I know the clutches suck and will be replaced not sure with what yet I have the QSC set up on my outty and love it. Once again looking for some input. I Live in East Texas and ride Mud Creek alot so it will for sure have snorkels and more than likely 32 terms. being that this will be my first SxS im not sure what i will need to upgrade and beef up so to say to handle what i want to do with it. I know im more less talking about taking a out of the box sand rail and planning on driving it though mud and water thats no telling how deep. I have been looking at the XXC model due to the 60 inch stance my biggest concern with that is how hard it will be to find axels for it or if they are the same as a commander? also if i go with the XRS model how hard is it to get down the trails with aftermarket wheels and tires?
Any input would be awesome and thanks in advance

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought an XRS 6 weeks ago, I have had no clutch issues, Ive read that others have, not sure if it is a case by case basis or if mine will go soon. I have only put on 15 hrs however I ride it hard prob. Too hard and I have not had any issues.... I looked at the Maverick X, Commander, and XRS. From what I understood (Im not a mechanic) the commander was more utility not nearly as fast and does not have the best high speed trail suspension, the X has the same power plant as the XRS however lacks the digital insterment cluster, two tone seats, cant remember what else..... the suspension was the biggest seller for me if you look at the shocks side by side there is a huge difference, the XRS is huge compared to the X the cost difference was like 1500 if I remember, not much in the big pic if your already spendIing 15K+ and if its financed its like 20 a month. I never rode an x or a commander the XRS is my first side by side and I am very happy with it would highly reccomend. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Clutches are fine for a stock machine u will need an upgrade for 32s though.I just came from a commander love the mav it suits my riding style the best, soaks up bumps great. Also im pretty sure you wouldn't be able to stuff a 32 on a commander. I had 29.5 terms on mine and would rub a little and to much of a lift and your axles become suspect.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
canam don't really have any lagging serious issues that effect multiple units, the clutch they resolved months back for the average rider
I have both a can am commander and a maverick xrs......I would say the XRS with support your riding style best. The suspension on the commander is more setup for general riding and work horse activities of all different nature. Not really set up for anything Specific so to speak..!! Good luck and have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Hello Mr. G-T. Welcome. The forum is a great place to get info. on issues. The clutch issue is pretty much taken care of through a recall, starter issue also. Personally I wrote the forum for a (RATTLE) I am still having a issue with so if you are leaning toward the maverick (can't beat that ROTAX engine) I would highly recommend starting it up at the shop and rev. to 4,400 rpm and up. You will know right then if it has the (RATTLE) up in front of engine, it is not just some bolts rolling around. My shop is still talking to BRP about it and other Mavricks they received.I am afraid they are selling out the door..... Happy trails.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My friend I would put my money on the rattle being the drive clutch. If you want here a rattle get in a razor with full cab on it.
Mine has that rattle but I can't hear it over the wind going by.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Mav all the way, I've had some clutch issues early on, I've had mine since the first of October and have had it in the shop twice because of clutch issues, one it was chugging like either a burnt belt or not enough clamping force, dealer told me it was "normal". Second time the bolt backed out of the secondary and tore up the helix, both were covered on warranty. I've bought the STM secondary and have a QSC primary on order because I want peace of mine and the obvious performance gains. You can't go wrong with the Mav.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info guys. it will be a couple of months before i go and pull the trigger on one just exploring options. I ride with a pretty good size group with everything from commanders to a honda recon250 lol so i have drove the 13 limited commander and i wasnt impressed with the ride at all and even with the extended trailing arms and the air ride set to max it doesnt have much GC another thing that got me to eyeing the maverick. I have heard that you can turn the shocks up on them and clear up to 34s without a bracket lift if you dont care to loose your teeth and kidneys when you ride over a bump. what im getting at is if i go with a bracket lift do i lose the ride still as if i just turned the shocks way up? My goal is to get it the way i want it when i go get it. I made the mistake if you will when i bought my outty in 2010 i did all the work my self one piece at a time. It turned out awesome just seemed like i was always working and tweeking on it after every ride not because i broke something but because it didnt quite work like i thought it should. No im not saying i wont have that issue with whatever i buy would just like it to be alot closer to done when i get it lol if thats even possible

1 - 11 of 11 Posts