Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here looking to buy my first Maverick X3. Looking at a 2017 Turbo R. What is the difference between the engine in the 2017 and the latest models? I typically tend to shy away from initial launch years for new vehicles. Maybe its dumb but always think there are some kinks for the manufacturer to work out in the first couple years

Have the 2017 models tended to be reliable (in regards to later models)?
Anything to look out for with the 2017's?
Anything else I should be aware of when looking at 2017 models?

I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time on here :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right now my options are a 2017 Turbo R with low miles or a 2018 XRC with around 1,000 miles. Given everything else besides that is the roughly same (price, accessories, ...) which would be a better model to go with?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe, I dunno, isn’t the XRC the “rock crawling” version
Yep. The XRC was designed for rock crawling. And I know with the 2017 you can get the BRP engine upgrade to get you up to 172 HP as well. So HP would be a lot more on the 2017... I just dont know if that is enough to outweigh the other benefits the RC has (locking front diff, better power steering, ... what else?)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
The 64” xrc is 120 hp. The 72” xrc is 172. Which one are you looking at? The only issue is at around 4K miles the ring gear in the rear diff will let go. Give or take a few miles. If you’re looking at the the turbo r version 72” it would be a no brainer. Buy it instead of the 17. Better power steering , smart lock and a few other minor oem stuff. 17 models are good buggies. I just would rather have a 18 xrc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. If the RC only has 1000 miles, how low are the miles on the turbo R? 1000 miles is nothing. The 17s are fine, I have one, and a 19. Basically get yourself some lower a arms, look into some shock tuning, and front brace, gusset kit, and possibly clutch work "IF" you want too. Read up on here, ask questions, and learn just like everyone else has. IMO, get the R with the horsepower. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome from Tucson AZ. If the RC only has 1000 miles, how low are the miles on the turbo R? 1000 miles is nothing. The 17s are fine, I have one, and a 19. Basically get yourself some lower a arms, look into some shock tuning, and front brace, gusset kit, and possibly clutch work "IF" you want too. Read up on here, ask questions, and learn just like everyone else has. IMO, get the R with the horsepower. Good luck.
The 17 has very low miles (couple hundred or less). And I believe also has the BRP upgrade kit so it has 172 HP. The RC is a 64"

2017 Pros: lower miles, more HP
2018 RC Pros: better front diff, better power steering (?), one year newer model

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Do you want a 72” or a 64”? Where do you ride ? You can buy e power steering for the 17 model but no smartlock. About 750-800$. You can upgrade the 64” to 172 for about 2k. If no need for smart lock then I’d buy the 17 model and upgrade power steering. Depends on where you ride at .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you want a 72” or a 64”? Where do you ride ? You can buy e power steering for the 17 model but no smartlock. About 750-800$. You can upgrade the 64” to 172 for about 2k. If no need for smart lock then I’d buy the 17 model and upgrade power steering. Depends on where you ride at .
It would mainly be just a toy to have fun with. Don't go to any courses or dunes or anything like that. Couple times a year might take it out on the trails but that would be fairly leisurely driving from bar to bar :) Nothing hard code by any means

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My biggest concerns were just reliability with it being the first year they offered them. Plus, with the BRP engine upgrade kit on the 2017, is that going to be problematic down the road? So I would be willing to sacrifice some features to gain better reliability. If reliability will be the same for both of them (taking into account the engine upgrade) I may just see which one I can get a better deal on, as it sounds like there isnt any hands down reason to choose one over the other? Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
If your just riding from bar to bar then no get what ever is cheaper. Are both you’re looking at 64” wide? No need for upgrades if you’re not going to be riding it other than that

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your just riding from bar to bar then no get what ever is cheaper. Are both you’re looking at 64” wide? No need for upgrades if you’re not going to be riding it other than that
Yes, both are 64. Does the 2017 have the same base engine in it as the 2018 (and 2019 and 2020)? I know with the newest ones they added an intercooler to get more HP... but are all engines the same and then its just a matter of the turbo setup they have? Or was the 2017 turbo a totally different engine than the 2018 (and 2019 and 2020)?

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Me, if I have to choose, I have always rated horsepower above anything, and everything. Basically because horsepower costs more than other mods, so you're ahead of the game. But it sounds like you might not need it. Tough decision, good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Yes, both are 64. Does the 2017 have the same base engine in it as the 2018 (and 2019 and 2020)? I know with the newest ones they added an intercooler to get more HP... but are all engines the same and then its just a matter of the turbo setup they have? Or was the 2017 turbo a totally different engine than the 2018 (and 2019 and 2020)?
Engine changes in the 2020 models. Idk on the 64” model on the 2020. I’ve never really looked at them on any year . 2017 models had intercooler also . 64” models do not after 2017. So the 17 model you’re looking at does have intercooler . 18-19 engines are the same minus intercooler and fuel pump on 64”. I would look at accessories on both used machines and go from there. Doesn’t seem like you’re gonna do any real riding so either would work for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ended up going with the 2017. It has less than 50 miles on it. Options it came with are, BRP engine upgrade kit (to get 172 HP), BRP winch, BRP skid plate, BRP front bumper, BRP rear soft window, BRP 4 point seat belts, BRP half windshield, aftermarket side mirrors, aftermarket aluminum half doors. It is the black / white model - triple black is my favorite, but it'll do :)

Its my first SxS... way faster than I thought.

I really want to get a 40" light bar above the windshield and a 10" light bar on the shock tower

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Research before you buy a big ass light bar. It reflects more than it helps you see. Tons on threads on this . A good set of cubes on the bumper or a good 10” bar on the shock tower or bumper will be your best bet. Now I said good not Amazon or eBay specials . You get what you pay for. I thought differently for years and went cheap on the lights. Now I will never go cheap again . My rigid cubes on the bumper work better than my old curved light bar I just had to have.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts