Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to do the first scheduled maintenance on my XRS 1000 because I don't trust the stealership and they want $600. to do it. Decided to support the dealership by buying the supplies there. Well, $67 for two filters, the o-rings and the drain plug gaskets and I have changed my mind. I won't go back unless there is a warranty repair needed. Top it off, the counter guy and I were chatting (before I saw the price) and I mentioned my XRS. He replied that the Maverick is OK as long as you don't feel the need to "keep up with the Jones's" and get an XP1000. WTF.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Man I feel good. I only paid $375 in Henderson.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My 10 hr service was $355 but I also removed and replaced all my console plastic's and the skidplate

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
welcome to the forum and enjoy the new ride! Yea, if you are able to tackle this yourself, you will be much better off and quite a bit of $$$ ahead. Regarding your dealers comments about the XP1000........sure if all you are interested in is the newest model on the market and want to drop an extra $5K just to have it. Do some reading in here and you will see the Maverick is just as good or better than the XP in just about every category.... You will enjoy your Maverick.....go ride the hell out of it and stay up on your maintenance and you will be extremely happy in the long run....

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Oh yeah....welcome to the forum and congrats on the new toy

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
oh and I paid $0 for mine as I had them throw it in for free when I purchased the Maverick :smile:

Reactions: HandyManDan

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
oh and I paid $0 for mine as I had them throw it in for free when I purchased the Maverick :smile:
Damn, I need to learn how to be a better negoitator.
My problem was I had to have the first one, since my kawi had a blown motor and was 10 mos away from being fixed. :disappointed:

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Damn, I need to learn how to be a better negoitator.
My problem was I had to have the first one, since my kawi had a blown motor and was 10 mos away from being fixed. :disappointed:
It was all about the timing...I bought mine in July when the deals on the 13's started to get really good.....oh and it was the wife who negotiated. I was ready to cut a check at $15K with no accessories or discounts.....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Damn, I feel even better now since I did the complete service myself. No way would I drop that kind of cash. I do NOT have any confidence in most every stealer I've been in, and feel most will shortchange you by cutting corners because "you'll never know the difference". At least I know the job was done completely and done right, and don't have any doubts to concern me. And with the added bonus of becoming much more familiar with the machine it's just another positive of DIY.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I agree, I do it myself, I have seen first hand dealerships, not just one or two, even ones who was thought to be trusted screw over people. not only is 500-700 a robbery, but half the time they wont do the full service and claim they do. as to the Polaris comment, call brp and let them know the dealership is doing that..welcome and you have the best sxs on the market, don't let the claim of 7 more hp fool you. there both limited at top to upper 70's.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree, do it yourself. . . .I called all the dealers in San Diego and they all wanted right around $600. . . .then one of the service guys said we can do it for $300 if we don't check the valve adjustment. He went on to say that its not necessary cause every time they check the valves on different Mavs, its within tolerance. So then I got on here, and all the guys who checked the valves themselves all stated the same thing, no adjustment required. . . .So I did everything except checking the valves and got away with payin only $120. . . .and most importantly, I know ALL the fluids got changed.. . .. . .

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I agree, do it yourself. . . .I called all the dealers in San Diego and they all wanted right around $600. . . .then one of the service guys said we can do it for $300 if we don't check the valve adjustment. He went on to say that its not necessary cause every time they check the valves on different Mavs, its within tolerance. So then I got on here, and all the guys who checked the valves themselves all stated the same thing, no adjustment required. . . .So I did everything except checking the valves and got away with payin only $120. . . .and most importantly, I know ALL the fluids got changed.. . .. . .
Check your valves after about 20-25 hours and you will probably see them slightly out or just within the limits

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I think checking your valves still should be done at the "10 hour service" just for peace of mind. The rotax engine is great and reliable but I'm sure the engine failure rate is not 0%. Your suppose to retorque the heads anyway. You might as well check the valves too.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The re-torque of the heads is suggested in the owners manual but not in the service manual for some reason. I would also check the valves.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts