Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well went to a great poker run this past weekend. 30 miles of dust little bit of mud on the trails and lots of laughs! After about 15-16 miles things got a little warmer than I liked. I'm not a mudder first of all but come on, damn thing kept overheating. Hi temp message kept coming across and limp mode activated. 3 freaking times. Cleaned both sides of rad the best I could for what I had to work with. I'm guessing when I cleaned it I didn't let the radiator cleaned and dried enough. Guessing the dust just stuck to it even more cause of being wet. Anybody else experience this while out ridding. Thinking about relocating rad but not crazy having it hanging on cage near my head. last time it puked out of reservoir. Got it home and put anti-freeze in along with some water wet by redline. Now gotta try and mod so mud doesn't collect but still keeps air flowing to it. Any tips from anyone?

·
Registered
227 Posts
is the fan coming on??? I had the same problem and it was the relay/fuse..its a good thing that it goes into limp mode to save the motor though

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
make sure fan is working , system is fully burped with front end jacked up car running

also there is a mod to remove the Y fittings with the coolant lines to get rid of something to keep it running cooler, ask about it on the facebook page called maverick addiction there is a drawling on there

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes fan is working. Just hard to believe it plugged up the rad that quick.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting a good cleaning and taking front grill piece off for now

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
there is a big bunch of us that run them hard in the dunes and never get hot ,

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I was summing it up that they can handle to be drivin hard just not in mud,

shouldn't u be petting ur kitty ? lol

im sure there is sum broken down kitty's that need ur info on there forum lol

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
make sure fan is working , system is fully burped with front end jacked up car running

also there is a mod to remove the Y fittings with the coolant lines to get rid of something to keep it running cooler, ask about it on the facebook page called maverick addiction there is a drawling on there

·
Registered
227 Posts
Glamisfan what part is that #270?? thermostat?? looks interesting..I run my Mav in hot and humid tropical wheather and this mod might be on the horizon..

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Be careful removing the themostat…..on some vehicles, you need heat in the engine and in the cooling system otherwise the ECM will never think the vehicle has warmed up and will cause it to no perform as well as it should. I would try to find the cause of the issue because it isn't right. I ride frequently in 105'+ temperatures and have never had it overheat or put it in limp mode…..and I don't even have the fan override kit installed…..sounds like you might have an obstruction in the cooling system….or possibly even air in the system like Benzo eluded too…heck, it wouldn't be out of the question to have a faulty thermostat either. Wouldn't be the first one I have seen.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
thx glamisman !

·
Registered
502 Posts
I run mud all the time my last ride we were out with ALot of people n they were all getting stuff in front of us so it was alot of sitting n I didn't shut it off everytime. Also I was going through some real deep muck (checking out the new snorkels) towards the end of the day me n my maverick buddy were the only ones Not break down at some point then on the way back I started running warm not overheating but one two bars from the top so I stopped n looked at the radiator n it was packed tight full of mud. I made Everybody look at it because when there poopoo rads look at mud they overheat mine looked like a stuffed pepper (I know who says stuffed pepper) honestly straight up packed full but I didn't go into limp mode no overheat signs no bells or whistles it was 90 degrees out too.
All I'm saying is it Could be more than a "stuffed" radiator

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did some work on it Sunday and drove it around the yard and road. Three bars were lit up but didn't get to run it as much as I wanted. Everything is topped off. Taken the front plastic part off this evening and checking out the rad even more. Fan works also.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I play in mud too and so far so good on mine. Now I do wash it good . I think something else is wrong.

·
Registered
395 Posts
For a year now, as you can see, riding right on some ones rear. Sloppy mud, snow, dust, always washed IMG_1060.JPG it out good when I get home. Never had an issue. This picture is from WV last weekend

1 - 20 of 21 Posts