Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a lithium ion battery in their X3? My original is about to take a dump, so I'm looking to replace/upgrade. I run a Shorai lithium ion in my old 2008 Kawasaki KFX450 and it's still going strong after several years. It can sit over a year without riding (after X3 purchase :)) and it still cranks fast.

Just wondering if anyone is running one like this in their X3 and what their impressions are so far...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FIUMOG

·
Registered
872 Posts
I just read the guide, and I’m just thinking out loud, all these cool lightweight lithium batteries use special chargers. How is the magneto based charging circuits on our engines compatible? Will the standard charging circuits damage these different flavors of batteries. The standard lead-acid style everyone uses charges fine with pretty much any charger.

Shorter version, lithium batteries, at home need specific chargers. But charging circuits in the X3 is bueno?

im probably overthinking the whole thing....

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I just read the guide, and I’m just thinking out loud, all these cool lightweight lithium batteries use special chargers. How is the magneto based charging circuits on our engines compatible? Will the standard charging circuits damage these different flavors of batteries. The standard lead-acid style everyone uses charges fine with pretty much any charger.

Shorter version, lithium batteries, at home need specific chargers. But charging circuits in the X3 is bueno?

Very good point which flew right over my head, you caught my interest to the subject, would imagine a converter of some type since this will be the future battery.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Yep, I run the largest Shorai 36Ah and she cranks a lot harder than stock Same size as stock only 4lbs. You only really need to use their BMS charger if it becomes deeply discharged. Otherwise a simple battery tender works fine. As mentioned these batteries have very little to any self discharge (unlike lead acid) while in storage so tenders really arent needed. I’ve monitored charging voltage on the X3 and its always within nominal limits recommended by Shorai.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have not had good luck with Shorai, I swear by earthX

·
Registered
66 Posts
i'm running one first one was bad out of the box they exchanged it and no problems from it, have had it over a year now
Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 Extreme Rate Lithium Iron Powersports Battery

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I currently have 3 Shorai’s. Two smaller in my ATVs and one larger in my X3. No problems with any of them. They seem to have a pretty good warranty program as well.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I assume these can be mounted in any orientation, not just upright?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I found the shorai on fleabay for 255 shipped. The equivalent wps is only 139 shipped. The shorai has higher cca, but who cares. You can put 2 wps in for almost the same $$, and have a lot morre cca, and more importantly AH's. Ater all, we're not trying to crank over a 6 liter diesel here, just a little 900cc. The double battery setup is not that heavy, and should provide good reserve for big lights/boom boxes.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I found the shorai on fleabay for 255 shipped. The equivalent wps is only 139 shipped. The shorai has higher cca, but who cares. You can put 2 wps in for almost the same $$, and have a lot morre cca, and more importantly AH's. Ater all, we're not trying to crank over a 6 liter diesel here, just a little 900cc. The double battery setup is not that heavy, and should provide good reserve for big lights/boom boxes.
What is the wps model number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I don't see that battery for $139 anywhere, you got a link? That model is about $220 give or take on amazon and ebay.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ran a lithium on a RZR900 few years back and even then it was a great upgrade/battery and no charging issues. Threw out my back picking it up first time expecting a typical heavy battery LOL. One will be going in my X3 next as nice to shed a good amount of pounds and could still double up and be less weight.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts

EarthX requires no special charger, and is American Made!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts