Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the quest for more power... i have a 2019 x3 turbo base on the preliminary list of mods for more power obviously and intercooler is pretty close to the top of the list. Ive dabbled in high horsepower street cars and am no stranger to boost.

Im toying with the idea of a liquid to air intercooler setup and was curious if anyone on here has attempted or successfully installed something of the sort. I know the air to air setup is the easiest route and im sure it does the job but a liquid setup would be much more efficient at preventing heat soak.

Shot in the dark here any and all input is appreciated.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Packard performace seems to run them on all their high HP YXZ builds i noticed at UTV invasion. For the reasons you mentioned. I think Push turbo does also i was reading on their site

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Unless you have a way of keeping the water cold for the intercooler it will soon heat up and be hotter than the ambient air temperature. Then there's the weight and extra parts to fail withe a liquid to air intercooler has to interface with the cars cooling system. I had good luck years ago with no intercooler so there are also other ways to cool the charge intake if you want to go that route also.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
want cooler temps, run e85
but, liquid cooled works sweet on pwc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unless you have a way of keeping the water cold for the intercooler it will soon heat up and be hotter than the ambient air temperature. Then there's the weight and extra parts to fail withe a liquid to air intercooler has to interface with the cars cooling system. I had good luck years ago with no intercooler so there are also other ways to cool the charge intake if you want to go that route also.

A water to air cooler dose not use any part of the stock cooling system. It has it own radiator, reservoir and a electric pump. It is more efficient at cooling then air to air. Charge temps can stay cooler which allows you to run more boost and still be safe.

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
A water to air cooler dose not use any part of the stock cooling system. It has it own radiator, reservoir and a electric pump. It is more efficient at cooling then air to air. Charge temps can stay cooler which allows you to run more boost and still be safe.
Geez you didn't get what Warlock was saying. You couldn’t carry enough water and ice for a dune ride without it getting hotter than ambient temps.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Well what happens or should I say how long does it take for the liquid to heat up past ambient air temperature. Then at that point it maintains a higher heat in the intercooler. These cars don't have any great speed to really help cool the intercooler water any better like a car.

394 Posts
I run and sell the C&R intercooler with 10" Spal and its hands down the best setup for keeping iat's cool on the X3. Like Warlock and Mega said, water is good if your building a short run drag car where you can use a ice tank on a air to water setup. But if your on long dune or desert or trail rides the water is going to heat up above ambient air temp and actually be worse for power. So depends on what your planning on doing with the machine.

·
Premium Member
7,361 Posts
For air to air, the C&R is the way to go.

But if the water to air is a stand alone system, i dont see it getting that hot, and i would guess it would cool even better than air to air. An air to air radiator would not work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When the turbo compreses the air it gets very hot way past ambient. A good water to air system can cool charged air down to 5-10 deg. above ambent temp which is lower then a air to air sytem can do I don't think there is room for a good water air system but it could work better still. He did state it has to interface with the car cooling system which it dose. not..

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am a fan of air to water in a lot of applications but look at all the heat soak issues OEM's have with it on cars. It takes a lot of airflow across the intercooler system's radiator to keep the water from steadily rising in temp if you ride hard for extended times. While the water is fairly cool the system removes more heat (if properly designed) than an air to air but once the water heats up that changes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am a fan of air to water in a lot of applications but look at all the heat soak issues OEM's have with it on cars. It takes a lot of airflow across the intercooler system's radiator to keep the water from steadily rising in temp if you ride hard for extended times. While the water is fairly cool the system removes more heat (if properly designed) than an air to air but once the water heats up that changes.
I agree.

There are advantages to the air to water. You can have the shortest path possible from the turbo to the intercooler. Air to water works well so long as you have a heat exchanger that can keep up (similar to an intercooler). I have used them successfully in street driven applications.

·
Premium Member
7,361 Posts
What you are forgetting is that you have an 200 degree engine that is heating that coolant up on a car radiator. If you have a water to air that is a separate system, there is only the intercooler that heats it up and it would not heat the coolant near as much as an engine would.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
The extra plumbing headaches possible issues that go with more shit to fail on an off road car. More weight. I see zero benefits for air to water.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
You have obviously never logged air intake temps then.
On these cars I don't see it working that much better than a simple air to air. Marginal. Benefit is not worth the extra bs involved if it was people would be doing it years ago. Just saying.
I ran a Turbo 800 for years with no intercooler and had zero problems. I do believe if you built a boost injection mechanical injector to pump some methanol or water into the intake tract you could have some easy gains.

·
Premium Member
7,361 Posts
On these cars I don't see it working that much better than a simple air to air. Marginal. Benefit is not worth the extra bs involved if it was people would be doing it years ago. Just saying.
I ran a Turbo 800 for years with no intercooler and had zero problems. I do believe if you built a boost injection mechanical injector to pump some methanol or water into the intake tract you could have some easy gains.

I am really not trying to be a jerk here, but do you even know what temps some people are seeing? Try over 200*F on a warm day. So many people don't have a clue, they buy all this shit, slap it on, and then run their mouths like it is the best, why? only because it is what they have purchased. No factual data or anything to back that up. I am not meaning to direct this at anyone specific, so please don't take offense warlock, I would like to buy you a beer at the Sancho, but I am so sick and tired of opinions being spouted off just simply because someone spent X dollars on something, so it must be the best. If you are fine with 200* intake temps, then so be it. I am not.

The C&R intercooler is head and shoulders above anything else I have seen so far, it was at least 20-30* cooler. But that doesn't mean I don't think there is room for improvement. I agree adding weight is not ideal, but keeping intake temps 20* over ambient would be well worth the weight.

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
I am really not trying to be a jerk here, but do you even know what temps some people are seeing? Try over 200*F on a warm day. So many people don't have a clue, they buy all this shit, slap it on, and then run their mouths like it is the best, why? only because it is what they have purchased. No factual data or anything to back that up. I am not meaning to direct this at anyone specific, so please don't take offense warlock, I would like to buy you a beer at the Sancho, but I am so sick and tired of opinions being spouted off just simply because someone spent X dollars on something, so it must be the best. If you are fine with 200* intake temps, then so be it. I am not.

The C&R intercooler is head and shoulders above anything else I have seen so far, it was at least 20-30* cooler. But that doesn't mean I don't think there is room for improvement. I agree adding weight is not ideal, but keeping intake temps 20* over ambient would be well worth the weight.
Preach on brother MG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is exactly what you find all over the place, people buy something then say its the best because they don't know any better.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts

Ive logged all the bullshit data and I still don't believe the air to water will work out much better for all the issues it presents.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What you are forgetting is that you have an 200 degree engine that is heating that coolant up on a car radiator. If you have a water to air that is a separate system, there is only the intercooler that heats it up and it would not heat the coolant near as much as an engine would.
I don't understand what you are saying. My example of OEM's all have a dedicated system just like we are discussing here. It sounds like you believe some systems use the car radiator to cool the intercooler medium.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts