Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I pried my wallet open, bought ($350) the black LinQ 8 gallon cooler and took it out first the first time. Assembly was fairly straight forward and simple. The cooler comes with a white tray for dry goods. However, that was removed to make room for more beverages. We store our food in a soft side cooler under the passenger seat. I loaded the cooler down with roughly a case (about the max it would hold) of our preferred beverages (pre-chilled from the fridge) stood upright. That left more than 1.5 inches on top for ice. We rode most of the day and half the night. Weather was sunny with highs in the mid 80s. The cooler functioned well and rear visibility wasn't hindered when checking on our wingman. The next morning I had mostly water with a little bit of ice leftover. Clean up was quick and easy. I simply drained the water, removed the cooler and dumped the remaining ice. Those who ride with us have comparably sized Yetis (or equivalent). Admittedly, those held ice better. The biggest complaint on the Yeti (or equivalent) was the way they had to strap it down and the obstructed rear view. Bottom line, I think the LinQ cooler is a sacrifice of ice retention for quick mounting, easy access and rear visibility. I also like the factory look. I'm very happy with my choice so far. I just hope it's as reliable as it is functional. I'll update this post if anything changes.

Update: During our last ride, weather was sunny w/temps near 100 F. After about six hours, everything was still ice cold but most of the ice had melted. We were back at the truck by then so I drained the water and reloaded. I'm estimating 8 hours is probably the limit at those temps. I've considered lining the bottom side with heat reflective matting. But for most, the low alcohol level light is usually blinking after 8 hours and they begin pulling from my cooler. So, I don't think ice retention is the limiting factor here. With that said, I'm happy with the cooler.

IMG_0019.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,431 Posts
I have not seen that in black. Did you gave to go somewhere special to find it ? Tim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just curious if these come with some kind of heat shield? My bed gets pretty darn hot.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't find a dealer locally who carried the cooler in black, only grey. I stumbled across this one on Ebay. There's no heat shield included (i.e. reflective matting, etc.). I thought about that too. That storage shelf gets hot! I'll see how it does in July/August when temps get to triple digits.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I looked into these. It's to bad they were designed for the Quad market to wrap around the seat as a lot of space is wasted. . BRP needs to offer one with a straight back for SxSs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love mine but the dry container does not stay dry. It needs a rubber gasket or something that seals against the lid of the cooler. I always put everything up there in snap together tupperware because of it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I love mine but the dry container does not stay dry. It needs a rubber gasket or something that seals against the lid of the cooler. I always put everything up there in snap together tupperware because of it.
I like mine a lot, so far. Only down side is last trip to the dunes I had it full of adult beverages and ice. Over the course of the weekend I lost quite a few cans due to punctures which added more water/beer to the mix and loss of the good stuff.
My solution taken from a fellow rider is I had some foam from work which I cut to shape of the bottom of the cooler. Then proceeded to do can sided cut outs in the foam which is about 4" thick. I can put about 18 cans in now and still cover with ice. I also remove the dry tray as it does not keep anything dry.

So far it is working great and the extra foam is helping to hold the ice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hear ya. I don't drink, especially when riding. I'd sure like something along those lines for my sweet tea though! Good idea

I like mine a lot, so far. Only down side is last trip to the dunes I had it full of adult beverages and ice. Over the course of the weekend I lost quite a few cans due to punctures which added more water/beer to the mix and loss of the good stuff.
My solution taken from a fellow rider is I had some foam from work which I cut to shape of the bottom of the cooler. Then proceeded to do can sided cut outs in the foam which is about 4" thick. I can put about 18 cans in now and still cover with ice. I also remove the dry tray as it does not keep anything dry.

So far it is working great and the extra foam is helping to hold the ice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm jealous of the black.. and the new style lid straps. Mine are the old cam over style that feel cheap.

I also don't like how the rear hooks that engage the bed are designed. Mine bend a little bit at the thin flat plate where the bolts go through, after a day of riding, and it allows the cooler to have a slight wobble all the time. Not going to fall off or anything, just annoying

·
Registered
2020 Can-Am Maverick X3
25 Posts
Would the life of the ice be more if you didn't have it black? I went with grey for that reason. Just got it so I will test it out this year.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Would the life of the ice be more if you didn't have it black? I went with grey for that reason. Just got it so I will test it out this year.
i think a black cooler and the temps he rides in are both ice killers. However the black doesnt' stand out as much as a grey cooler would. Doesn't help it's right above the exhaust and also attached to a black rack lol. Heating shielding from underneath should help out a little from the heat rising from the exhaust, but the main killer is direct sunlight and 80+ temps

·
Registered
2020 Can-Am Maverick X3
25 Posts
i think a black cooler and the temps he rides in are both ice killers. However the black doesnt' stand out as much as a grey cooler would. Doesn't help it's right above the exhaust and also attached to a black rack lol. Heating shielding from underneath should help out a little from the heat rising from the exhaust, but the main killer is direct sunlight and 80+ temps
Not really sure how much radiant heat is getting to the cooler. The hot air gets blown back by fresher air when you are moving forward or actually, in any direction.

This one is pretty interesting but the way the thermal image is, I wonder what it would be for a difference when the vehicle is moving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, I pried my wallet open, bought ($350) the black LinQ 8 gallon cooler and took it out first the first time. Assembly was fairly straight forward and simple. The cooler comes with a white tray for dry goods. However, that was removed to make room for more beverages. We store our food in a soft side cooler under the passenger seat. I loaded the cooler down with roughly a case (about the max it would hold) of our preferred beverages (pre-chilled from the fridge) stood upright. That left more than 1.5 inches on top for ice. We rode most of the day and half the night. Weather was sunny with highs in the mid 80s. The cooler functioned well and rear visibility wasn't hindered when checking on our wingman. The next morning I had mostly water with a little bit of ice leftover. Clean up was quick and easy. I simply drained the water, removed the cooler and dumped the remaining ice. Those who ride with us have comparably sized Yetis (or equivalent). Admittedly, those held ice better. The biggest complaint on the Yeti (or equivalent) was the way they had to strap it down and the obstructed rear view. Bottom line, I think the LinQ cooler is a sacrifice of ice retention for quick mounting, easy access and rear visibility. I also like the factory look. I'm very happy with my choice so far. I just hope it's as reliable as it is functional. I'll update this post if anything changes.

Update: During our last ride, weather was sunny w/temps near 100 F. After about six hours, everything was still ice cold but most of the ice had melted. We were back at the truck by then so I drained the water and reloaded. I'm estimating 8 hours is probably the limit at those temps. I've considered lining the bottom side with heat reflective matting. But for most, the low alcohol level light is usually blinking after 8 hours and they begin pulling from my cooler. So, I don't think ice retention is the limiting factor here. With that said, I'm happy with the cooler.

View attachment 219684
Hey all I have the original linq 8 gallon with tray, black factory cooler which I no longer need I am happy to provide a price and pics if anyone's interested did not mean to steal the thread thanks, out of phx az area

1 - 20 of 23 Posts