Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I picked today a test Maverick for the weekend.
I took it for a spin today and I did like how it rides.
After about 20km I got the feared engine light and two error messages were displayed in the screen. First one said engine malfunction and the other one said something about transmission... I'm sure I screwed up the exact phrase but you may have an idea what that could be.

I shut off the motor for 10minutes, hoping it will clear itself but no such luck.

I usually would just bring it back to the dealer to look at it but they are closed tomorrow and I have a nice trip planned with some buds.

Would you still drive it of should I leave it at home and bring it to the dealer on Monday? What are the most common issues to trigger those error messages?

Btw. It is a 2013 Mav with 2500km on the clock.

Thanks

Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
sorry to hear about your misfortune.....the ECU is getting a fault from one of the sensors that is critical enough to put the engine in the "limp mode". Here is a link to the electronics section of the manual. Scroll down to page 5 to see how to check for active fault codes. If you still have an active code, look at page 9 and see what it is related to and possibly try to reseat the connector for that sensor and see if that fixes the issue.

http://www.maverickforums.net/forum/7-general-maverick-discussions/3436-2013-maverick-manual-electronic-management-system.html

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I wonder if cleaning the speed sensor will help

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
couldn't hurt but wouldn't think that would cause it to go into limp mode would it????

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
idk,lol I thought I heard someone say there's thru a tranny code and it was a speed sensor that was dirty , but there all diff u know

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks for your help.
I did try to look up the codes with the him/low/high/low/high/low beam method but it did not work.
Both messages keeps being displayed thru the screen the whole trip.

Checking more threads on errors, I think I called the 'status' of the bike wrongly limp mode....it seems like limp mode means pretty much no power at all, speed severely limited etc.... That's not the case on is bike.
Here is what's happening. As soon as I start the bike, the little engine symbol illuminates and stays on. Two errors messages being constantly displayed. Something like "wrong signal from transmission" and "malfunction Engine". I can't put the bike in sport mode as well.

I had it up to 70miles, so it seems like it's not limited in speed and power.

Well, the trip is over now, the bike did good and tomorrow I will drop it off at the dealer and place an order for a new one.....

This thing is sweeeeeeet :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
wow good to hear, u will have a blast sliding this thing around !

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks folks for your help.
I did try to look up the codes with the him/low/high/low/high/low beam method but it did not work.
Both messages keeps being displayed thru the screen the whole trip.

Checking more threads on errors, I think I called the 'status' of the bike wrongly limp mode....it seems like limp mode means pretty much no power at all, speed severely limited etc.... That's not the case on is bike.
Here is what's happening. As soon as I start the bike, the little engine symbol illuminates and stays on. Two errors messages being constantly displayed. Something like "wrong signal from transmission" and "malfunction Engine". I can't put the bike in sport mode as well.

I had it up to 70miles, so it seems like it's not limited in speed and power.

Well, the trip is over now, the bike did good and tomorrow I will drop it off at the dealer and place an order for a new one.....

This thing is sweeeeeeet :)

glad you were able to salvage your trip and still enjoy it. If you didn't get to experience it in sport mode at full power, you will be pleasantly surprised.....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Your lucky it worked for your trip. I wonder what this could be and allow it to get full power?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Your lucky it worked for your trip. I wonder what this could be and allow it to get full power?
He wasn't able to use sport mode so he wasn't getting full power....I wonder if it was cutting back more than that too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dropped the bike at the dealer today.
Tomorrow I will be there again with my outlander which will be traded towards the Maverick. He is going to evaluate the Outty to see how much dough I have to shell out.
I will ask if the technicians did check on the error messages, I will post it here what the root cause was/is.

During the trip, I had the switch always in sport mode but the light in the cluster did not came on....only 2 times for about one minute each and yes, it did made a noticeable change. It gave the bike the balls to compete.

Overall, the whole bike was kinda strange, it had 3000km on the clock but it looked like its more like 10.000km.....the whole suspensions was squeaking, steering was super hard (no power steering but still way too hard, it felt like everything was binding up once I turned the wheel), the diffs were pretty loud, the plastics were scratched and dull...
I guess the previous owner didn't do a damn for maintenance....what a shame.

Well, it'll be about two weeks until I get my bike, too much time to look around for aftermarket parts....I'm having already the standard stuff on the shopping list. Harness, mirrors, roof, clutch, power low switch, skid plates, dash trim for my Garmin Montana, maybe a winch and doors as well..... It's a fun hobby but addicting like hell..... :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Oh yeah it is a money pit for sure. But smiles cost money!!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I hope you aren't buying that one! And take note of the lack of maintenance on that machine from the dealer.....I wouldn't trust them to do any on your vehicle when you do buy one. Sounds like they haven't done much maintenance if any on the one you rented.....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I can see that this thing will be a money pit just as the outlander....

No, I'm going to buy a new one. Besides the 10hrs. Inspection, I will do all work myself. I'm pretty picky if it comes to maintenance and quality of work, so I'd rather do it myself. I've heard that the 10hrs service should be done from a dealership in Oder to have a better leverage in case of warranty claims which may come up in the future.

I had 2300km on my outlander and it looked like new. I did some work to the engine and it was pulling like an ox AND the suspension was quiet without a hint of squeaking....

Looking forward doing some wrench time on that new machine.

Btw. What do you guys think about sidebysidesports dot com as a one stop shop for all the extra goodies? I'm currently living in Mexico, so I'd like to place one fat order rather than a bunch of little ones to save on shipping costs.... It seems like this guys carry pretty much everything I'd like to get.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Yeah, I can see that this thing will be a money pit just as the outlander....

No, I'm going to buy a new one. Besides the 10hrs. Inspection, I will do all work myself. I'm pretty picky if it comes to maintenance and quality of work, so I'd rather do it myself. I've heard that the 10hrs service should be done from a dealership in Oder to have a better leverage in case of warranty claims which may come up in the future.

I had 2300km on my outlander and it looked like new. I did some work to the engine and it was pulling like an ox AND the suspension was quiet without a hint of squeaking....

Looking forward doing some wrench time on that new machine.

Btw. What do you guys think about sidebysidesports dot com as a one stop shop for all the extra goodies? I'm currently living in Mexico, so I'd like to place one fat order rather than a bunch of little ones to save on shipping costs.... It seems like this guys carry pretty much everything I'd like to get.

Thanks

Post up a list of what you plan on buying and we can give you some recommendations. Some vendors on here offer really good prices which might offset the shipping cost savings......just look at your options. If you do the 10hr service yourself and keep your receipts for the filter and fluids and make a note of your valve clearance measurements and adjustments, they would have to prove you did something wrong in order to refuse you a warranty claim for something. Just doesn't sound like this dealership cares about the products they rent based on your description so I doubt they care much about their customers equipment either.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, you are right, they don't care much. I had the 10hrs. Service for my outlander done from them. Once I got my bike back I noticed that the motor oil was way too full, the oil filter and the oil in the diffs we're not changed.....I drained the motor oil, changed the filter and the oil in the diffs....I paid $200 for nothing.... They also did not check the clearance in the valves....
So you are saying I don't need a stamp from the dealership for the first service? If I keep the receipts for oil, filter and write down the valve clearance I'll be fine if it comes to an warrant claim down the road?

I did look thru the forum vendors webpages and I guess I'd have to order from a bunch of different places to get what I want..... Well, here it is what I have on my list.

Aluminum roof, black or white
Doors, black (not sure yet about the maker, I guess they are all ok...?)
4 point harness for both seats.
Harness bar
1/2 or full fold down windshield
QSC/STM clutch
4000lbs winch with mounting plate, possibly new front bumper
UHMW skid plates, full set
Original BRP radio incl. the proper center console piece
40inch LED light bar incl. switch.
Side and rear view mirrors
Possibly nerf bars

I guess that's it for now....as you can see, it's a bunch of stuff, mostly either heavy or large, so shipping will be painful.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Yes, you are right, they don't care much. I had the 10hrs. Service for my outlander done from them. Once I got my bike back I noticed that the motor oil was way too full, the oil filter and the oil in the diffs we're not changed.....I drained the motor oil, changed the filter and the oil in the diffs....I paid $200 for nothing.... They also did not check the clearance in the valves....
So you are saying I don't need a stamp from the dealership for the first service? If I keep the receipts for oil, filter and write down the valve clearance I'll be fine if it comes to an warrant claim down the road?

I did look thru the forum vendors webpages and I guess I'd have to order from a bunch of different places to get what I want..... Well, here it is what I have on my list.

Aluminum roof, black or white
Doors, black (not sure yet about the maker, I guess they are all ok...?)
4 point harness for both seats.
Harness bar
1/2 or full fold down windshield
QSC/STM clutch
4000lbs winch with mounting plate, possibly new front bumper
UHMW skid plates, full set
Original BRP radio incl. the proper center console piece
40inch LED light bar incl. switch.
Side and rear view mirrors
Possibly nerf bars

I guess that's it for now....as you can see, it's a bunch of stuff, mostly either heavy or large, so shipping will be painful.

How much are you spending on the Mav? I know it is out of country but TurnKey UTV is selling one of their Mavericks that they bought simply for using to design their aftemrarket accessories on. They are selling it with every accessory they make for it for $15K USD. I would highly consider this if you are looking at buying a new one and adding several thousand more dollars in accessories to it. Here is the link....if your interested give Adam a call and tell him Heavyledz sent you.

http://www.maverickforums.net/forum/17-turnkey-utv/3856-selling-one-our-mavericks-killer-deal.html

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks heavy.
A Maverick costs about 330,000MXN which is about $25k. Yes, you've read right :)
Thanks for the tip, I guess it is a long shot but I'll give it a shot. I did PM turnkey, we will see how that turns out.
I've seen that they also offer international shipping on ATVs, so that's a plus considering I'm here in Mexico and have no idea what's needed to get this thing down here.

If I'd buy theirs, I would have pretty much all ad ones covered in terms of roof, doors, beefed up tie rods etc.....
Missing is the clutch and it seems like that theirs does not have power steering which I'd have to add as well.

I did ask them to quote the Mav incl clutches and PS, shipped to my door.
I'd still have to run it by my boss (wife) since she fell in love with the white/red color on the 2014'th.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, back from the dealer.
He said it's somehow related to the gear linkage, apparently there is a sensor which does not switch if the linkage is off a bit and that triggered those messages.

He has seen the messages and he told me right away what it was, seems like he had it happen a few times already.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Alright, back from the dealer.
He said it's somehow related to the gear linkage, apparently there is a sensor which does not switch if the linkage is off a bit and that triggered those messages.

He has seen the messages and he told me right away what it was, seems like he had it happen a few times already.

I can believe that.....thanks for letting us know.

Thanks heavy.
A Maverick costs about 330,000MXN which is about $25k. Yes, you've read right :)
Thanks for the tip, I guess it is a long shot but I'll give it a shot. I did PM turnkey, we will see how that turns out.
I've seen that they also offer international shipping on ATVs, so that's a plus considering I'm here in Mexico and have no idea what's needed to get this thing down here.

If I'd buy theirs, I would have pretty much all ad ones covered in terms of roof, doors, beefed up tie rods etc.....
Missing is the clutch and it seems like that theirs does not have power steering which I'd have to add as well.

I did ask them to quote the Mav incl clutches and PS, shipped to my door.
I'd still have to run it by my boss (wife) since she fell in love with the white/red color on the 2014'th.

I would actually call them directly. Most likely Cook will answer the phone and you will want to speak with Adam.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts