Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add extra lighting on my xrc. 2 options im looking at are 10" bd onx6 on the shock tower or the bd headlight kit. The headlight kit looks cleaner to me but is it worth twice the price?

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
The Headlight Kit is a little more light,,, but it's more flexible in aiming and output via high/low beam.

The Headlight Kit is a little easier to install since it's plug and play.

The Headlight Kit looks better and comes with the mounts,,, so no shock tower mount needed to purchase.

BUT,,, if you want more light/dollar,,, get a couple of XL80's (or similar), and mount them on your XRC bumper (if they'll fit?). Quite a bit more light than the Headlight kit,,, you can still aim them individually,,, and quite a bit less money than the Headlight kit.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
All depends on your riding terrain. If in a dry climate the headlight option is more flexible. If you ride in the Woods with mud and water than the BD on the hood is the best option as the headlights become all but useless after the first mud puddle.

·
Registered
603 Posts
f in a dry climate the headlight option is more flexible. If you ride in the Woods with mud and water than the BD on the hood is the best option as the headlights become all but useless after the first mud puddle.
That's a great point,,, desert guy here,, never would have thought of that! (y)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Trails are dry for the most part so no issue there. I will surely look into the xl80's. I plan on switching the bumper for the s3 bumper which has light tabs so that might just work out the best.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
421 Posts
I have XL80's, Squadron Pro's, and Squadron Sports on other vehicles. I am not a fan of bars in general. I went with LP6 Pro's on the Can-Am mounted to the bumper. They have great spill, phenomenal projection, and can be run on high and low. They put out enough light that I do not outrun them. XL's have a dimming feature that turns them down 20% whereas the LP6's turn off two of the forward LED's on low. I think you would need three of four XL's to accomplish the same lighting scheme of two LP6's. XL80's are only available with a combo lense which I find to reduce the effectiveness of the light when run in an array. I have combo lenses and I need to switch them out because they're pointless.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I found the stock headlamps keep the police from stopping you on the highway. All the other options are pretty much no can do on any pavement. I use Baja Designs Squadron Pro in spot lens, Baja Designs HID for long distance, and Rigid Reflex LED mirrors as the wide driving. It is possible a set of XL80’s could replace the HID but not quite sure yet.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have combo lenses and I need to switch them out because they're pointless.
That's funny,,, I totally disagree with you. (y)

I swapped my Squadron's clears to combos since I think the combo pattern is much more useful. That's what makes lighting suggestions so difficult,,,, to each their own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found the stock headlamps keep the police from stopping you on the highway. All the other options are pretty much no can do on any pavement. I use Baja Designs Squadron Pro in spot lens, Baja Designs HID for long distance, and Rigid Reflex LED mirrors as the wide driving. It is possible a set of XL80’s could replace the HID but not quite sure yet.
I bet those Rigid LED mirrors are great for coming into a corner. Trails are too tight in my area to ever get them, but I bet I'd really like them.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I bet those Rigid LED mirrors are great for coming into a corner. Trails are too tight in my area to ever get them, but I bet I'd really like them.
Rigid puts out 3,775 Raw Lumens, where the Sector Seven mirror puts out 8,000 Raw Lumens. I went with the more light from Sector Seven as they are really bright.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
421 Posts
That's funny,,, I totally disagree with you. (y)

I swapped my Squadron's clears to combos since I think the combo pattern is much more useful. That's what makes lighting suggestions so difficult,,,, to each their own.
That's true, personal preference is real. The qualifier to my comment is the width between the lights in the array. If you have a wide array you don't need to diffuse the light to create spill because your array can be aimed in an arc to created focused spread. The benefit is you don't reduce the overall throw of the lights. In the case of the LP6's and LP9's, they have LED's separate from the primary LEDs that are specifically for spill so you get undiffused throw. When you add diffused lenses you reduce throw.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yep a bit bulky if it is tight.
Rarely tight down here in the Desert!
I bought them used or it wouldn't even be a choice. I watch several sites for used lighting, cages, tires, and what nots!

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
The Baja Design headlights work really good and put out a good amount of light. Just do not get the laser beam light as it is useless. The XL80s are great lights and put out a lot of light.

On my old X3 I ran 3 XL80s on my bumper, 2 squadron pros on the a-pillar and the BD headlight kit. I will probably be running the same set up on my new X3. Works great for night rides in the dunes and desert. For the desert I put Amber rock covers on the XL80s to help cut through the dust. Baja Designs no makes the covers for the headlight kits (SR1 lights).

·
Registered
773 Posts
The Baja Design headlights work really good and put out a good amount of light. Just do not get the laser beam light as it is useless. The XL80s are great lights and put out a lot of light.

On my old X3 I ran 3 XL80s on my bumper, 2 squadron pros on the a-pillar and the BD headlight kit. I will probably be running the same set up on my new X3. Works great for night rides in the dunes and desert. For the desert I put Amber rock covers on the XL80s to help cut through the dust. Baja Designs no makes the covers for the headlight kits (SR1 lights).
BD 10 inch shock light also works really good.

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
BD 10 inch shock light also works really good.
They do work well, but not enough light if you like to ride at night in the dunes.

·
Registered
773 Posts
They do work well, but not enough light if you like to ride at night in the dunes.
I agree with that, but I was just thinking that would just be just one of many lights to be running. I have around 70,000 Lumens of light on my ride. I haven't got to test it out on the trail as I Broke down in Utah having to drive crippled out for 2.5 hours. I should have turned all the lights on to test them, but was to focused on just getting back to remember I had all the lights. lol . I am running 20 inch double row on front bumper, 10 inch on shock, 50 inch on roof, and the Sector Seven mirrors. I think I should have enough lights for some good night riding once I get a chance to go back out.
Can Am 188.jpg

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
I agree with that, but I was just thinking that would just be just one of many lights to be running. I have around 70,000 Lumens of light on my ride. I haven't got to test it out on the trail as I Broke down in Utah having to drive crippled out for 2.5 hours. I should have turned all the lights on to test them, but was to focused on just getting back to remember I had all the lights. lol . I am running 20 inch double row on front bumper, 10 inch on shock, 50 inch on roof, and the Sector Seven mirrors. I think I should have enough lights for some good night riding once I get a chance to go back out.
View attachment 270874
My light set up with all my accessories was pushing the charging system on my 2018 X3. So I am curious to see how the larger 850watt stator does on my new RC.

Reactions: SUPERSMITH
1 - 20 of 31 Posts