Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a wheel tire combo out there that is lighter then stock with same or better performing tires? What is the lightest 27-28" combo available? How much weight can be saved from stock (if any)?

Also is there an advantage to running 14" rims instead of 12" or they just for looks. What about running skinnier tires in the back any disadvantage?

Since there's not much for performance parts out for these buggies besides clutches (which I'll be doing shortly) I am trying to gain every little bit I can to keep up with the 1000 outys, modded 450 sport quads, and 1KXP around here

Thanks

·
Registered
707 Posts
I would want to say the lightest wheel is probably a Hiper but there bad about busting centers. With a 14" wheel you get less sidewall so you don't end up driving over the tires if you understand what I'm talking about. Also less chance of punching a hole from a rock in the sidewall. I wouldn't know anything about running a skinnier tire though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Methods are lighter than the hipers by a couple ounces and they have stronger centers. I had Hipers and switched over to Methods and love them. I paired those up with a set of 27x9 GBC Dirt Commanders all the way around and it was like riding on rails.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I prefer the 12" Hiper rims with the BH 2.0's for both low weight & overall performance as my dirt tire set up. For my sand tire set up I think the Skats are the lightest paddle out there. However I run a 12" Hiper with the STU's on a 10" wide rear rim.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I agree. I had the OG all carbon fiber rims on my Teryx and now have the sidewinders on the Mav for both my sand tires and my dirt tires.they are sweet.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Some friends used to Desert Race here in AZ and they liked to run the skinnier front big horns all the way around the car.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Get sum DWT blue labels and a 25" terra cross tire and go tear it up lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Methods are lighter than the hipers by a couple ounces and they have stronger centers. I had Hipers and switched over to Methods and love them. I paired those up with a set of 27x9 GBC Dirt Commanders all the way around and it was like riding on rails.
Did you ever get a weight on the Methods or Hipers compared to stock, are they lighter? What about the Dirt Commanders they look like there about same weight as stock BG's maybe a little heavier?

Do you run 9" tires all the way around? Any downfalls to skinny tires in rear? Whats your take on a 14" rim vs 12"?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys, forgot to mention these tire would be used for dirt, gravel roads and some mud.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, forgot to mention these tire would be used for dirt, gravel roads and some mud.
When you find that combo for the listed above conditions let me know, I just got my HiPers today and still looking for a 27-28" tire for a 14x7 rim.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hard to beat the stock setup for weight. Overall Performance is pretty good too. I would think the non beadlock wheels like on the base model would be a little lighter than the factory beadlocks. I'm always concerned about weight in my tire/wheel setup. I wanted something a little more durable than the stock setup though. I went with 14" method beadlocks with a 26x9-14 itp terra cross hd on all four with tire balls. I haven't got them mounted up yet but should prove to be a fast and durable setup. This is a very popular tire and size in GNCC racing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I weighed my base model stock tire and rim combo. Front 31lbs and rear 39lbs. Now go to Bighorn web site and see what the Bighorn weighs and subtract the tire and you will have your base model wheel weight.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I weighed my base model stock tire and rim combo. Front 31lbs and rear 39lbs. Now go to Bighorn web site and see what the Bighorn weighs and subtract the tire and you will have your base model wheel weight.
Wow those are light most guys add tires that weigh more then that... As far as I can find the front Bighorns weigh around 26lbs can't seem to find a weight on back tires but I would guess a few more pounds.

Either way it looks like even the lightest aftermarket wheel is gonna weigh twice as much as stock, which just seems crazy to me.... Guess I don't need to spend any money on wheels/tires

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just weighed some ITP Evolution Tires ONLY, 8 Ply 28x9x14's 29.4lbs Rears 28x10x14 31.5lbs Mounted on STI Slik Kote 14x7 Beadlocks Front-44.4 Rear 46.5 / Circum.- Same size as 27 Bighorns

·
Registered
395 Posts
First set of numbers Tires only. Where it says mounted -Tire & Wheel Total weights. Keep in mind that's moving up to a 14" Wheel and going up to 8 ply rating.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts