Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Turnkey Upper Light Bar mount and a Baja Designs 40" LED light bar. I have a amber light bar rocker switch on order and will be installing the system when the switch and the mounting bar arrives. The light bar and harness arrived, but unfortunately the harness is not Maverick specific, the instructions leave a lot to be desired and give no indication on how to route the wiring.

How have those who have installed an upper LED lightbar routed the wiring? I was thinking of drilling a couple of holes in the cage on the right side, running the wires inside the roll bar, then routing the harness behind the glove box to the switch panel, and then from the switch panel through the center console to the battery. Any tips by those with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip Benzo. That plug will save a bunch of work not having to take the center console apart and run the wiring to the battery.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I am not a fan of drill holes in my cage. I run all of my wire inside wire loom and ziptie it every 12" or so. If you drill a big enough hole for the wires and a rubber grommet you will be drilling a 5/8" hole, and that big of a hole in a 2" cage will weaken it in my mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not a fan of drill holes in my cage. I run all of my wire inside wire loom and ziptie it every 12" or so. If you drill a big enough hole for the wires and a rubber grommet you will be drilling a 5/8" hole, and that big of a hole in a 2" cage will weaken it in my mind.
I hear you...I just don't really like the look of a loom zipped on the cage. I'm going to try to get it done with a 1/2" hole. Either way, hopefully if I get upside down, I'll hit on the left side first:big smile:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You'll be fine. I used a medium wall heatshrink around my wires when I went through the cage for extra protection & it keeps the wires tight, so its easier to get through the holes. I think I was able to do it with either a 3/8" or 7/16" hole max.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The front hoop is thick as hell. Dont worry about drilling it.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
normal cages are 1.75 the maverick is 2.0 , so u can drill into it and not worry, lol

megadiesel is use to having poolaris's's's lol jk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thing...I'm installing a Contura V lighted rocker switch instead of the cheap toggle switch that came with the light bar. I need to tap into the "dash lights" in order to light the switch when the headlights are on. I figured I could simply tap into the dash lighting wire on the adjacent switch, but I am not sure wire to tap into. Is it the orange/purple or the brown/green wire?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
One more thing...I'm installing a Contura V lighted rocker switch instead of the cheap toggle switch that came with the light bar. I need to tap into the "dash lights" in order to light the switch when the headlights are on. I figured I could simply tap into the dash lighting wire on the adjacent switch, but I am not sure wire to tap into. Is it the orange/purple or the brown/green wire?
All the stock rockers come on when the key is on in either position. I just powered off the Delphi plug (2 wire). You can either go get weather pack pins and gromets, or check your local auto parts for per-wired plugs. I did the weather pack, for the plug behind the dash, but just happened to find pre-wired Delphi knock offs at Pep Boys and used one of those for the power plug behind the firewall (behind the drivers side under the rack).

Reactions: Andyt25

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
All the stock rockers come on when the key is on in either position. I just powered off the Delphi plug (2 wire). You can either go get weather pack pins and gromets, or check your local auto parts for per-wired plugs. I did the weather pack, for the plug behind the dash, but just happened to find pre-wired Delphi knock offs at Pep Boys and used one of those for the power plug behind the firewall (behind the drivers side under the rack).

what part # plug ? thx

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Damn it....now ya gunna make me GET up and go out to the garage to look for the package that I already tossed in the trash...lol BRB

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Damn it....now ya gunna make me GET up and go out to the garage to look for the package that I already tossed in the trash...lol BRB
LOL its cool

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Found these at Pep Boys in the Electrical accessories isle. They are made by Dorman. Part # 85390 for the female, and 85391 for the male. They plug right into the oem Delphi plugs.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
u da man thx !

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another option for the plugs is sombody that has an old dead sea-doo jet ski laying around they all use the same plugs. My local dealer lead me to their "bone pile" i got all the plugs i needed at no charge. How about that for customer serevice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My rocker switch has two lighted postions. One is a "running light". With the ignition on and light bar switch in the off position, there is an illuminated light bar logo on the switch. When the light bar switch is turned on a second light on the switch illuminates the 40" Light Bar font. As a result I need to tap into the "running lights" as well as the 2 wire WeatherPac connector.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My rocker switch has two lighted postions. One is a "running light". With the ignition on and light bar switch in the off position, there is an illuminated light bar logo on the switch. When the light bar switch is turned on a second light on the switch illuminates the 40" Light Bar font. As a result I need to tap into the "running lights" as well as the 2 wire WeatherPac connector.
Which wire(s) did you tap into to make the little light on the switch lite up? (when the switch is flipped to ON position) I installed my switch and picked up one of those connectors from Pepboys already. Just waiting for 40" light bar to arrive on Thurs.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Which wire(s) did you tap into to make the little light on the switch lite up? (when the switch is flipped to ON position) I installed my switch and picked up one of those connectors from Pepboys already. Just waiting for 40" light bar to arrive on Thurs.
the switch is already getting power so u need to groung the switch to make the led work , 3 wires, 1 main power 1 ground 1 light bar

1 - 20 of 38 Posts