Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an issue in Glamis, where my switch malfunctioned and made my light bar strobe.

I replaced the switch and all is good now, but I never noticed that at idle the light bar has a minor fluctuation in brightness. Upon acceleration, the light is solid and non fluctuating but my voltage is good even at idle. No other accessories are on at the time.

Any insight to why?

It is not a big deal but just curious if the rectifier is not sufficient for such a light load.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I replaced the switch and all is good now, but I never noticed that at idle the light bar has a minor fluctuation in brightness. Upon acceleration, the light is solid and non fluctuating but my voltage is good even at idle. No other accessories are on at the time.

Any insight to why?
One possibility is that at idle, the voltage reaching the light bar is low enough that the current regulator inside of it isn't 100% comfortable (the regulators need a certain amount of overhead to stay in regulation 100% of the time). One way to check is to measure your voltage at the battery and right at the light bar while the machine is idling. Both should be 13.8-ish. If both are lower, you've got a charging issue. If only the light bar is lower, you've got an undersized or compromised conductor somewhere between the battery and the light bar.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thank you. It isn't the greatest quality light bar and I am thinking the long run and most likely undersized wire used plays a part in it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Are you running a relay ? Undersized wires start fires by the way !!! Sounds like youre running a cheap china special.....it may be the electronics within your bar.....a lot of cheaper led's flicker

Reactions: jlv

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it is through a relay and fuse panel I built by the battery.

The bar is a cheaper China bar that works fine for my needs. I rarely go out at night, hence the switch rarely getting used and going bad.

I have a hard time spending 1500.00-2k on a quality light bar when I can throw that money into something useful like control arms, ball joints, suspension etc.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
758 Posts
So you think your choices are a $1500-$2000 dollar light bar OR a $100 cheap china light bar ? Lots of great ones well under the prices of the top of the line. There are a lot of quality bars under $500
Do you already need ball joints ?

I have multiple sets of Rigid and Amazon China lights on mine.....the cheap one have been amazing for many years and have held up perfectly.

Maybe try replacing the cheap small wiring with larger gauge all copper wiring an see if that helps

I love night riding !

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see any choices other than Chinese made brands or the more expensive Baja Design or Rigid on the market that are in the aforementioned price range. If you have some brands you can wholeheartedly recommend I am all ears:)

Ball joints...already have them and I will never run anything but Keller on chromoly control arms. The OEM are cheap trash ready to snap and leave you stranded.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Keller are pricy and amazing !

Black oak .....amazing lights ! Equal to Rigid
Rough Country.......lots of off road and jeeps use them
Proton .....another good one

Those are three amazing light bar companies with really good prices

·
Registered
758 Posts
Glad I could help !
The Black Oak Led are the most expensive out of the three I listed .....still half the price of others

Lifetime warranty , 30 day free look / try it out period .......amazing quality and light output.

The Rough Country are much less while still being very impressive. They make great products and have a 3 year warranty. Most jeeps you see use Rough Country light bars .

Reactions: jlv

·
Registered
75 Posts
As a point of reference, I have this exact Rough Country 40" single row on my Land Cruiser's roof rack. It puts out double the light of the cheap 50" double row Amazon special that my XRS came with. At some point I'll swap it out with a 50" Rough Country.

I've also heard great things about the Black Oak. Do your homework on those before you pull the trigger, I think there are some forum discount codes out there if you search. Maybe the Raptor forums? Can't remember.

I have champagne tastes but a beer budget, so as much as I'd like to have Baja Designs everywhere, these are a great substitute.

·
Registered
71 Posts
SD Lighting is another great middle of the road light bar. The double row 50" is a beast at 29K lumens for about $350. Based out of AZ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts