Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright heres the deal. I have a spare maverick cage that is bent a little. Im wanting to either get a new aftermarket cage or chop this factory cage. I have done quite a bit of searching and all I can find is a pic of a commander that chopped his. Its looked great. I never could find where he took it from or how he did. it. Has anyone done this? The reason I am wanting to try this over a custom cage is that I have the BRP stereo, harness bar, proarmor doors and UTVinc roof and I want to still be able to use all this.

Any pics or input greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I will sell you my factory Maverick cage that is in perfect condition for cheap. If interested, send me a PM
You can unbolt the cage for spare parts if needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PM sent. you can never have to many spares lol. Whos aftermarket cage do you like? I like the lower profile and I need to be able to use my doors

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Utv inc makes a badass cage

After chopping a thin crappy cage you still end up with a thin crappy cage, that might save your noggin when you roll over.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
here is a picture of what I had built

Attachments

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Also when u lower a stock cage the middle will need to be stretched so the roof will not work anymore

U will need to cut and sleeve the front back and center of the cage , while ur at it u can take out the bolt together section at the top add sum gussets and should work and be strong enough

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info and pics guys. Since I have the extra cage I want to try it. That commander I saw turned out great.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I really looked at cutting my factory cage up. But decided to save my time and just build one that I really wanted. Like Benzo said if you chop your factory cage your roof isnt going to work either. I would say pull the trigger on a good aftermarket cage or start building your own.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we are going to do a custom cage. That way I can make it compatible with the stereo harness bar and doors I already have. I also have the can-am rear bumper so I might try to tie it into that also. Whats everyone using 2" .095 DOM?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Randolph, any pics of your cage?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I used mostly 095 1 3/4" DOM, but I believe my doors are a thinner tubing

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
I dropped my cage about 8". I'm using 1.75 .095 and .083 and 1.25 .095 4130 chromoly.
We will be putting this cage into production shortly that will keep the same lines but a little taller with a less aggressive A pillar slant.

420086_592173810802432_2081705532_n.jpg
270822_584803224872824_1876739946_n.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like that "low and lean" look.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Reactions: Bacher

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah I think that might be a little to much for me. Id like to drop as much as possible with stock seats. Sooooo probably 3-4" ???

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thats about right. My cage is dropped only 2 1/2" to 3" from stock but I have not lowered my seat at all.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Yup, I wanted to do this one right on my personal vehicle. Dropping the seats made a HUGE difference. But that's why the production cages will be taller.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Can Am Maverick upper roll bar that I will sell fairly cheap. It has a couple of small dents in it. Message me if you are interested.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts