Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that everyone has their opinion about tuners but what I want to know is when and if we need to install a BOV.
I did a forum search and did not see any info delving into this topic.

At what PSI do we need to add a BOV? Other than I love the way my 2.5L Subie sounded when I let off the gas, they installed
a BOV even though my car ran 10 PSI low boost and 15 PSI high boost.

I believe depending on the tuner, we are running around 17 to 18 PSI.

Here is some info I read from Vivid. I know there are mixed feeling about Vivid but the information makes a lot of since.

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/agency-power-adjustable-blow-off-valve-with-silicone-hose-kit-canam-maverick-turbo-p-151884025.html

If this info is true, why isn't EVO and PWRTUNE pushing a BOV?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I had a GTP BOV on my last X3 mainly because I missed the sound from my sand car but it was a waste of money on the X3 IMO.

·
Vendor
778 Posts
The BOV referenced above and can be purchased on Amazon for $29.99. I can tell you that if it is being sold on Amazon for 30.00, it costs about 10.00 to make. There is no such thing as a good $10.00-$30.00 BOV.

In our opinion, a BOV is necessary with the vehicle tuned. The reason is three fold: 1) it is very hard on the turbo bearings when the throttle is closed abruptly after a WOT pull - the turbo is still making boost pushing against a mostly closed throttle plate. This air is now heated further from being compressed. 2)The factory throttle body has been known to blow itself out of its boot without a BOV. 3) They sound so good!

·
Vendor
1,270 Posts
The BOV referenced above and can be purchased on Amazon for $29.99. I can tell you that if it is being sold on Amazon for 30.00, it costs about 10.00 to make. There is no such thing as a good $10.00-$30.00 BOV.

In our opinion, a BOV is necessary with the vehicle tuned. The reason is three fold: 1) it is very hard on the turbo bearings when the throttle is closed abruptly after a WOT pull - the turbo is still making boost pushing against a mostly closed throttle plate. This air is now heated further from being compressed. 2)The factory throttle body has been known to blow itself out of its boot without a BOV. 3) They sound so good!
I agree, I have one and i hardly ever hear it go off unless I'm really on it and let off quick. One thing I can't stand is the rzr guys who love to drive in a manner where they continuously try to make theirs go off with their on and off the throttle driving.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So is the waste gate that the X3 does have used differently than a BOV would? Mine used to make that blow off sound, but obviously without a BOV, it was the waste gate opening.

And why would you say you need both? That would tell me they are not there for the same reason.

·
Vendor
778 Posts
So is the waste gate that the X3 does have used differently than a BOV would? Mine used to make that blow off sound, but obviously without a BOV, it was the waste gate opening.

And why would you say you need both? That would tell me they are not there for the same reason.
These things are very different. What you hear without a BOV is compressor stall - the compressed air in the charge tube reverts back into the intake. This is very bad for the turbo bearings. It can sound similar to a BOV opening, but it is definitely not. The BOV is both pulled and pushed open - pulled open by vacuum behind the throttle plate and pushed open by the pressure in the charge tube to release the pressure.

The wastegate regulates the minimum boost pressure, works with the electronic boost control to control the target boost pressure, and as a function of the pressure in the turbine housing, also regulates maximum possible boost. The BOV is only to release boost pressure "stuck" between the turbo and the throttle plate after the throttle is closed.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts

I agree, I have one and i hardly ever hear it go off unless I'm really on it and let off quick. One thing I can't stand is the rzr guys who love to drive in a manner where they continuously try to make theirs go off with their on and off the throttle driving.

The throttling on off is because they keep going into limp mode, ha!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
These things are very different. What you hear without a BOV is compressor stall - the compressed air in the charge tube reverts back into the intake. This is very bad for the turbo bearings. It can sound similar to a BOV opening, but it is definitely not. The BOV is both pulled and pushed open - pulled open by vacuum behind the throttle plate and pushed open by the pressure in the charge tube to release the pressure.

The wastegate regulates the minimum boost pressure, works with the electronic boost control to control the target boost pressure, and as a function of the pressure in the turbine housing, also regulates maximum possible boost. The BOV is only to release boost pressure "stuck" between the turbo and the throttle plate after the throttle is closed.
Wow, interesting. That is some great info. So, not hearing that sounds anymore is a good thing then.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Got one on mine,noticed a difference right off the bat....no more lag coming out of a turn.
Like I've said before,even on a small turbo (like a stock RS) the pressure has to/needs to go somewhere!
Also the V-Flow Intake should be added too.IMO

·
Vendor
778 Posts
Wow, interesting. That is some great info. So, not hearing that sounds anymore is a good thing then.
I would imagine whether you hear it or not depends upon load. Typically you will only hear stall after a long - high load climb, then abruptly chop the throttle.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The EVO BOV does work better than stock. You get a little bit quicker throttle reaction when on off on the throttle. I'm very happy with mine.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
What level of tune do you feel it's necessary to have a bov? I had one on my stage one 17 X3 and couldn't see a difference. Looking at a stage II tune on my 18 and wondering if a BOV is worth it or not.

·
Premium Member
10,087 Posts
What level of tune do you feel it's necessary to have a bov? I had one on my stage one 17 X3 and couldn't see a difference. Looking at a stage II tune on my 18 and wondering if a BOV is worth it or not.
What he said, LOL! I have a '17 with a Stage 3. I'm just getting caught up now. I didn't know we needed a BOV?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not sure if we do or not. That is why I started this thread. And after reading so far I am still not sure.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Well, think of it like this. Imagine holding a 15lb weight in you hand. Not too heavy but you certainly know it's there. Now imagine taking that weight and concentrating all that into one square inch in your hand. That turns into quite a bit of pressure. That is the amount (roughly) of pressure inside your intake when wide open. Now imagine what happens when you let off the gas quickly. Like EVO said, throttle plate closes, turbo is still spinning, that 15 increases with no where to go. Building pressure with no where to go and opposing the direction that your turbo is spinning. Hard on the bearings and slows down the turbo when you do get back in the skinny.

·
Premium Member
10,087 Posts
Well, think of it like this. Imagine holding a 15lb weight in you hand. Not too heavy but you certainly know it's there. Now imagine taking that weight and concentrating all that into one square inch in your hand. That turns into quite a bit of pressure. That is the amount (roughly) of pressure inside your intake when wide open. Now imagine what happens when you let off the gas quickly. Like EVO said, throttle plate closes, turbo is still spinning, that 15 increases with no where to go. Building pressure with no where to go and opposing the direction that your turbo is spinning. Hard on the bearings and slows down the turbo when you do get back in the skinny.
Which one did you get? Pics?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know I heard someone running the dunes with one when we were on a break . everyone decided I should have one since it "sounded" badass. I would like the answer as to at what level of tune we should have one as well.
I only have the 172 horsepower upgrade on my 17 rs but want it to last.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
My opinion. I'd want one on a stock machine. But I'm no expert, just an obsessed weekend warrior.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm having a difficult time talking myself into spending $399 for Evo's BOV kit.
It was just my birthday so I can possibly justify it that way!

Reactions: Backwoods87
1 - 20 of 95 Posts