Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So, like the title says, when I'm in 4wd only the right front tire is pulling up front. The rear is fine. It makes the thing inoperable in 4wd as you have to fight the steering like crazy all the time. It's got the QE front diff. The axle feels just fine to yank on it. Doesn't feel broken or anything. It got late so I just parked it in the garage tonight without further inspection. Tomorrow I'll jack it up and put it in 4wd to see if I can get it to engage at all. I'm sure I'll be pulling the axle out to have a look as well. Questions are:

Anyone had had this before? You guys think the diff is broken? It seems like the visco lock isn't working right. Can an axle break and still feel perfectly fine while still installed?

Thoughts? Help! It suuuuucks!:crying:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ok. So, like the title says, when I'm in 4wd only the right front tire is pulling up front. The rear is fine. It makes the thing inoperable in 4wd as you have to fight the steering like crazy all the time. It's got the QE front diff. The axle feels just fine to yank on it. Doesn't feel broken or anything. It got late so I just parked it in the garage tonight without further inspection. Tomorrow I'll jack it up and put it in 4wd to see if I can get it to engage at all. I'm sure I'll be pulling the axle out to have a look as well. Questions are

Anyone had had this before? You guys think the diff is broken? It seems like the visco lock isn't working right. Can an axle break and still feel perfectly fine while still installed?

Thoughts? Help! It suuuuucks!:crying:

The right axle goes through 2 gears, the problem is most likly axle broke at the C clip groove, there is only about 3/8" that goes in the second gear , Which is the one that drives the gear your left axle is in.

This happened 3 times on mine while i was trying JUNK RHINO axles .

Pull right axle, its probably broken at the C clip groove,

now its a Pisser to get that small piece out,

Pull your left axle, there is a cross pin blocking the straight through line of sight,

It only leaves 1/8" on each side of cross pin to slide a tool beside, to knock out the broken section .

Keep in mind, the C clip is still in locking groove, so takes a pretty good tap ti get it started, then be carefull, the broken piece is so short, it wants to get cocked sideways,

Also, the C clip will come out first, it likes to fall behind the outter axle seal, be carefull to not damage that seal.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Same thing happened to me to. Go grab the passenger side axle it will most likely slide freely in and out of the diff.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yup agree with the above, but fyi i did break my front diff, it would pop and never lock up. Internals replaced and fine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with the OldGuy....RHINO AXLES ARE JUNK. If you end up replacing your axle make sure you do not buy a Rhino axle!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, you are right. My passenger axle is broken at the c clip. And for the last few hours I have been banging around from the driver's side trying to get the piece out that's stuck on the back side of the c clip. NOTHING WORKS. How on earth do I get it out????

HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I finally got it. Through this process I have invented no fewer than seven brand new forms of profanity.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
luckily mine was under warranty. I'm not sure how the dealership got it out, as lazy as they are it might still be floating around inside my diff somewhere.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Well, I finally got it. Through this process I have invented no fewer than seven brand new forms of profanity.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kinda like when I broke a primary bolt off in my crank. Swearing profusly seemed to help alot. Not with getting the bolt out, but by keeping everyone else away while I figured out how.....lol

·
Registered
668 Posts
luckily mine was under warranty. I'm not sure how the dealership got it out, as lazy as they are it might still be floating around inside my diff somewhere.
No chit on that one!!!! That 17 year old kid in the back dont care. Last warranty trip mine took they left the vent line off and hardly any oil in the diff :-/ .

·
Registered
371 Posts
No chit on that one!!!! That 17 year old kid in the back dont care. Last warranty trip mine took they left the vent line off and hardly any oil in the diff :-/ .
When my right front rim split on me it took out the outer cv. When they installed the new wheel and axle they didn't fully install it to the second click, the reason it was broke in the first place was their fault. I have 0 faith in them, I helped install the next on to make sure it was done right.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A lot to be said about workin on your own stuff, only thing dealer has done to mine was the primary and secondary recall and I was so nervous letting them do that

·
Registered
668 Posts
A lot to be said about workin on your own stuff, only thing dealer has done to mine was the primary and secondary recall and I was so nervous letting them do that

Yup i havent brought mine in because i wanna ride this weekend and i feared that would jack it up .

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mine had 4 hours on it when it broke so I brought it for warranty. I recently broke a front left axle, still under warranty, but I went ahead and bought a gorilla. Got it in 3 days already back together(correctly) ready for the ride this weekend.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey guys, I seem to have the same problem. Driver's side works perfectly but the passenger side doesn't budge. The driver's side axle does have some wobble at the diff while the other wheel is spinning, but it's hard to see in the video.

It's still under warranty, but I'd rather fix it myself. Don't want to waste riding time if it's just an axle. What do you think?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts