Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a 40" Totron light bar. Can anyone give me tips on drilling the cage, running the wires and the trick to fishing the wires through the holes? I saw on one of the other threads, that there's a "plug & play" harness inside the dash. Can that be used to power the light bar?
The 40" light bars I'm looking at have different options: All spot 30degree beams, or Flood/Spot combo 60/30 degree, or Flood/spot with 120/10 degree beams. I ride mostly sand dunes and occasionally flat desert/trails. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
ya I run a 40'' totron I welded tabs and mounted it , drilled a whole at the top and bottom of the side bar & behind the removable plastic side and ran the wire out , and yes the harness behind dash is perfect for light bar ! I have a thread with pics about the harness behind dash

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I have the Totron mounted on my Mav. I got the 30/60 flood spot combo. Works great. I used the supplied mounts, drilled and tapped into to cage for now. They work, but are kinda fugly. I bought some gromets at the auto parts store (3/8) and drilled a hole center of the front top cross bar, one in the lower right "A" pilar just above the cage mounting bung, and another through the weep hole in the top front cross bar into the inside of the "A" pilar. I then ran some welding wire through the cage to pull my wires (two 16 guage primary wires) back through the cage. I also purchased a Dragon Fire rocker switch from Rocky Mountain ATV. Here a couple pics.
http://www.maverickforums.net/forum/20-can-am-maverick-accessories/953-totron-40-led-light-bar.html

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah that's pretty cheap. I have been looking on ebay also. I'm thinking about a single row...we kinda like to "stealth" look of the single. Still not sure which flood/spot pattern would be best. The 120/10 degree spread sounds interesting...but not sure if we need 10 degree spot pattern for the dunes? Maybe I'll go with the 60/30 like you Andy. You said those work good?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I like it. I'm still going to add a pair of duallys, or Totrons equivalent, to get more side lighting. I REALLY like to know whats to the side of me while out on those dune rides at night

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah that's pretty cheap. I have been looking on ebay also. I'm thinking about a single row...we kinda like to "stealth" look of the single. Still not sure which flood/spot pattern would be best. The 120/10 degree spread sounds interesting...but not sure if we need 10 degree spot pattern for the dunes? Maybe I'll go with the 60/30 like you Andy. You said those work good?
Yeah, I was the same way in picking the single row. We have to mount ours below the roof in order to not have it ripped off in the trails by low branches. I also like the "steal" look of it and I like how it's a little different from everyone else. I'm sure if I was in the dunes I would be all over the double row for sure. I bought two 40" totron with the new 5 watt Cree LEDs. Bought them off ebay and there supposed to be here today hopefully.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have been looking at these 40" Totron's and comparing them to the Rigid E series light. They look almost identical, but I did find a couple differences.
The Rigid has 16,800 lumens and uses 160 watts with a polycarbonate lens.There combo pattern is 20 degree flood and 10 degree spot.
The Totron offers 2 different double row lights bar, a DC & a DR model.
The DC model TLB 2240 has 14,400 lumens, uses 240 watts and has a tempered glass lens. It also has the combo pattern with a 60 degree flood & 12 degree spot.
The DR model TLB 3240 has way more lumens at 19200, uses 240 watts and has a polycarbonate lens. Its combo pattern is 90 degree flood & 8 degree spot.
The cost between the two is staggering.The Rigid light is listed at $1299,where the Totron light is listed at $374. From the stat sheet it appears the Totron DR model is a better light.
It would be great if anyone that has owned both to give their opinion and real world difference between the two.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I sold these for years, I have a garage full of them and I have been dumping them in ebay getting rid of my old inventory. I can tell you for a fact that these Totron lights or any of the Chinese light bars are in no way comparable to the Ridgid or VisionX lights.

With that said for the price I would buy the Chinese light in a second over the Ridgid or VisionX light. I run the 42 Inch Light Bar on my maverick and I can see just fine in the middle of the Mojave Desert at 1am with no full moon. The Chinese lights I purchase come direct from the factory that actually builds them, everyone else purchases them from this factory. They come with a 1 year warranty and I have never had one go bad expect for someone who claimed it went bad then when he sent it back you could see it was cracked down the middle from a roll over.

The Ridgid or VisionX might be brighter if you are standing on a hill looking down at the light from a distance but when it's mounted on your roof and you add HIDs and a bumper Light Bar or Spots you can't tell the difference. The HIDs and light bar on the bumper get rid of the shadows and give you distance so you can see better. The HIDs will give you the distance and the bumper 12 inch light bar will reduce the shadows of the top 42 inch light bar. The HIDs I run are 35watt low beam and 55 watt high beam. I do this because the low beam spread gets diffused when you put a 55 watt bulb in it, it washes out. When you put the 55 watt bulb in the high beam it projects perfectly.

I have tried so many different configs, always trying to find the best setup and I believe I have it and most of my friends I ride with have gone to it.

Dennis

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I sold these for years, I have a garage full of them and I have been dumping them in ebay getting rid of my old inventory. I can tell you for a fact that these Totron lights or any of the Chinese light bars are in no way comparable to the Ridgid or VisionX lights.

With that said for the price I would buy the Chinese light in a second over the Ridgid or VisionX light. I run the 42 Inch Light Bar on my maverick and I can see just fine in the middle of the Mojave Desert at 1am with no full moon. The Chinese lights I purchase come direct from the factory that actually builds them, everyone else purchases them from this factory. They come with a 1 year warranty and I have never had one go bad expect for someone who claimed it went bad then when he sent it back you could see it was cracked down the middle from a roll over.

The Ridgid or VisionX might be brighter if you are standing on a hill looking down at the light from a distance but when it's mounted on your roof and you add HIDs and a bumper Light Bar or Spots you can't tell the difference. The HIDs and light bar on the bumper get rid of the shadows and give you distance so you can see better. The HIDs will give you the distance and the bumper 12 inch light bar will reduce the shadows of the top 42 inch light bar. The HIDs I run are 35watt low beam and 55 watt high beam. I do this because the low beam spread gets diffused when you put a 55 watt bulb in it, it washes out. When you put the 55 watt bulb in the high beam it projects perfectly.

I have tried so many different configs, always trying to find the best setup and I believe I have it and most of my friends I ride with have gone to it.

Dennis
So what do you have left in your garage? I'm looking for 40"-ish 2 row LED.
Whats the difference in lighting between the TLB 2240 & 3240
Can you PM some prices.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I just bought the Totron DC series 40" LED light bar, Model TLB 3240 which claims 19,200 lumens output in a 90' flood & 8' spot pattern.
Total was $475.98 & free shipping. For that price I could not past it up.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

Dennis
Let me put it this way...
I was going to get the Rigid Ind. 40" light, but for about the same price I bought a light AND a clutch...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yep. The money I saved on the light covers the cost of my STM secondary.
Gotta love that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I thought I posted in this one already, but maybe I'm confused! must be another thread in here somewhere... I just purchased the 40" 14,400 lumen light from china.. I'm assuming its the Totron light.. I had to buy 4 of them in a sample set.. I got 2 30 degree and 2 60 degree.... I find the light to be of pretty damn good quality. I also find that 14K lumens is plenty bright!.. for a 60% less than a Rigid, I would save that cash for other parts... The switch is kinda cheesy so plan on getting a nice one, but the harness and relay it comes with is ok... Hope this helps.. It looks like I have sold the remaining lights in that sample, but I may buy more and offer them out at a better deal. my goal was to pay for mine with the profit on the other 3.... So if any of you are interested, I may do a group buy and be able to sell them cheap... Let me know!

Myron

·
Registered
853 Posts
I thought I posted in this one already, but maybe I'm confused! must be another thread in here somewhere... I just purchased the 40" 14,400 lumen light from china.. I'm assuming its the Totron light.. I had to buy 4 of them in a sample set.. I got 2 30 degree and 2 60 degree.... I find the light to be of pretty damn good quality. I also find that 14K lumens is plenty bright!.. for a 60% less than a Rigid, I would save that cash for other parts... The switch is kinda cheesy so plan on getting a nice one, but the harness and relay it comes with is ok... Hope this helps.. It looks like I have sold the remaining lights in that sample, but I may buy more and offer them out at a better deal. my goal was to pay for mine with the profit on the other 3.... So if any of you are interested, I may do a group buy and be able to sell them cheap... Let me know!

Myron
People think the Totron are better, I guarantee there not. Totron buys their lights from the same manufacturer as me.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

Myron
Yes that amount of lumens is good. If they are the same as Totron's, they are the DR model, which has a tempered glass lens. I bought the other model. DC model for 3 reasons, more lumens at 19,800 but maybe not needed, Polycarbonate lens not glass, and the beam angle is less for both the spot and flood, so the light will project in a tighter more concentrate beam.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have 2 more sets in my garage.. 30 degree and 60 degree fixed focal length.. I'm super happy with mine... will sell the other ones for 375. same as the ebay guy... I'm not in the light bar business, I had to buy 4 samples, I just want to make enough on the other 3 to cover the cost of the one I'm keeping... Let me know..

Myron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts