Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stole from another group. Guy got ticketed in WI $232 for having aftermarket seats and harnesses in SXS. Guess WI law if it’s not factory belt or seat it’s illegal. Anyone else heard of something like this?
Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper

·
Registered
75 Posts
I looked up the law because I was wondering if it was about adding more seats to a UTV but nope:

(3e) Original seating. No person may operate a utility terrain vehicle unless he or she, and every occupant of the utility terrain vehicle, is seated on a seat that is original to the utility terrain vehicle as manufactured.

Stupid.

(000001.ildoc) (wisconsin.gov)

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked up the law because I was wondering if it was about adding more seats to a UTV but nope:

(3e) Original seating. No person may operate a utility terrain vehicle unless he or she, and every occupant of the utility terrain vehicle, is seated on a seat that is original to the utility terrain vehicle as manufactured.

Stupid.

(000001.ildoc) (wisconsin.gov)
I wonder how many other states have that stupid law.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bet the intent of that law is for something like a Yamaha Rhino that a person added rear seats to make it a 4 seater. Basically adding seats where they never existed and the vehicle was never designed to have. I believe that law exists in CA also, for the reason I described.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stole from another group. Guy got ticketed in WI $232 for having aftermarket seats and harnesses in SXS. Guess WI law if it’s not factory belt or seat it’s illegal. Anyone else heard of something like this?
View attachment 281574
Sounds like a shithole state. As your lawyer I suggest moving.

·
Registered
497 Posts
View attachment 281574

this is 100% true in wi, bump seats are the main issue around here. they are illegal, regardless of it if is mounted down well. people risk it anyway but some do pay the price for it with the right dnr guy or sheriff.

steve

·
Registered
497 Posts
i have also not heard of anyone getting hassled with aftermarket seats in a stock location, that is not what the law is for nor is it for harnesses. only bump seats or add on 2 up seats on atvs.

steve

·
Registered
21 X3 XRC
341 Posts
Its most likely not a law. Its a code. Laws are voted on by the ppl. Im sure it was never voted on and just addopted into the statutes code book. Can easily be beaten in court. I would have asked the cop if he swore and oath when he was hired on and if that oath was to uphold the US constitution amd state constitution? Did you ever read either? How do you have the right to enforce what you havent even read what you swore to uphold. Fucking cops make me sick that act like this cop did if there was no extra circumstances that we dont know about.

·
Registered
2021 Sport Max
1,593 Posts
I bet the intent of that law is for something like a Yamaha Rhino that a person added rear seats to make it a 4 seater. Basically adding seats where they never existed and the vehicle was never designed to have. I believe that law exists in CA also, for the reason I described.
i'm thinking this or someone was in a bump seat. i've seen people who will put bench seats in the beds of a rig to turn it into a 4 or even 6 seater sxs

·
Premium Member
8,539 Posts
Its most likely not a law. Its a code. Laws are voted on by the ppl. Im sure it was never voted on and just addopted into the statutes code book. Can easily be beaten in court. I would have asked the cop if he swore and oath when he was hired on and if that oath was to uphold the US constitution amd state constitution? Did you ever read either? How do you have the right to enforce what you havent even read what you swore to uphold. Fucking cops make me sick that act like this cop did if there was no extra circumstances that we dont know about.
I'm not sure what you do for a living, but laws are NOT generally voted on by the people.

Laws are made by legislative branch of government.

The same goes for Federal government and state government.

Now sometimes proposals will be voted on BUT the actual law is enacted by the legislature.

The constitution is an affirmation of the rights we hold inherently.

Tim

·
Registered
722 Posts
View attachment 281574
Yep. Years and years ago when I put 5 point RCI harnesses in my Mustang I found out they were illegal for street use. They were SFI rated but not approved for street use.

This goes back to the numbers game thing from the golf cart street legal thread and also to aftermarket stuff often being junk.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You sound like one of those sovereign citizen people lol

·
Registered
2020 X3 X rs Turbo RR
196 Posts
CA has a law regarding the seats in UTVs, but it applies only to adding add'l seats that don't/didn't exist on the vehicle in it's stock form, just as Ricepow said. I would guess (could be wrong) that the WI law was initially "intended" for the same purpose, but as it worked it's way through committees, it was inadvertently worded in a way that excludes aftermarket seats installed in the original location. And no, it could not be beaten in court. State Statutes ARE the law.[/B]

·
Registered
21 X3 XRC
341 Posts
You sound like one of those sovereign citizen people lol
It actually takes a lot of work to be recognized as a sovereign citizen. You cant just claim it. Have to get out of the corporation of American. You need to get a certificate of live birth. Renounce your birth certificate and ss card ect. There is a lot to it.

·
Registered
21 X3 XRC
341 Posts
I'm not sure what you do for a living, but laws are NOT generally voted on by the people.

Laws are made by legislative branch of government.

The same goes for Federal government and state government.

Now sometimes proposals will be voted on BUT the actual law is enacted by the legislature.

The constitution is an affirmation of the rights we hold inherently.

Tim
Actually have a degree in criminal justice. Once i saw how it is designed and ran i wanted nothing to do with it. Spent the next 13 years in the military and saw enough to make me sick. Got the f out of that. Republicans are just as bad as democrats and want the same thing. Just at a different pace. If you think we went to war over terrorists and WMD’s you are mistaken. It was all for fiat currency. Those laws you speak of are just what your are told by a corporation. Why do you think most of these politicians never get in trouble for the stuff they do. Anyways. They are just seat belts. Cop was a douche

1 - 20 of 30 Posts