Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any preference over either one or have a reason of why one is better? I need to get 4 new harnesses for the Enem‘s station wagon and I n he automotive buckle style and I hadn’t noticed them before. I plan on getting 2” as it for her and the kids in that one Primarily.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
Latch and Link! Automotive ones can jam, either open or closed.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
133 Posts
Station Wagon? If you're discussing harnesses for a street car the wife & kids will be riding in, don't even consider a latch & link style -- they are cumbersome to latch.

But if your station wagon is a four-seat SXS, then Latch & Link is the way to go. I have a Simpson racing harness in my drag race car that's a latch & link style and when the SFI cert expires I'm going to a cam lock. Latch & link is great for a dirt car as unlike a cam lock or OEM style buckle, it's hard to foul the L&L mechanism with dust and debris. But it's a PITA to buckle them in some applications.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Latch and Link! Automotive ones can jam, either open or closed.
ABSLOLUTELY!

No question at all latch and link.

Even rotary is not good for off road.

Not only is the latch and link less likley to ever get stuck from dirt and debris but it is much quicker and intuitive in an emergency situation.

Tim

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Station Wagon? If you're discussing harnesses for a street car the wife & kids will be riding in, don't even consider a latch & link style -- they are cumbersome to latch.

But if your station wagon is a four-seat SXS, then Latch & Link is the way to go. I have a Simpson racing harness in my drag race car that's a latch & link style and when the SFI cert expires I'm going to a cam lock. Latch & link is great for a dirt car as unlike a cam lock or OEM style buckle, it's hard to foul the L&L mechanism with dust and debris. But it's a PITA to buckle them in some applications.
Ease of latching is really not a consideration when safety is concerned.

I'm not sure where you got the info that rotary (cam) is fine for off road but that could not be further from accurate. In fact it's the worst possible choice.

Cam is used in street racing and aircraft not off road for a reason.

Please watch this video or at least the first few minutes.
Tim

Watch "5 Things You Need to Know about Racing Harness Safety - Rock Rods Tech" on YouTube

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
You can make if really fun and get the camlock style.

Automotive style are easy, but if you end up upside down they can be hard to release. Latch and Link is the easier to release and when upside down there is no issues getting them to release.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts

Camlock style is legal to use in SCORE and BITD races. A lot of the desert trophy truck guys have made the switch. I have a friend that runs them in his X3 and so far no issues. The do take a little getting use to when buckling up, but one you get it down it goes quickly.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
133 Posts
Ease of latching is really not a consideration when safety is concerned.

I'm not sure where you got the info that rotary (cam) is fine for off road but that could not be further from accurate. In fact it's the worst possible choice.

Cam is used in street racing and aircraft not off road for a reason.

Please watch this video or at least the first few minutes.
Tim

Watch "5 Things You Need to Know about Racing Harness Safety - Rock Rods Tech" on YouTube
Tim, read my post again and pay attention to the Drag Race Car harnesses expiring and being replaced with cam lock. Not much chance of dirt & debris on a groomed asphalt drag strip. Not all my race cars are for the dirt.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Camlock style is legal to use in SCORE and BITD races. A lot of the desert trophy truck guys have made the switch. I have a friend that runs them in his X3 and so far no issues. The do take a little getting use to when buckling up, but one you get it down it goes quickly.
Cam Lock Harness Buckles for Off Road racing

Reactions: sand shark

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Tim, read my post again and pay attention to the Drag Race Car harnesses expiring and being replaced with cam lock. Not much chance of dirt & debris on a groomed asphalt drag strip. Not all my race cars are for the dirt.
I get what you're saying but is not clear and leads newbs to get the wrong idea.

I get that Cam CAN be used in off road but in my opinion and lots of others it has no place in the dirt.

Like you and I both said asphalt Is fine.

Tim

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have Sparco cam locks in my car. Even back when I was drag racing, I used cam locks with great success.
The nice thing about cam locks are it's a smaller area in your lap. The latch style has a big flat area that digs into your lap or stomach.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yeah, it's just an 800 4 seater I picked up cheap for them. They'd never drive in an kind of manner to need the harness over the seatbelt but I figure if someone else comes around the corner and hits them head on they've got some kind of protection at least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts