Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am preparing to leave for my favorite Largemouth Bass fishing spot.
The world famous Lake El Salto, Mazatlan Mexico. This will be my 9th trip down to this awesome lake. I have found that the fishing is always better than anywhere else but sometimes it can be simply out of this world fantastic. It is normal for a guy to catch 50 to 100 bass per day with the majority of fish between 4 to 8 lbs. However,the lake has a large number of fish caught well over the 10lb mark. I have hooked a few of these big pigs over the years but haven't been able to land the 10+ one yet. Wish me luck on my up coming trip. Here is a few pic's of some of my nice one's.

Last picture is from the 32 man tournament last May, I organized. This yr, it's 34 spots and were sold out!!

2011 006.jpg 7.6 lb El Salto Bass.jpg 7.8 lb El Salto Bass.jpg 6.4 lb El Salto Bass.jpg EL Salto 2012 015.jpg

Reactions: al8apex

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have been to Lake El Salto myself. Went with a couple guys I work in the oil patch with. Definitely some of the best bass fishing I have ever done. Get's to the point of getting wore out lol. But I was like you and wanted that big boy.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been to Lake El Salto myself. Went with a couple guys I work in the oil patch with. Definitely some of the best bass fishing I have ever done. Get's to the point of getting wore out lol. But I was like you and wanted that big boy.
Yeah I have been bitten hard by this place. You can easily cast your arm into a rubber noddle if you don't pace yourself. I went in July one year and there were times when we told the guide, its time to switch from crank & swimbaits to a worm & jig fishing because we were wore out. Hit the right bank or point and its a fish on every cast. My record is 22 cast's in a row with a decent fish of 3lbs or better. The place is unbelievable for sure. That's one of the reason's I keep going back. I also organize a 32 or 34 man tourney every yr. in May. Bass pro shops here I come!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well I'd be interested in checking out that next tourney boss if you want to PM me details. I do alot of fishing. Looking at going to Costa Rica in April to catch a few large fish on light tackle.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'd be interested in checking out that next tourney boss if you want to PM me details. I do alot of fishing. Looking at going to Costa Rica in April to catch a few large fish on light tackle.
I have a buddy from work in Costa Rica right now.Lucky ba$t&rD!. Sorry but the tourney is work related and usually sells out in 1 day. As soon as I put out the date, guys are ALL over it. That's why I had to increase to 34 guys this year, which is their max.The resort, Angler's Inn has room to sleep 40 but they don't have enough boats and guides to cover 40 fisherman.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Bought a house on caddo lake in north west Louisiana about 8 years ago because I love to bass fish. I used to fish 4 days a week all day, since I bought this house I've been fishing maybe 20 times. Something about remodeling a house, and rasing 5 kids has kept me off the water. I've dreamedof fishing el salto for years, maybe one day. Anyway good luck hope u get a 10+ on this trip. I've caught a 9.6 a few years ago but can't get into the 10+ range ether.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
El Salto Trophies.jpg EL Salto 2012 022.jpg
Oh I got ya! IT would be bad for an Okie to come show you guys up anyways :big smile:
Ha ha, be careful what you wish for. There is a couple of very serious guys that have joined the fun. A 9 yr veteran NFL player, who's now retired joined in last yr and spanked it pretty good. He used to have his own fishing/outdoor show, so he was dialed in. I set it up so each day you get a different pre-slected team member so you are fishing with him for team awards and against him for individual awards. Keeps it honest & fun. We give some nice wood trophies and cash awards for the winners. Then we also have a poker tournament at night! Awesome time for sure

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here a few more pic's to enjoy!!
I'm only 2 weeks away from this next trip so I'm just a little excited! :big smile:

El Salto 2010 020.jpg El Salto 2010 026.jpg El Salto 2010 033.jpg El Salto Lodge 2010.jpg El Salto dining area.jpg

If anyone wants any info on this place, don't hesitate to contact me for help or info.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
bass fishing forum
I will have to check it out. Although I'm spoiled and don't freshwater fish much anywhere except lake el Salto. That's the problem with this lake, it's so good that other places are boring compared to the action you get there.
I also get to see a good friend of mine when I go down there a couple times a year. So she provides that little extra motivation. :)

Reactions: Whattha

·
Registered
727 Posts
The trouble with Bass fisherman is they never caught a Salmon in the river.:haha:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The trouble with Bass fisherman is they never caught a Salmon in the river.:haha:
That's not a true statement. I have caught salmon in the Russian river.
Also, I am a fisherman, not just a bass fisherman.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bought a house on caddo lake in north west Louisiana about 8 years ago because I love to bass fish. I used to fish 4 days a week all day, since I bought this house I've been fishing maybe 20 times. Something about remodeling a house, and rasing 5 kids has kept me off the water. I've dreamedof fishing el salto for years, maybe one day. Anyway good luck hope u get a 10+ on this trip. I've caught a 9.6 a few years ago but can't get into the 10+ range ether.
Yeah that 10lb club is elusive. It certainly requires skill but it also takes a lot of luck even in a lake where there are plenty. They don't get that big because their stupid. I have friends that have caught plenty over 10lb but they have alot more experience bass fishing than I have.I have 2 trips planned this year so, I'm confident it will happen in the near future.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Getting ready to leave next week, so just finishing the messy tackle prep job. Just upgraded to the new Browning tackle bag which holds 50% more tackle.:big smile: This bag is awesome, it holds 10 plano boxes!!! and it has pockets everywhere. Also picked up a new 6'6" MH graphite rod, so this year I'm taking 5 rods.
El Salto prep.jpg

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I'm happy that mess is cleaned up. All 5 rods are packed away neatly in the rod tube. Since I bought a new large tackle bag, I had to buy a bigger suitcase to fit everything inside. But that's a good problem. The lodge called me last Friday to give me a personal fish report. They said it's still a little slow, maybe 50 fish a day, :big smile: but the average size has been good 4 to 8lbs with some 10+ monster's coming on top water action. I'm lovin the way that sounds!!Wish me luck and I'll be posting some picture's when I return next week.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts