Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts
I don't have one, but everybody that does state they work, and work well. The price is the biggest sticking point.

Reactions: flatout

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have several friends who swear by these for off road racing. I mostly dune so haven't gotten one myself but probably should.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Curious if the Lab testing was done simulating the airflow pulsing created by the Engine. Is it possible that the KWT uses this in the filter system design. Hard to believe their claim is 85% less in actual lab testing. Companies tend to inflate specs however typically not that much. Well China Light bars aside lol.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Well I can definitely say that the S&B is doing its job. I inspected mine during my regular maintenance interval and it still looks new. Can't say the same on the filters on my other rides when I did them.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I agree the S & B does work well. I ride in a lot of dust and when I checked my filter at 300 miles and it looked brand new

·
Registered
395 Posts
Curious if the Lab testing was done simulating the airflow pulsing created by the Engine. Is it possible that the KWT uses this in the filter system design. Hard to believe their claim is 85% less in actual lab testing. Companies tend to inflate specs however typically not that much. Well China Light bars aside lol.
Turbo cars like to breath and most people don't not ride around in the silt beds...... the restrictions of air data collected if accurate? would persuade me to purchase one with best results

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have had the S&B for about a year and the filter still looks new. I have put about 1000 mile on the car both in sand and dusty desert trials ridding behind other side by sides and it just keeps amazing me. I have not noticed any power loss at high or low altitudes. I am impressed and very happy with the S&B separator and their customer service.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The S&B for sure! Its proven and approved by BRP. The KWT looks cheesy. They say it was developed using mathematical algorithms and 3D Modeling but don’t explain how it works.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts

Anyone have any knowledge about these?

https://www.kwtfilters.com/how-it-works/

Interesting claim that they achieve 98% separation without a fan which is better than 94% with S&B particle separators that require a fan.

My friend has one on his XP1000. He likes it and it works pretty well. He said his filter stays cleaner longer. He did run into a minor issue in Baja. The intake got caked with wet dust and slowed down his airflow causing his XP to not run correctly. He had to wipe it off a few times and all was good. He had it facing forward and it the wet dust would just stick to the fogskin.
Turning it around would of solved the problem. I talked to them at the sand show and they said there is no issue with facing it backwards to keep from getting caked.

·
Official Site Vendor
7,051 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking about buying one.
I saw the KWT at the Sand Sports show and liked them. The install on the X3 is clean and I liked it better than the S&B for the X3. Pro UTV Parts has them. I have seen literature from S&B that claims they don't work. After talking to the KWT folks I an not convinced that the S&B test was totally fair.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
The testing speaks for itself. 230CFM seems high. Pressure drop at half that flow is more relevant but the ISO test is what it is, and is at least a standard.

I don't see KWT stepping up with anything except attempts at buzzwords (algorithms and quantum leaps)?

If they felt the test wasn't "fair" it would be interesting to hear why, maybe even testing documentation to back their own claims of 98% filtration efficiency? I can see challenging the filtration efficiency claims based on particle size. Pressure drop numbers are what they are.

I'll keep my S&B. Happy to have funded their legitimate testing.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Both impede the intake unfortunately.
If you ride in super dusty conditions on 100+mile rides the trade off is worth how much dust does not make it to your filter. In the dunes it is not necessary.

Reactions: Mr Ted and mgrotel

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Actually the S&B particle separator is less restrictive than the factory frogzskin side cover, so you're actually improving airflow with the S&B particle separator. The KWT device is 78% more restrictive than stock. By installing it, you're adding about the same amount of airflow restriction as a halfway clogged filter. The whole point of a particle separator is to prevent loss of airflow. Considering KWT's claimed "quantum leap forward in engineering and science," you'd think they'd catch this when developing their product.
S&B is less restrictive at 230CFM, but they are both MORE restrictive than stock at actual flow rates where the engine will operate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
I dont have either 1 but when was the last time you drove your car in a lab, they're good to test the product they're designed to test , I wonder why they have a card board shroud around the kwt but not the s-b , the best test would be to put new air filters in 2 cars weight the filter before installing them then goout on a track , something like the mint and do a lap 1 lap the kwt in front the second lap the s-b in front shat way they both run in the same air afterwards remove the air filters and reweight them the heaviest fitler is the looser

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I dont have either 1 but when was the last time you drove your car in a lab, they're good to test the product they're designed to test , I wonder why they have a card board shroud around the kwt but not the s-b , the best test would be to put new air filters in 2 cars weight the filter before installing them then goout on a track , something like the mint and do a lap 1 lap the kwt in front the second lap the s-b in front shat way they both run in the same air afterwards remove the air filters and reweight them the heaviest fitler is the looser
Impossible to control all variables in a test like that. I see your point, but the lab is the place to get hard numbers from repeatable testing.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts