Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to go to 30" Carnivores for my 17 XDS. At the same time, I'm wanting to optimize my clutching to handle the heavier, larger tires. I mainly ride trails in Arkansas (85%) with maybe 1-2 trips to Little Sahara sand dunes each year. Which company makes the best "kit" for my needs? Just wanting to regain stock performance, and maybe add a little here and there. Also wanting belt life to remain at or near stock levels.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Curious does adding the 30? tires make that big of difference on stock clutch? I figured ppl were doing clutching once they did tunes and better belt life.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heck, I might actually get the new Braven (Pit Bull) Berserker's instead of Maxxis Carnivore's.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm looking to go to 30" Carnivores for my 17 XDS. At the same time, I'm wanting to optimize my clutching to handle the heavier, larger tires. I mainly ride trails in Arkansas (85%) with maybe 1-2 trips to Little Sahara sand dunes each year. Which company makes the best "kit" for my needs? Just wanting to regain stock performance, and maybe add a little here and there. Also wanting belt life to remain at or near stock levels.
Seems many folks on here like both set ups. I went with EPI because I like to do the work myself and it was only $299. I got 10% off at SSSS but I also bought the EPI tool to easily remove springs. My X3 ran well trail riding but I have to wait until Thanksgiving week to try out the dunes.

Check out Aaron Shea on youtube. He has some good info on KWI. It would cost about $1000 bucks to send your clutches off, have them redo clutch kit and work on the secondary clutch to help with the misalignment that some of the clutches may have. It is suppose to help out with belt life as well.

Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Does doing an aftermarket clutch setup quiet the clutches down any? The stock weights have some side to side movement which I am assuming is causing all the sound behind your head and hopefully aftermarket weights won?t have this movement?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Basic KWI upgrade witch includes facing the shevs and the mod on the secondary is $350. Update for bigger tires will run it up to $ 1000. But its the best thing you can do for your clutches. Cooler temps, much better belt grip which has to lead to longer life. Just my $ 2cents. shoe

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have a link, I'm curious. Google still return nada.
Go to their Facebook page "Pit Bull Tires" and look for their video they posted Monday, Oct 30th around 10:49 AM central. Watch the video, focus on the tires, and ignore the goofiness.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Go to their Facebook page "Pit Bull Tires" and look for their video they posted Monday, Oct 30th around 10:49 AM central. Watch the video, focus on the tires, and ignore the goofiness.
Okay seen them. Look like a cross between Liberties and Carnivores. Closer threads in middle, larger lugs on the outside.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Basic KWI upgrade witch includes facing the shevs and the mod on the secondary is $350. Update for bigger tires will run it up to $ 1000. But its the best thing you can do for your clutches. Cooler temps, much better belt grip which has to lead to longer life. Just my $ 2cents. shoe
Do you have temp guage comparisons to stock?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seeing as how the XRS comes with 30" tires stock, I would try the stock clutching before upgrading. You might realize that you dont need to upgrade at all.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Wonder what weights and springs the max clutches are using.
The 18 max x3 makes 7800-7900 rpm with 32" tires on shift out.
17 x3 is only 7400 with a lighter 32" wheel and tire on same sandy wash at 5000' elevation.

·
Registered
520 Posts
So are you guys just replacing the weights with the oem high altitude weights or doing a kit from KWI or EPI? I figured if I was going to spend money on the clutches I would just do the whole kit from EPI since it also includes the spring which I bet will help.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
So are you guys just replacing the weights with the oem high altitude weights or doing a kit from KWI or EPI? I figured if I was going to spend money on the clutches I would just do the whole kit from EPI since it also includes the spring which I bet will help.
Well if I was you I would do the KWI program since Kris will machine the clutch faces and float that old clutch out to. Then it all works awesome. just a thought.

·
Premium Member
7,823 Posts
Wonder what weights and springs the max clutches are using.
The 18 max x3 makes 7800-7900 rpm with 32" tires on shift out.
17 x3 is only 7400 with a lighter 32" wheel and tire on same sandy wash at 5000' elevation.
Interesting!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts