Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying to plan out a 3 or 4 day trip to one or the other (Kentucky or tennisee) for either the end of May or beginning of June.. I know their is a lot of good trail systems in both places but I would like to know from those of you with experience on the trail systems in these states where the best place to ride is (the less rock the better) ?? And where we could get the most members to go?? Any information on the places would be appreciated..I Know I can look everything up but would rather have the opinions of fellow members who have been on these trail systems..

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I’m following! Definitely interested in Tennessee Brimstone,Royal Blue or Sanquest. I haven’t been to Windrock but have met several people from the area saying it’s rocky.I have maps for all mentioned areas including Windrock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You're not wrong about Windrock being rocky, but they have an enormous amount of terrain and you can usually find some trails to suit your riding style. Royal Blue is a ton of fun as well, not as rocky and a little more fast paced, but doesn't have the volume that Windrock has. I haven't been to Brimstone yet, but have only heard great things. If your willing to put up with the bumpy ride and maybe some tougher trails, then I would definitely recommend Windrock as you can easily make a week long trip there and be able to cover a ton of different trails and some incredible views.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Windrock is the largest area. However, if you don't want as much rock, I would recommend staying at Brimstone and spend 2 days covering Brimstone and the New River area. Royal Blue is a short distance away, so 1 day there. Great riding, just not as big. (although you can't cover it all in 1 day) The eastern side of Windrock is not near as rocky or rough as the campground/main entrance side and can be entered from close to Brimstone/Royal Blue. Spend 1 day there to get a feel for Windrock. Strongly suggest a tablet with maps from Lifetime Trailmaps. This will show you how these areas layout and connect. Guys who know the trails well can ride all these areas from 1 starting spot, but tough without local knowledge. Great riding all!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Wind rock is not that big. Neither is brimstone. The twra trail system which includes royal blue, sunquist and twra is the biggest trail system around. A person can ride for weeks and never hit the same trail. Wind rock is fun but if you take the hard trails it will take a toll on your machine unless you are an experienced rider. If you like mud brimstone is the place for you. Both windrock and brimstone are per person permits meaning each person pays to ride ie 4 people , 4 permits . Twra is per buggy. Windrock employees are dicks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also looking at possibly turkey bay... anyone been there or interested in going?? How does it compare to the places mentioned??

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Turkey Bay - very small 4 sq miles but it has beaches,hill climbing,absolutely beautiful,boat and jet ski rentals. The nicest condo I’ve ever stayed at. Great summer vacation for the family,book early.

Windrock is by far my favorite but I have three trips to Brimstone scheduled this summer (stay at Trails End). Easy to access Twra from there.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info..keep it coming and as soon as I get things planned out..( dates depending on wife's surgery dates from an accident) I will let you all know and hopefully some of you can join us

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was born and raised there . Although I no longer live there I still go to rush a couple times a year. It’s got about 100-150 miles of trails from easy to hold the hell on. Twra would be my choice depending on how long you plan on staying. A weekend at rush is enough . But you could do a week at twra and never be on the same trail. I’ll be at rush on the 11th of April through the wkend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Lots of easy trails at Hatfield McCoy in WV. Just a little further. We try to book all our trips at least 6 months in advance, if you want to go somewhere in May you should hurry.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have the option to be in a hurry on a decision because it will depend on how well my wife is feeling.. she has a big surgery the end of this month and I have to wait and see how quickly she is going to heal up enough to take a trip like this.. I want to make sure she is able to enjoy it as much as the rest of us.. that's the biggest reason for this post is to aquire the opinions of others who have been to these places to help me decide where to go..most of us going are very experienced but theirs a couple who have slightly above average experience so most trails will be moderate and extreme

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
if stay at windrock or at brimstone can ride for days and to the other riding areas without a problem, including royal blue (both sides of I-75). the best riding area is tackett creek, most challenging and fun. best trail anywhere is the water trail on west side of I-75 in royal blue/sunquist areas. best trails at windrock are t-57 and t-75 if want challenge. best trails on the wma (and there are plenty of others) is just past the eternal flame and pinchon creek camp trail from the top to the bottom lands, bunch good trails at brimstone. remember need paid passes to ride anywhere when going, 1 for windrock, 1 for brimstone and 1 for wma. boundaries are not marked, even though windrock boundaries pretty clear by using the maps. if stay at trails end (great place to stay, run by great people) it is almost surrounded by brimstone. if ride from there probably need both wma and brimstone passes to be safe. some areas can ride on the roads but need to check to make sure. can get gas and food at all riding areas except tackett (unless go to Middlesboro ky). several sources for maps of all areas. windrock has 72K + acres, brimstone around 22k, no telling for wma and tackett is 70K +

·
Registered
327 Posts
I will be in Tackett Creek in 2 weeks with 2 other machines and have never been before. I'm looking forward to it and have heard it is really good riding. Hopefully the weather will be nice....probably do a Friday/Saturday ride, and come home Saturday night.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
So did ya end up going?
Mine-Made park in Eastern KY just was awarded 1.5 mil for improvements.
Might be something to think about.
I am thinking it is 7K acres?

·
Registered
327 Posts
So did ya end up going?
Mine-Made park in Eastern KY just was awarded 1.5 mil for improvements.
Might be something to think about.
I am thinking it is 7K acres?
Yea, puts everything else to shame imo. Tackett Creek is not for the faint of heart. Probably going to end up there again around October or November for a weekend ride.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Chattanooga Mountains, have driven through there dozens of times (found the best biscuits and gravy I've ever had in my life off some exit). Really friendly folks also.

Man, I can only imagine how beautiful exploring the off the chart places in that area must be. Need pictures!!!

Bucket list item for sure

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was curious. I googled Tackett creek, but didnt show much.
We ride a lot of Red Crest Trail System in Ky, there are a lot of outlaw trails also

1 - 20 of 28 Posts