Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I thought I was doing an alright job cleaning my 2013 XRS after each ride (mountainous dirt/mud/muskeg) but was just hit with a 2900 dollar clutch overhaul due to “extreme wear” and a significant amount of dirt impacted in them. Apparently the primary was completely seized!!!

Can someone please detail what I should do to clean the clutches and how often you clean them. I tried YouTube as video is better for me but could not find anything.

Not that I did a lot of mud and deep water to begin with but now I want to avoid it at all costs!!!! Thanks for the help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,041 Posts
I blow out my clutches with compressed air after every trip. If there is any belt residue on the sheave faces, a little denatured alcohol, and a Scotchbrite pad works. You have to think of it as part of your maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I blow out my clutches with compressed air after every trip. If there is any belt residue on the sheave faces, a little denatured alcohol, and a Scotchbrite pad works. You have to think of it as part of your maintenance schedule.
Thanks for the reply, I am definitely adding it to the list. So, to blow the clutches out, do you just remove the black cover? Any special procedures to follow? Should the cover be sealed with something to help prevent water/mud ingestion?

·
Premium Member
9,041 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I am definitely adding it to the list. So, to blow the clutches out, do you just remove the black cover? Any special procedures to follow? Should the cover be sealed with something to help prevent water/mud ingestion?

I don't have that model, so I can't really say that much. But yes, you definitely need to pull the cover off. Clutches produce a lot of dust, and if you don't blow them out, it just starts to accumulate.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, maybe someone else will know those specifics of that.

I am going to spray brake cleaner, I assume I have to remove the belt first

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would not use brake clean. Compressed air works to get the dust out. If it is really dirty from being submerged in muddy water then use water. With air or water, start it up and get the sheaves spinning as you blow it out. You will have to let it dry first before you can drive it, though if you use water. You should clean it at least every 500 miles. More often if you get the clutches wet. Good luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Their should be a seal on your cover and unless you go in water deeper than your intake their shouldn't be any getting into it if you don't go that deep and it's getting in then you have another problem maby a bad tube? A common spot for that on your machine is the belt exhaust tube on the back of the cover it dry rots.. you should also do regular clutch maintenance if haven't been already.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies and help so far, I learned a TON about the clutches over the last week or so on YouTube. I thought they were much more complicated than they actually are. Had I known what I know now, I would not have paid nearly 2,000 dollars for the dealer to fix it...I would have looked at installing an aftermarket clutch instead to add additional power and belt cooling properties. I can say though, after the work it has much more power and switches into gear WAY easier!!!

Routine clutch blowouts has been added to the list as well. As for frequency, how often do you blow yours out? Every ride, mid way through the season, once a year?

Their should be a seal on your cover and unless you go in water deeper than your intake their shouldn't be any getting into it if you don't go that deep and it's getting in then you have another problem maby a bad tube? A common spot for that on your machine is the belt exhaust tube on the back of the cover it dry rots.. you should also do regular clutch maintenance if haven't been already.
Usually, no, I try to stay out of deep water. However, there was an instance where my wife went through a puddle that "submerged" her to about her "waist" she says...I'm not quite sure about the accuracy of that statement though as she also said she was on a fairly "steep angle" as well. That being said, I am sure the clutch cover was submerged for a brief period of time. As for the intake...I am assuming it is on the clutch cover case or close by?

How many miles do you have on your clutch?
I will have to check when I get back home as I am out of the country right now but I know it's got about 50 hours on the machine with the original clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Regular clutch maintenance after every weekend / event / 100 miles is the routine I follow. Inspect your belt & clutches, looking for glazing, cracks, pieces missing. Use compressed air to blow out the housing. NEVER spray brake cleaner, especially on the belt.
Green or red Scotchbrite pad on the pulleys.

Have you ever changed your belt? I'm assuming after this expensive experience the shop installed a new belt. I'd suggest to break that belt in properly, then after 300 - 400 miles, remove that belt, carry it with you as a spare and install a new belt, same break in procedure. This will not only give you the hands on experience changing a belt in the comfort of your garage, but now you'll have a pre broken in belt & the experience to change if / when it goes out on you out in the middle of EBF.

Original belt, aftermarket, "World's Best", your choice. Lots of opinions out there.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Regular clutch maintenance after every weekend / event / 100 miles is the routine I follow. Inspect your belt & clutches, looking for glazing, cracks, pieces missing. Use compressed air to blow out the housing. NEVER spray brake cleaner, especially on the belt.
Green or red Scotchbrite pad on the pulleys.

Have you ever changed your belt? I'm assuming after this expensive experience the shop installed a new belt. I'd suggest to break that belt in properly, then after 300 - 400 miles, remove that belt, carry it with you as a spare and install a new belt, same break in procedure. This will not only give you the hands on experience changing a belt in the comfort of your garage, but now you'll have a pre broken in belt & the experience to change if / when it goes out on you out in the middle of EBF.

Original belt, aftermarket, "World's Best", your choice. Lots of opinions out there.

Hope that helps.

That does help, thanks for taking the time to reply. They did replace the belt with a new one and left the old one on the passenger floor of the SxS. To be honest, I looked at the old one and can't see any issues with it...all the teeth look good to me, no shiny spots, no cracks or fraying etc but, as you are aware, I am not by any means qualified to judge the condition of a belt. While I will take your advice for sure, for now, I will keep the old one as a spare.

Pre-qualifying this with "I am going to research it as well" how do you break in the belt? Nothing was said to me when I picked it up. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it!!

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
The Stealership took your check and didn't give you the basic break in procedure speech??? SMH ....

Sure, save that belt if there's nothing visibly wrong with it. Will get you home / back to the trailer.

Might want to invest in a Belt Temperature gauge, depending on your driving habits (an entirely different thread).

Googled "Can Am X3 Belt Break In Procedure Maverick Forums" ;

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&sxsrf=ACYBGNQQO3YAkX2Tvfj6NAR97_aE76Uk4Q:1568655473243&ei=cch_XfypDsby-gSDhpj4Aw&q=Can+Am+X3+Belt+Break+In+Procedure+Maverick+Forums&oq=Can+Am+X3+Belt+Break+In+Procedure+Maverick+Forums&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3...1983334.2006056..2007484...6.1..0.290.4239.0j22j4......0....1.........0i71j30i10j0i8i30.J5tkNlskVqs

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Stealership took your check and didn't give you the basic break in procedure speech??? SMH ....

Sure, save that belt if there's nothing visibly wrong with it. Will get you home / back to the trailer.

Might want to invest in a Belt Temperature gauge, depending on your driving habits (an entirely different thread).

Googled "Can Am X3 Belt Break In Procedure Maverick Forums" ;

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&sxsrf=ACYBGNQQO3YAkX2Tvfj6NAR97_aE76Uk4Q:1568655473243&ei=cch_XfypDsby-gSDhpj4Aw&q=Can+Am+X3+Belt+Break+In+Procedure+Maverick+Forums&oq=Can+Am+X3+Belt+Break+In+Procedure+Maverick+Forums&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3...1983334.2006056..2007484...6.1..0.290.4239.0j22j4......0....1.........0i71j30i10j0i8i30.J5tkNlskVqs

Thanks for that, yes they said NOTHING about belt break in procedures!! I think they just wanted me to leave when I picked it up though as I was a little pissed that they had it for nearly a month when I was told it would be a week. Unfortunately I was out of town so my hands were tied...the pickup however was a little awkward on their end but without apology!!

As ofr the belt, fortunately, I've only been up and down the back alley three times to see if the cooling fan would engage which was the original reason for the taking it there to begin with. After letting it warm up, I did pint it for about 50 yards..ish each time so I hope it did not potentially do any damage to the new belt.

The clutch stuff came into play as I asked them to do a quick once over as well to ensure everything was OK...they didn't go hunting for it. Like I said earlier, according to them, the primary was seized requiring a whole list of replacement parts. In the end, it's done, the machine is running great and I won't return to them. Sadly, they are the only dealership within a three hour drive of me so...YouTube and this forum for advice it is :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts