Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for something for the father-in-law. The Rhino just isnt cutting it any more. He’s not a duner and doesnt need a turbo. Does lots of trail riding and needs to run bigger 32”+ tires to get into some of the places we go. Also looking at the Sport RC but the Kawi looks like a beast.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yes we have one in our group. It’s a beast. Big, seems durable, extremely plush, not real fast. For casual trail riding or rock crawling, they are great. Very stout machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
The suspension I've been told works as well as a X3. Kawasaki gave that car to Fox for over 3 months of testing and tuning the valving so the consumer got a really awesome suspension from the get go. If I was just trail riding or just desert trails to I think that's the car to get.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
Everyone that has them for trail riding love them. Kawi makes a solid SXS and the suspension is suppose to be really good. They are impressive in person. Very well thought out and lots of storage.

They come with 31" tires, so jumping to a 32" tire will be no big deal.

For your Father-in-law I would get the Kawi.

Reactions: Desertdog01

·
Official Site Vendor
6,770 Posts
The KRX is a great machine. As with any first year machine it has some bugs. The biggest is the knuckles break and the front wheels fall off. The plus is that 35" tires bolt on and work! We have the Knuckle fix. Run 35" tires with confidence!

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is supposed to be a turbo kit coming from kawi and watch shock therapy's live feed about track scrub they talk about the geometry of the kwai being superior to all others straight off a race truck design, no track scrub and toe control is spot on , best factory set up ,just needs more power

·
Registered
324 Posts
I watched a video of McGrath going around a super cross track in one and it seemed to have trouble rotating in the turns. Looked to be a lot of understeer. That is probably more important to me than to you guys out west but thought I would mention it. I would really like to be turned loose in one and maybe have some time with one to fiddle around with suspension on one.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I watched a video of McGrath going around a super cross track in one and it seemed to have trouble rotating in the turns. Looked to be a lot of understeer. That is probably more important to me than to you guys out west but thought I would mention it. I would really like to be turned loose in one and maybe have some time with one to fiddle around with suspension on one.
its 1900+ pounds, its big and has a relatively high COG compared to the X3. its not going to turn like some of the other machines on the market, however an X3 isnt perfect out of the box either. a bone stock RZR has a ton of understeer as well. this Kawie rides crazy good, purely because its so heavy and its mass resists change in inertia so the shocks and suspension are forced to do the work rather than the machine bounce around. they are nice for a sight seeing rig, booze cruising, hauling some fire wood and lookin pretty. if you wanna haul butt its not incredibly impressive but i suspect this being their first machine on the sport level, it will be just a few years of cutting teeth then they start cranking out big power to make this machine fit in with the big boys. the chassis and suspension and everything is ready for it, they just need moar motor and moar power.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
There is supposed to be a turbo kit coming from kawi and watch shock therapy's live feed about track scrub they talk about the geometry of the kwai being superior to all others straight off a race truck design, no track scrub and toe control is spot on , best factory set up ,just needs more power
K&T is developing the turbo kit for Kawi. I would rather the turbo come from the factory as there seems to be a lot less issues.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He’s going to go look at one today but also has his eye on a 64” RZR turbo (not XP) for around the same price. Trying to tell him he dont need a turbo car. I think if anything the pure size of the KRX may scare him away. We’ll see...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own a KRX and a 2017 X3 with a stage 2 powertune. The Krx is probably the smoothest sxs I have driven as far as ride and clutch engagement. When you get into the throttle, it does have good power. I believe part of the issue is the reduced throttle response from the factory, which the Alba tune is supposed to help. The front and rear stabilizers make it stay pretty level throughout cornering. It's not as nimble as the X3, and by no means does it have the same power, but there is definitely a different fun factor with the Krx when doing casual trail riding and off trail riding. When people refer to the krx as a "beast" it's pretty spot on. I paid $15675 plus tax and what you get for a stock machine in my opinion is a pretty good deal. I still love my X3 and if I had to sell one, it would be the krx. My family test drove the Krx, talon, and rzr 1000. At the end of the day everyone liked the krx is best and all described it as the smoothest machine.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The KRX is a great machine. As with any first year machine it has some bugs. The biggest is the knuckles break and the front wheels fall off. The plus is that 35" tires bolt on and work! We have the Knuckle fix. Run 35" tires with confidence!

Was reading over on the KRX forum that Kawi issued a recall on the knuckles and has a redesign out.

401 Posts
I've spent quite a bit of time in a KRX and riding with them. Great machines and will be my next trail rig for sure. Power is lacking and they are heavy but they are stout and built to handle quite a bit of abuse. The ride is pretty good out of the box and will be fine for 75% that just trail them. The suspension geometry like mentioned above is the best out of all of them on the market currently. Justin at Shock Therapy did a great video on it explaining the benefits. 4wd system works great also. Only other thing is the cab/interior could use a bit of updating so it's not so bland and plain.

·
Registered
379 Posts
In the area here. AZ west is dealer but the sales guy couldn’t get up from his desk 10 feet away to bring a sales pamphlet or quote a price . Short visit to that store

1 - 20 of 24 Posts