Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just got my mav yesterday I got a bunch of stuff for it but didnt get the the K&N yet. Has anyone tried it I havent seen a thread on here... Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is a K&N (or other brand) air filter a highly recommended swap for the stock unit?

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
It depends on what you're riding in condition wise. I got away from K&N a couple years ago on offroad vehicles because they let to much stuff past the filter. We swapped over to something like a AEM dry filter but I don't think they would make one for this application. If you ride in a lot of dust I would personally keep the stock filter over the K&N.

·
Premium Member
8,280 Posts
i am running an AFE dry filter with outerware in my custom intake and there is a big difference in noise. I can hear the engine alot more that with the stock airbox.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Mega post up a picture of your intake if you don't mind, Id like to see it. It looks like the factory intake wasn't very well thought out when you take the hood off and look at it.

·
Premium Member
8,280 Posts
Megadesert that looks awesome did u feel any difference with that? Or just the sound?
not sure, my seat of the pants dyno is unsure.

the sound from the intake is loud! waaaaaaaaaaa under wide open throttle. While riding last weekend the Rzr guy in front of me said the maverick sounds badass when i am hammering on it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I got my K&N air filter over the weekend and put it in, i did notice the sealing rubber is thicker than the factory filter, there for i felt like the K&N made the lid fit tighter. power wise, i did notice a minute increase down low in the power thats about it.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
not sure, my seat of the pants dyno is unsure.

the sound from the intake is loud! waaaaaaaaaaa under wide open throttle. While riding last weekend the Rzr guy in front of me said the maverick sounds badass when i am hammering on it.
u have your intake back on , did u get a programmer?

·
Premium Member
8,280 Posts
u have your intake back on , did u get a programmer?
no programmer. befor last weekends ride i went to clean the filter and found it to be really dirty and needed replacing. Didnt have time to go get a new filter, so i just bolted on my custom intake. It threw no codes and ran great. I like the AFE dry filter with outerwares better than the stock automotive style.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
ok ,
ya I like afe , I run it on my diesel

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Me personally, I would not run the stock paper air filter. After going through the dust issues with my Commander(same filter, same air box), I havent had any issues with dust getting past the K&N in both my Commander & Maverick. If I ran only in the dry climate I would run a set-up like Mega's which is very nice by the way but we run in the dunes, mountains, water crossings, mud & snow once in awhile also so I keep the stock air box with the K&N and no issues so far.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
don't use k&N oil use maxima super sticky foam and fabric oil

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sickstick, Im gonna be mostly trail riding in Norcal mixed conditions dry path wet mud and Im sure lots of dust this summer sounds like your riding conditions, Did you just pop K&N in or do you oil or rinse yours when purchased?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Are guys leaving the foam postfilter in place with the k&n?
I would say yes, leave the post filter in place. Just keep it clean and properly oiled.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts