Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It rained like crazy over the last holiday so what is normally a dusty forest ride turned into a big mud bog. Sure was nice not riding in dust for a change but it took all week to get everything cleaned up from camping gear to the Maverick. So when I started cleaning the Mav I knocked off all the big mud and then tried a tip I read on here from a couple of the mud boggers. I sprayed everything down with a 10:1 water and simple green mixture using a 1 gallon garden sprayer. Waited a few minutes and then hit it with the pressure washer again. Man did that mud come off good! I went ahead and hand washed the main plastic but it really didn't need it and the yellow coils and a arms look shiny and bright again. Very little water spotting on anything and the water beaded up as if it was waxed. Normally I wipe the hood and sides down with a detail car spray to get rid of the water spots but it didn't need it this time. I was a little nervous about getting the simple green on the windshield and the dash display but it was no problem. So the only thing that is hard to clean now are the seats. I don't know what the fabric is on those things but I don't like it. For one thing they soak up heat and if they are sitting in the sun during a beer break you don't want to put any bare skin on them. I had to use the simple green along with a fabric bristle brush to clean them but there are still some small blemishes left in the fabric. Nothing major but I've never had seats that were such a pain to clean.

Anyhow, good tip from whoever gave it. You know who you are and I thank you.

Reactions: heavysledz

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
X2 thanks for the tip...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'll just stay out of the mud. It seems that no matter what you can't find all of it so there is always some residual

·
Registered
227 Posts
I wheel primarily in muddy or dusty conditions and have found that a liquid laundry detergent works extremely well and I use all get the generic brands and it ends up going farther and is cheaper then simple green..I dont even have to scrub the tires..I just blast it off!!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One other trick I did was to put the floor jack under the frame in the middle of each side with an 8" block spacer and jack up each side as high as it would go. Made it alot easier to pressure wash underneath the car and just took a few more minutes.
Yeah, tires and wheels perfectly clean with no scrubbing!
Hyfr, what dilution ratio did you use with liquid detergent and how did you apply. Seems like it might get a bit to sudsy in a garden sprayer like I used.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just use one capful to my 2 gallon garden sprayer....just pour a cap in after you fill the sprayer with water and dilute to a nice blue soultion....its definately a lot cheaper then simple green but I do have to wipe down the arms and stuff with a light coat of WD40 cuz its extremly dry and clean...but I am extremly anal about cleaning my rides. I am thinking about trying out the simple green cuz you said it dries kinda spotless..so it must leave some sort of coating on it..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Max
Where did you ride? It was a blast for us desert rats to get a taste of the mud (literally)!
It's not like the leaf blower and hose clean up from the typical dune or desert trip tho.
This took me hours...
image.jpg
Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So that's about the same as what you would use to clean a load of laundry I guess. As far as not getting any spotting I could see where using detergent might leave a bit of spotting. I always like to do final rinse on all vehicles with pressure washer to cut down on the spotting. Makes my big truck easier to dry because it really knocks out any left over soap that might be left. My pressure washer uses the tips that are interchangable. I prefer the white nozzle on vehicles since it's only about as strong as going to the car wash and I can hold my hand in the spray with no pain so I don't figure it will hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Max
Where did you ride? It was a blast for us desert rats to get a taste of the mud (literally)!
It's not like the leaf blower and hose clean up from the typical dune or desert trip tho.
This took me hours...
View attachment 4372
Thanks for the tips!
That's about what mine looked like too. We rode up at Mormon Lake south of Flagstaff and also spent Sunday riding the Pink Jeep trails down by Sedona.

·
Registered
170 Posts
...BTW
Wild Horse Pass Raceway Park (old firebird) is going to kick ass. The new management team is putting a lot of work into it. I've been working with them for a couple months now and they have a great plan for all venues. First boat race is this weekend! Sure am glad they are keeping it open. I practically grew up at that place.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bet that was beautiful up there. Still haven't done the trails in Sedona but did a happy jack to Sedona ride once and it was awesome.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...BTW
Wild Horse Pass Raceway Park (old firebird) is going to kick ass. The new management team is putting a lot of work into it. I've been working with them for a couple months now and they have a great plan for all venues. First boat race is this weekend! Sure am glad they are keeping it open. I practically grew up at that place.
Yeah I think it will work out good but hopefully they don't jack up prices through the moon. Can't deny the place needed some improvements, actually lots of improvement so new money is a good thing. Looking forward to LOORS again but I wish we hadn't lost the season ender to Riverside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
uuhhhh....somebody tell that guy those cars were already clean and waxed
Those did look clean, but what you may not have noticed was dust and road buildup. I detail cars and its best for you finish to clean them before they are dirty, if that makes sense... EVen if you cant see that its dirty if you take a quick look at it it is. Using the foam when its not super dirty you dont even have to touch the paint with a sponge, microfiber wash mitt etc. The less you touch the surface the less swirls and wash scratches you get. SO yes I agree those care werent as dirty as our mavericks get, but anyways the snowfoam works frigen awesome because it lifts the mud, dirt etc. It makes it WAYYYYY easer to clean especially the suspension and hard to get to spots,

·
Registered
417 Posts
My machine was solid mud from a nasty section of my ride last weekend so decided to try this. I was surprised it really helped soaking it with the wife's laundry detergent. This was a great tip. Thx.. Unfortunately with the woods riding here my machine is scratched to shit. Sometimes I am jelouse of the dry desert riding guys.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hyfr, I gave this a try tonight. Worked pretty good, thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Hyfr
1 - 18 of 18 Posts