Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
u got it man! nice job on the deck! 48 bucks u cant beat that! I put a MXD500/3 JL M770 mids and a small hidden 8" w3 In a Polaris Ranger for a guy that manages a pro baseball team.He has a cabin Up at Schweitzer ski mountain.I put that amp under the front dash.took the entire front end apart on that thing.He called me back about 2 weeks later said there Is no sound anymore? send one of my installers 3hrs away to check it out. JL marine Amp didnt even make it 2 weeks In that environment

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well who knows what could have happened to the amp but I have been in water over the windshield in a rzr before and I know that not too many amps would like that. That said I think that most amps need some type of protection from moisture and that is why I am hesitant to go that route. I think either overhead, which I don't want, or an enclosed amp rack that is water tight is the only way to go on an amplifier in these things. Or just go cheap and replace when necessary like I did with my cd player. I have a some 12" subs and 15" subs that would work great on my maverick but the weight of the box and sub plus amp and rack might get out of control. I want my machine as light as possible. Same reason I am doing the smallest possible three channel setup in an old Porsche I own. I love loud music but not at the expense of the handling.

·
Registered
557 Posts
did you just say a 15" sub!haha....wow that would be a rolling boom box! Im with you I personally cant stand the overhead setups! I sure would like to figure out how to enclose an amp,make it water tight yet not allow it to shut off after 5min of running due to no heat release.One thing to do would be to go with an amp that has alot of cast aluminum to get rid of the heat.One reason I like Rockford.Again nothing against JL I sell a ton of JL to me It seems Rockford amps are a more designed for abuse.just my 2 cents nothing more.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I hear you. I personally only used Phoenix Gold years ago with the Titanium line that had built in variable speed fans and they sounded awsome. And they were American made, but like most other brands that is no longer the case. Now with newer amps being class D they produce far less heat and less wasted heat also means less amperage pulled in so better for our charging system. I think a push/pull dual fan sealed amp rack is the ultimate answer for these machines if you must go with an amp. I would just have to make the inlet and outlet run in PVC piping like a snorkel for your CVT and I think thing would be great. Now that we are talking about it I might have to do just that for fun, but first I will have to get a cheap used amp that I don't care about and the time to build it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
got tons of those laying around here! I remember the old days I had a Phoenix gold the old class A baby blue one's man what a bad ass amp! that thing got smokin hot though! those little Kicker waterproof amps are pretty cool only 50rmsx2 though. you know who owns Phoenix now? PAC audio! they have been trying to get me to pick up that line for years! Every time I go to CES they are who I order my kits and harness from great group of people there but just cant bring myself to go down that road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes I heard that, since they got sold off I haven't looked at them since. I got out of car audio back in 2004 so a lot has changed since then, most of it bad, some good. I am amazed at how low the decks go for now. High end cd players are around $200-$300 now. Used to be over a grand. Times are a changing, feeling old now. Ha

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here is the one I did. 4 Rockford 8" with a Clarion 502 marine head unit and a 600 watt 4 channel amp. It it way too loud. Took the shape of the rear fender to make the outer speaker pods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That's really nice. Great install. Looks like something I would do if I had the time. Love doing fiberglass enclosures but now its just once in a while in my spare time since I am no longer in the business. Here is my latest project. I did a box and amp platform for a 370z. He wanted most of his trunk left so he could take it on trips so this is what I came up with and think it came out ok. Sorry if this is off subject. Vehicle audio Subwoofer Car subwoofer Audio equipment Loudspeaker

·
Registered
189 Posts
They make that exact same head unit in Marine called a KMR550u I only know cause I sell them!lol.....great deck though 3 sets of 4volt pre amp section great choice! Rockford Is just getting ready to release their power series small platform amps like the PBR series they are suposed to pack a nasty punch! I am running the Rockford tower speakers and the new digital PBR 300/2 mini amp no head unit but the Kicker PXi50.2 controller. I wanted to do what you did but scared to death to get it wet.Great job man!
These Kenwood are for sure some awesome units because I've been beating the hell out of mine for a long time and water intrusion threw a previous roof for a long period of time left in the weather and this sucker is still going! Plus you don't have to worry about the pesky engine noise like I was getting from some cheap pyle marine amps I kept frying.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've had the that KMR550u in my boat last year got rained on a couple times(down pour) drunk buddy spilled most of a beer on it no issues. I'm thinking about putting a kmr d558bt in the maverick for the bluetooth ability and keeping my phone in a dry case

·
Registered
866 Posts
Once I seen this idea using the roof flashing I ran with it. I also started making panels using the same material for the rear. I plan on using the 6.5" speaker instead of the 5-1/4" speaker since they fit just as good and you can get a better/louder speaker. You can see in the pics how well they fit. Im having to hold the speaker because I bought some cheapo's I'm taking back for just a test fit. I plan on installing 4- 6.5" speakers with the pxi50.2 I just ordered, a SSV sub enclosure with a 5 channel amp to fit in the glove box. More pics to follow as I get my orders in and get them installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Awesome idea ... I will be stealing it lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
How did u alter the console to fit the CD player and also how did u wire it up ? Do u have dual battery set up?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Nice job on the PXi50 good call man! looking good.not sure If you know this or not but Kicker did just come out with their co-ax mids that are 100% waterproof! not sure if they make it in a 6.5 or not maybe just the 5.25 and 4" right now I called the rep to get more info on them he is calling me back to let me know availability

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Great idea for the rear speakers, I was going to try that later but wasn't sure if they would fit there. Haven't been to a store to buy more roof flashings yet. I am going to try using the flashing in the roll cage in the rear corners up top. I used 5 1/4" speakers just because that is what I had but yes most 6 1/2" will fit and will probably sound better. I am going cheap on this as I won't feel bad ruining a good set of speakers. I am not sure if your asking me about the cd player but it is a pain to make it fit. First I cut out the upper and back side of the pocket, then made a panel out of universal dash plastic. Then I had to use spacers behind on the top to get the angle right. The frame in the dash goes across right behind where the player would sit. It is just about a half inch too close so you can either build a fiberglass/bondo faceplate to space it back to clear it or do what I did and just make your dash panel sit more upright so the player sits on top of the bar in the dash. I was worried it wouldn't go but it will just barely. I have wires run to stock "radio" plug in dash and constant on the extra wire at the fuse box. Stock battery and only one. If you were asking someone else, then sorry.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Anybody know what that harness is for behing the ignition? its like there is something that is suposed to plug into a couple harnes p[lugs? anyone?

·
Registered
223 Posts
You guys know that for those speakers to work and sound properly the back of the speaker housing needs to be sealed airtight right? Unless your using speakers designed for infinite-baffle / free air installations. You might want to look at marine speakers designed to be in the gunwale of most boats as these are infinite baffle speakers and they are designed to be in the elements as well. Most Marine 6.5" and 5.25" coaxes are designed to be free air so you would have a lot to choose from. One thing to note is that the air/sound being pushed from behind the speaker should not be able to wrap around the enclosure and reach the front of the woofer, which cancels out the sound waves. In addition to crappy sound you may also shorten the life of the speaker due to exaggerated woofer flutter (an increase and ease of which the woofer travels) due to the sound/air pressure variances outside of what the speaker is designed for.

Every JL audio marine cockpit coax is designed for infinite baffle, but there are less expensive options with other manufacturers as well.

Just trying to help a little....

·
Registered
866 Posts
Appreciate all the help. That is one of the great things about the forums! I planned on sealing the back with with another piece of plastic or plexiglass before I mount it. Silicone around the two and pop rivet the the two together to the plastics on the Mav.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Most coaxial speakers are designed to be infinite baffle in a sense. They are designed to be in a panel, door or interior, with no enclosure behind them. No you don't want the sound to leak out around the speaker enclosure either. So like I said in my first post I would used a sealant, I used windshield sealant, around the back of the baffle to seal the speaker to the plastic panel I am mounting them on thus creating an enclosure of types. It is not perfectly sealed but more than enough pressure to mimic a typical coaxial installation. You really have to worry more about that if you are running a lot of bass through your coaxials and I have my crossover set on mine to 100Hz and up so later I might add a sub but no one should be installing these roof flashings with the back wide open, good point. And unfortunately I still have had no time to do my back speakers. Hope to post some more pictures soon. Thinking of doing what jchevy4x4j did because it would be totally out of the way and won't have to run wires up the roll cage. Great idea.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts