Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting my stereo project in my new maverick and wanted to post a few pictures of what is done so far. I wanted a head unit from a car to have all options open for playing formats and to have my small speakers powered. Not sure if I'm going to add an amp yet or not but trying to avoid it in case of water. I also wanted to share a trick I first saw on a RZR. I used plastic roof flashing from Menard's as my speaker enclosures. Angles are not perfect but much easier and cheaper than other methods. I got the 4" pipe size plastic flashing and they fit 5 1/4" speakers perfectly. I used windshield sealant to seal the rear around the opening. I also left a small area open at the bottom for water to drain out if it makes its way in somehow. I should also mention there is a frame bar right behind where the radio mounts so the trick here was to angle the dash panel to tip the rear of the stereo up to sit on top of the bar. The wire harness attached to it just needs to rotate down a little to gain clearance. Speakers are clarion and head unit is Kenwood, chosen due to the covers over the CD slot and USB plug. Now on to rear speakers. I almost forgot, my front speaker enclosures costed $4.50 each. Cut them easily with tin snips.

·
Registered
415 Posts
get some pics up ! I want to see ! im doing mine in the next month

·
Registered
415 Posts
that's looks awesome! I Don't have a menards anywhere close, so ill try lowes here. thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must say the sound stage is not perfect, the angle of the speakers could be better but this is not a car and you won't hear a ton of difference when done. I also have angled and rotating tweeters on these speakers so the angle isn't quite so important. I just hope this helps some members out and some serious money. If you can do a little cutting these panels are extremely easy to work with. I won't have time for a while after this but soon I will be tackling the rear speakers. Later maybe a sub since I have tons of them laying around, but still concerned with water around an amplifier. Trying to keep this all inexpensive and simple as this is a machine that will get dusty and dirty a lot. My background is custom car audio and I could be making fiberglass enclosures but it seems like too much work at this point. We will see what happens later. So far I have $60 into this stereo. The speakers I already had and the deck is used. That way I won't cry if I ruin it out on a trail and I don't want a ton of weight up by the top of the roll cage to make it more tip happy. IMG_20140311_142236_328[1].jpg

·
Registered
415 Posts
man its a sxs not a car, that's perfect what you did! im going to do that, and do 4 of them for the roof!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On a side note, don't look at the screws in my dash panel, they are the only thing I had that was long enough and they will be changed out later for a domed flat back screw. I live in a rural area with no fastenal within an hour so for now they will work. Also the roof flashing I found had a larger opening that the one in the picture I posted so try and find the 4" opening to make it easier. Otherwise, just cut the opening larger with a scissor as its just rubber around the opening. I think I mentioned this but I am not the first to use these as I saw this on a rzr so I don't take any credit for this. Thanks for looking. More to come.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Way to think outside the box ! Bad ass for the $

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wonder if they will work for the opening in the headrests of the seats?? if not, I know we can turn them facing backwards!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my thought was to use them as a beginning template to make enclosures for the upper rear roll cage where the factory pods go. Just have to get to menards to grab a couple more and start on it. My problem is I will be traveling out of state this weekend and will probably pick them up on my way back. Should have gotten two more so I can do more today. Oh well, its still freezing here in North Dakota so I have some time till I actually need to ride it anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hope I didn't piss of some vendors as I didn't mean to, just trying to help out other people doing the same upgrade.

·
Registered
557 Posts
They make that exact same head unit in Marine called a KMR550u I only know cause I sell them!lol.....great deck though 3 sets of 4volt pre amp section great choice! Rockford Is just getting ready to release their power series small platform amps like the PBR series they are suposed to pack a nasty punch! I am running the Rockford tower speakers and the new digital PBR 300/2 mini amp no head unit but the Kicker PXi50.2 controller. I wanted to do what you did but scared to death to get it wet.Great job man!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You read my mind, I wanted to marine version of this same stereo but I could only find them new. I got this deck used off ebay for $48 so when I do ruin it, and I will, I can just buy another one instead of crying about it. As far as amps, I am really into the XD series from JL Audio as they are tiny and have great power from less current draw. I use on in my truck but have reserves about spending anywhere near $500 for a system that could very well get ruined in one big puddle. I love car audio but I will wait and see if I hit too much water before going too far on it. Or I could make a waterproof amp rack behind the seats and use snorkels and fans to vent it. Just thinking out loud here.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts