Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
they are beefy beefy beefy... and a work of art... now our HCR suspension is +4 so we had UTV inc build us custom length radius and tie rods...they will no longer be the "wink link"

Radius rods are HUGE...
Radius Rods.JPG

as are the Tie Rods... as you will see..very high quality clevis and hiems...also grade 10 bolts.
UTV inc Tie  Rods.JPG

We also run Wicked Bilt Power Steering and their much upgraded Steering box..the factory SB is very marginal for what we do. We have also reinforced out factory BRP Spindles with Chromolly bands in the areas that take the most pressure.

Spindle 1.jpg
074.jpg

So where is the weakest link?.. really dunno.. probably the rack, but until we go to a custom billet or buggy rack.. not much you can do.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tryed to weld bands on my Commander spindels and could not get it to take. Whats the secret?
Steve, in our case a good machine shop! If you want us to get a set done for you...let me know

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
Looks good. So what are the rack options looking like? I can't find anything and the clevis's on the Wicked Built seem to be under built from what I can tell. I've ran GearOne on everything else but they don't seem to have much interest in the Maverick.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good. So what are the rack options looking like? I can't find anything and the clevis's on the Wicked Built seem to be under built from what I can tell. I've ran GearOne on everything else but they don't seem to have much interest in the Maverick.
So far Wicked is building the only real quality aftermarket rack...yes they are a sponsor...but we only run what we think works...if there was something better and we had to buy it that's what we'd do. The Stock BRP racks are not built by Wicked Bilt like they were in the past (now built in India as of 2013) that may change but thats what it is for now... Turnkey UTV says they are going to build a rack..just havent seen it yet- if they do I bet it will be very stoutbut very expensive. We have looked at a number of buggy racks..and then there's is a guy who builds a billet rack for Rhino's that says he can convert one for Commanders/Mavericks- but it was VERY pricy too.. What are you thinking of doing...building a rack for us racers?

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
No I won't be building anything. I'm a suspension tuner and fabricator, not a machinist unfortunately. I spoke with someone the other day that said the clevis ends where the tie rods thread on are 12x1.5 which is smaller than the factory 14x1.5. I haven't got my hands on it so I don't know if there's a easy way around it but I'm not going to put on something smaller than stock. It that's true Wicked Built needs to go better on it but that 1.5:1 rack would kill two birds with one stone for me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I tryed to weld bands on my Commander spindels and could not get it to take. Whats the secret?
Normally before welding on something like casting they almost always have to preheat the part to aid in the weld ability of it and to keep it from cracking . Casting is gonna be a bitch if your not familiar with it.

If it can't play, it can't stay!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
was that your car that lost the rear wheel?
We haven't lost a rear wheel in a race (at least on the Maverick)... I took out my front suspension (the upper control arm when hitting a deep rut while going through a hard right hand turn at speed) last weekend while testing-
Wilmot 1.JPG
now gusseted up the front and rear so shouldn't have that issue again hopefully

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought the front already had gussets on it
we had the front gusset plate on so partially right... which gussets the front upper/lower bracket but we had not gusseted the rear brackets that hold in the upper and lower control arms which is what broke (dumb I know...we were going to do it just hadn't got there yet) learned another lesson.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Steve, in our case a good machine shop! If you want us to get a set done for you...let me know
Michel, Can you find out what rod they were using and if they preheted and post heated the material. I recently bought a brand TIG machine with a Water cooler so I need to get some use out of it lol.
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Michel, Can you find out what rod they were using and if they preheted and post heated the material. I recently bought a brand TIG machine with a Water cooler so I need to get some use out of it lol.
Thanks
Steve
Steve- call Jon at 520-312-5336 he worked with Machine shop on what they did- he can give you the heads up for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts