Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back from a 5 day Glamis trip last night. I put over 200 hard, fast miles on my Maverick. My only complaint that cant be fixed by an adjustment is the stock lights completely suck. Of course it is an easy fix to add a light bar or HID kit, but I was disappointed by them considering the XP comes with HID's. It took me a little bit to get used to the body roll when in the dunes and how it tracks on the sand highway at low speeds. There was 6 XP's in my camp, all but one of them had paddles and I had no problem riding their ass on a fast dune ride with just the stock tires in 4wd with 10lbs of pressure all the way around. On a flat drag on the sand highway from a dead stop the Maverick easily broke off the XP's with paddles by 2 lengths. Since the XP's had paddles I ran 4wd and stayed with them off the start for about 25 feet then just started pulling ahead. My top speed that I hit was 66 MPH. I am sure with a set of paddles and clutch work this machine could easily hit 75 to 80 in the sand. I let a couple of the XP owners in my camp drive it and they could not believe the difference in power and how much smoother the machine was than their XP's. Everywhere I went at least 3 people would come up and look and ask questions, at one point I had almost 20 people checking it out down by the sand mall about a 100 yards from camp rzr. Our camp has a mixture of long travel cars and XP's, and I had no problem staying towards the front of the pack on rides. All in all I am very pleased with the machine. I am going to go through my GoPro and get a video put together hopefully in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
It was good meeting you out there! I'm going to go to Glamis this Saturday. I had an absolute blast at the little dunes in Superstion, so I can't wait to let her loose in Glamis :):):)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was good to meet you too, I recognized that rack on your truck! Pretty funny how much of a small world it is! You will love the way it runs in Glamis. Smooth, fast, and plenty of power!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fyi, XP does not have HID's. It has LED's, there's a big difference in light output.
Well they are waaaay brighter than the stock crap lights the maverick has. Wish they had done something like the XP in the light department for sure.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Good write up. I also raced an XP over the weekend & beat it hands down every time. I believe the Mav will keep pulling away in a longer run. I ran mine up to 73 mph on sand highway at superstition and it felt like it had more. I also had my tires at 6# inthe rear & 7#'s front. Could have went lower but didnt need to. I also think the lights could have been better but they are adequate. I will be adding my 40" LED and that should be more than enough.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You guys take it easy on the polaris boys, I hate to see grown men cry. :crying:

·
Registered
49 Posts
You have a winner if all you care about is drag racing XP's and winning. There is a lot more to having a SXS to me than just going fast in a flat straight line.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You have a winner if all you care about is drag racing XP's and winning. There is a lot more to having a SXS to me than just going fast in a flat straight line.
Don't worry, the Maverick does it all! I kind of think of it as a crotch rocket for the desert! It climbed everything I pointed it at. It was unbelievably fun through the sand dunes. And then I can do the slowest crawl up a rocky hill. I can't remember the last time I had as much fun as I did in the last four days. This thing is just truly amazing!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hows the heat in the cockpit? I know everyone complained about it in the Commander. And how about the shifting from reverse to forward? Have they fixed that bad clunk and hard to shift?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hows the heat in the cockpit? I know everyone complained about it in the Commander. And how about the shifting from reverse to forward? Have they fixed that bad clunk and hard to shift?
I did not notice any heat in the cockpit, as far as shifting, it is smooth and easy to and from any position.
I am hoping to get some hard pack riding time next weekend to really test how it will handle. In the dunes, this thing flat out gets it. I went up almost everything I tried from a dead stop at the bottom, while the XP's with paddles took a run and struggled and side hilled toward the top. Now I am not an XP hater at all, I almost pulled the trigger on one and then heard whispers about the maverick coming out so I decided to wait, the guys in camp that have XP's are not in the XP or go home club, and they all loved the Maverick. One of the guys is already considering selling the XP for a Maverick based on the drive he took in mine. For now, nothing out of the box will touch it, but we all know this is the turning point for the high performance side by side industry, and it is going to get very competitive by each manufacturer. Which is great news for us the consumer!

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
I rode the hell out of my mod commander and Mav at Glamis this weekend. Race Xps up Olds, down Gecko left them in the dunes even with them cutting lines. I hit 75 mph down and up Gecko with no issues passing a 450 quad that wanted to race..lol. The Mav is the real deal. I run skat paddles 7 and smoothies up front on both the commander and Mav. My mod commander had its hands full with the Mav. For the most part it was able to run up Olds with it. On the flats the mav just pulled it along with a Turbo Rzr. The Mav just needs the suspension dialed which I will do this weekend. The car is very smooth and once I remove the air box and build an exhaust header for it it will be a beast.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am envious of all of you who have gotten their Mavrick already. There aren't any up here in the PNW yet. The dealers I have talked to say Febuary at the soonest to get a model here. I'm going to wait anyhow for AC to release the info on the Wildcat X but the Mav does sound pretty cool.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had a very similar experience in mine at Glamis this weekend too. Lots of questions and lots of looks. Didnt do too much drag racing (XP owners were scared) but I did run a lot with big buggies and had to tell them to go faster. They were not used to having a SXS in their group and thought they had to take it easy.

I did not mind the lights too much. I just want more. :cool2: I need to do some adjusting on the suspension. I would bottom out on hard transitions. Ran 7 in the rear and 9 up front. Made it up everything but the steepest softest sand at China Wall.

Johnny from UTV has a nice looking cage on his already. He is running 9 paddles and said he can hold the front end up over the top of the rise. Cant wait for paddles and a little suspension tweaks. I will be back at glamis for MLK weekend.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
2 questions for you or anyone can answer.

1- do you feel you did not make it up china wall due to your experience or machine not able? who was at fault.

2- if you bottom out on hard pack, what setting would you suggest for jumps, where you are going to land hard so you dont bottom out.

thanks

I had a very similar experience in mine at Glamis this weekend too. Lots of questions and lots of looks. Didnt do too much drag racing (XP owners were scared) but I did run a lot with big buggies and had to tell them to go faster. They were not used to having a SXS in their group and thought they had to take it easy.

I did not mind the lights too much. I just want more. :cool2: I need to do some adjusting on the suspension. I would bottom out on hard transitions. Ran 7 in the rear and 9 up front. Made it up everything but the steepest softest sand at China Wall.

Johnny from UTV has a nice looking cage on his already. He is running 9 paddles and said he can hold the front end up over the top of the rise. Cant wait for paddles and a little suspension tweaks. I will be back at glamis for MLK weekend.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
1) If you didn't make it up China wall it was totally driver error. I ran up China walls for years with my built motor Rhino. 2 years ago with a stock commander with paddles starting at the bottom stopped. With the Mav I make it up without looking like a UTV but more like a buggy...lol Make sure you have paddles. Skat trak 26x12x12 8 paddles with smoothies are the best. Sand Blasters with comp cut and smoothies are the second best. BTW the commander can make it up China wall with the big horns. Air down and run full speed like the buggies over the whoops (it will handle it with ease).

2)Shocks work best for me at 4 10 12. 4 ticks out on low speed. 10 ticks out on high speed. 12 ticks out on rebound.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
I wish I never drove the Maverick, now I want one bad!!!!! Thanks a lot usaguy!

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
If you get one the dune rides will be much faster...lol By MLK weekend? By the way the Mav beat the mod commander

1 - 20 of 34 Posts