Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend we heading to Johnson Valley for some camping and riding. Weather was a little on the warm side, but when there was a breeze it was not bad. A lot of people were out there enjoying the desert. Johnson Valley is a cool place to ride as it offers a variety of of places to go. You can do high speed desert to slow technical rock crawling. The one thing the place is not lacking is whoops for miles. You could tell when you were on part of the King of the Hammers race course as the whoops increased in size and the trails got a lot rougher.

We checked out the Giant Rock, Cougar Buttes and Hercules Finger.

Great weekend with only some minor damage to my friend's X3 after he rolled it 4 or 5 times down a sand hill. Nobody was hurt.

Giant Rock is pretty cool at was maybe 15 miles from where we were camping.

giant rock 1.jpg
gian rock 2.jpg
giant rock 3.jpg
giant rock 4.jpg
giant rock 5.jpg
giant rock 5.jpg

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After leaving Giant Rock we decided to take these trails that wrapped around the mountain. That is were we saw a cool sand hill. It was all good until my friend decided to go a little higher and as he turned he center punched a rock with his front bumper and over they went. The ass end of the his X3 did not spin around like he was expecting and he kept going straight into the rock. LOL!

Luckily it was super soft deep sand so no major damage. He bent both lower radius rods, one rear axle, the front bumper was smashed in a little and some grass in the cage. I had some spare radius rods so we change one of the lowers with another lower and used my extra middle rod to replace the other lower rod so he could drive it back to camp. We swapped out the axle when we go back to camp and straightened out one of he bent radius rods by running it over with a truck tire. Straightened out the bumper and the front plastics went back into shape.
chuck 1.jpg
chuck 1.jpg
chuck 2.jpg
chuck 3.jpg
chuck 4.jpg
chuck 5.jpg
chuck 6.jpg
chuck 8.JPG
chuck 9.jpg
chuck 10.jpg

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more fun in the rocks
cougar 10.PNG
cougar 11.PNG
cougar 12.jpg
cougar 12.PNG
cougar 13.PNG

Reactions: DesertTarantula

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sunday we headed over to check out Hercules Finger.
hecules finger 1.jpg
hercules finger 2.jpg
hercules finger 3.jpg
hercules finger 4.JPG
Pretty cool rock formation.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I figured you were going to say Dave rolled..lol

Sent from BLR logistics

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 MAX XRS TURBO RR
317 Posts
Nice. I was pretty much in the same location. We camped at Anderson dry lake. Can you see Hercules finger from Anderson? We spotted something that looked like it and wondered what that was. Are trails closed on that side? I thought I saw a closed sign.....

·
Premium Member
10,444 Posts
How long of a drive is it for you? I map quested it last year I think, it was almost 13 hours, yikes! I said no thanks.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice. I was pretty much in the same location. We camped at Anderson dry lake. Can you see Hercules finger from Anderson? We spotted something that looked like it and wondered what that was. Are trails closed on that side? I thought I saw a closed sign.....
Yes it is on the other side of Camp Rock Road. There is an open trail that takes you their. The power line trail.

It was busy out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How long of a drive is it for you? I map quested it last year I think, it was almost 13 hours, yikes! I said no thanks.
It is 160 miles from my house. The longest part is going down Bear valley road through Hesperia and Apple Valley. There must be 30 lights that you get stuck at. Lol!

It should be a 7-8hr drive from AZ.

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I figured you were going to say Dave rolled..lol

Sent from BLR logistics
No Dave kept it on all 4. My friend Chuck is the one that rolled. We have in car video.

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
831 Posts
Glad you guys had fun riding in rough ass johnson valley. I once went out there years ago in a non long travel rhino tom built. I hated the place. May be I will bring the max to the place in LA and ride again with you and Chuck. Let me know if you do a Pismo trip this year, if CA doesn't shut it down this year. Have you thought about a big bear Trip? At least when we reach the top to camp it will be cooler. Might have to fight the bears out of your camp trying to get those steaks off the fire..lol

Reactions: sand shark

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad you guys had fun riding in rough ass johnson valley. I once went out there years ago in a non long travel rhino tom built. I hated the place. May be I will bring the max to the place in LA and ride again with you and Chuck. Let me know if you do a Pismo trip this year, if CA doesn't shut it down this year. Have you thought about a big bear Trip? At least when we reach the top to camp it will be cooler. Might have to fight the bears out of your camp trying to get those steaks off the fire..lol
I doubt Pismo will open up anytime soon this summer. That Max won’t like the trails in Big Bear.

Hoping for at least one more cool weekend to hit up a day trip to Jawbone .

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 MAX XRS TURBO RR
317 Posts
Bring the Max to Johnson Valley. Mine rides smooth. Always have a blast out there. Hitting the whoops at 75mph between soggy dry lake and Anderson dry lake was a blast hahaha

1 - 20 of 28 Posts