Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a little roll over accident at the dunes last weekend. It was a slow, 3/4 of a complete roll off a soft transition. Later I noticed both sides of the cage have what appear to be cracks. I'm thinking the powder coating just chipped off when the cage flexed?? It only happened where the 45 degree braces attach to the side of the cage. Any input would be greatly appreciated... Thanks! m01.JPG m02.JPG

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The fact that it flaked off indicates that the metal flexed at that point. I would say the integrity of the weld is unknown just by looking at it but it obviously stressed the metal at that location. If you were really worried about it, you could grind it down to bare metal and re-weld it.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
835 Posts
The stock cage is weak I would replace it

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I agree, there is at least stress flex/weakness now at best. grind it down some and look further, going to need a re weld most likely or a new aftermarket one

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh boy, I was afraid of that. :sad: I'll look into re-welding it for now, and then maybe a new cage after the holidays are over. Any suggestions on after market cages?

·
Banned
546 Posts
It's fine don't even worry about it.. factory powder coat is very hard. Cages will absorb move then come back that's what cracked it.. roll it again and after that be worried

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If its not bent bad enough to mess with the looks of it, grind it down, reweld it, and reinforce it.
Doesn't appear to be bent at all. I'm gonna have it looked at this weekend. I just searched for some after marketed cages....holy-moly! Like $1800-2000!

·
Banned
546 Posts
Telling you its good...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had a little roll over accident at the dunes last weekend. It was a slow, 3/4 of a complete roll off a soft transition. Later I noticed both sides of the cage have what appear to be cracks. I'm thinking the powder coating just chipped off when the cage flexed?? It only happened where the 45 degree braces attach to the side of the cage. Any input would be greatly appreciated... Thanks! View attachment 5896 View attachment 5897
I don't think your roll cage is cracked, it did flex though, as most steel structures do to a point.
If you're worried about cracks alongside the weld bead area, I would suggest using a wire wheel to remove the powder coat and look for clear signs of cracked or fatigued metal.
Do not use a grinder, you don't want to take away metal before you determine if any cracks are present.
Welds will seldom crack, unless that weld did not have proper penetration a the time it was welded, or the metal was too brittle, but I don't think that's the case.
I've seen some gnarly maverick roll overs on the web, like Tripp Pullen's Mav. did. The cage was mangled, but none of it's components broke off.
That's the way the cage is designed, to absorb energy by deforming and after a hard hit the cage will be junk.
But I wouldn't worry about a slow roll.
You could also add gussets, to reinforce the affected area, and there's a few ways the cracks could be fixed, I you find any.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think your roll cage is cracked, it did flex though, as most steel structures do to a point.
If you're worried about cracks alongside the weld bead area, I would suggest using a wire wheel to remove the powder coat and look for clear signs of cracked or fatigued metal.
Do not use a grinder, you don't want to take away metal before you determine if any cracks are present.
Welds will seldom crack, unless that weld did not have proper penetration a the time it was welded, or the metal was too brittle, but I don't think that's the case.
I've seen some gnarly maverick roll overs on the web, like Tripp Pullen's Mav. did. The cage was mangled, but none of it's components broke off.
That's the way the cage is designed, to absorb energy by deforming and after a hard hit the cage will be junk.
But I wouldn't worry about a slow roll.
You could also add gussets, to reinforce the affected area, and there's a few ways the cracks could be fixed, I you find any.
I hope this helps.
Yup, that was helpful. Thanks! Sounds like you know a thing or two about wielding...

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
that cage is fine !

sorry added- cage is fine after u fix it, lol

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
grind it back and do a re weld is what I would do, especially if you know how to weld. at least run it back to metal and look for fractures. it wont hurt to reinforce the weld at this point

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just don't roll it again".....:wink:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts