Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
are these vehicles really going to come to off-road riding? https://electrek.co/2019/12/08/tesla-cyberquad-electric-atv-launch-2021-dirt-bike/ hope not.
The short answer is yes, the long answer is eventually. KTM and Husqvarna are already making the 50ccs in electric now, and there will be classes for them at Lorretta Lynn's. That's the beginning. I'm not sure how old you are, but there was a time basically 20 years ago, when the first YFZ400 that Doug Henry rode, and everybody said that 2 strokes would never get replaced.....

It's progress for better or worse. Most of the off-road riding that is done stateside (I'm not talking Baja), has been sanctioned down due to noise and dust (kind of similar to Pismo). Tracks and practice areas are nonexistent nowadays. This will eventually become the alternative.

No different than RCs. I remember when they said no electric car could touch a nitro car. Well......

·
Registered
810 Posts
Same boat. Sign me up for the rebadged yfz450E ! I’d make one myself if I could trust myself to not take it to 11 right off the batt. See what I did there? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Can Am already released in 13/14 the Commander electric car..
So they have been out for a few years
Never heard how well they sold or held up

Barbara

Sent from BLR logistics

·
Registered
364 Posts
Why not? EV's have shocking (haha) amounts of torque, just be aware of their limits.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think the problem is going to be charging them. How long will you have to run your generator to recharge it? A couple hours? All night? To me, that is going to be the big hurdle, especially for places like Glamis. How long will a charge last and how long will you have to run your generator to recharge it?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Reactions: bigred1xxc

·
Registered
79 Posts
I rode an 1986 YZ490, at 25 years old back then it wasn't fast enough for desert racing. That's when I knew it was time to sell it and be a dad for my kid. Fun bike to ride though

·
Registered
83 Posts
The short answer is yes, the long answer is eventually. KTM and Husqvarna are already making the 50ccs in electric now, and there will be classes for them at Lorretta Lynn's. That's the beginning. I'm not sure how old you are, but there was a time basically 20 years ago, when the first YFZ400 that Doug Henry rode, and everybody said that 2 strokes would never get replaced.....

It's progress for better or worse. Most of the off-road riding that is done stateside (I'm not talking Baja), has been sanctioned down due to noise and dust (kind of similar to Pismo). Tracks and practice areas are nonexistent nowadays. This will eventually become the alternative.

No different than RCs. I remember when they said no electric car could touch a nitro car. Well......
Hell yeah, 1999 Doug took second in Supercross and won the outdoor motocross on the 400. I was at Sam Boyd stadium that year, Doug and Jeremy went at it pretty good. Ricky was on a KX 125 back then, crazy to think it was 20 years ago. After that race is when it all started for me on 4-strokes, but, I still love my high revving 2's.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like riding without my fingers going numb due to vibration in the first mile.
I should clarify. I rode the cr500r once, across a field, laid it down and walked away, returned to my xr600r. I loved watching others (considerably more talented and gutsy) ride them. we rode with 2 guys who could climb the narliest hills and then come back down. in those days 4strokers climbed hills, not 2strokers. but they did.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My buddy whom I rode with had a CR500 and I had the YZ490. We were equal riders and it was fun running side by side into corners, down straights rubbing bars. Back then nobody would ride in the area where we rode. Now, I live out in that area and the weekends are a mess. So now we take our side by sides out during the week to avoid hitting the weekend cruisers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts