Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode this weekend and noticed a good bit of "slop" in the steering wheel. After some checking, I found this...on both sides, lots of play side to side. The culprit of the play is the connection from the tie rod to the steering rack. I recently replaced the tie rod ends, so they are good. The machine has 1700 miles on it, so I guess it's time to replace something. Do I need an entire steering rack or just the connectors to the tie rods?

Thanks,
XF

·
Registered
310 Posts
Before you buy, pull the boots back and check the hardware. The mounting hardware does loosen up over time. I've had it happen on mine before, so now I always check it before and after ride just in case.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! It seems crazy that the steering rack is a "wear item" that needs to be replaced so soon. I will check under the boots!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Never buy a Rackzilla. They are junk. Buy a stock rack or gear one, Anything but Rackzilla.

Reactions: AReed

·
Registered
806 Posts
I bought a rackzilla and was disappointed. Couldn't use any of my aftermarkat tie rods due to smaller components. Damn thing squeaks like crazy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looked into a Rackzilla and found out that it would likely mean some modification as I have a SuperATV power steering unit. The Rackzilla is made specifically for the Wickedbuilt power steering unit. So...the Rackzilla might work, but I would likely need to customize the lower steering shaft...not something I don't want to do. I will look into the Gear One unit to see if that is available for the Mav. I also checked on the Carolina Truggies (AREED's) site and it appears that his unit is not ready yet.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yes, you have to cut and weld the shaft from the super atv power steering to put the rackzilla joint on to make it work. My first rackzilla wore out quick running a lift, but my second one seems to be holding up decent, have not been running the lift as much

·
Registered
791 Posts
It is the inner ball joints that wear out on the rackzilla. They may have improved them (or may not have)

·
Vendor
6,217 Posts

Unfortunately my rack didn't turn out the way I wanted it. Function wise it's flawless but it doesn't fit the way I want it to. The design process of these and the wait time from the gear cutter is insane. I hate to say it and I'm sorry to the people that have waited on us but we won't have the next rack till early spring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Nice...did you set that up for Nascar...always turning left! LOL

Anyway...found the issue. Took the boots off and they were full of water and mud. The movement is from the rack shaft sleeves/races are gone on both sides. So...its official, I need a new rack. Now...Rackzilla says they are better than stock...who else has experience with them?? I really want the quick ratio...is it worth the trouble to cut and weld the steering wheel shaft to make the SuperATV fit the Rackzilla?

Thanks for the input!
XF

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts

Unfortunately my rack didn't turn out the way I wanted it. Function wise it's flawless but it doesn't fit the way I want it to. The design process of these and the wait time from the gear cutter is insane. I hate to say it and I'm sorry to the people that have waited on us but we won't have the next rack till early spring.
This is a shame, I hate it didn't work out for you the first go around. After breaking mine this weekend, now I'm in a pickle.
I can't buy the CT(preferred) Gear One dosent have the Mavericks ready yet(I guess, couldn't find it on their crappy website) plus I don't want to buy a Gear One because of how the engineer came on here and spouted off . I can't buy a Wickedbuilt because it won't bolt right up to my super Atv PS or my CT tie rods. I guess I'll have to go back with a stock steering box for now. My original lasted nearly 1000 miles. I'll just have to be careful with the new one or come up with a way to stiffen it
Are there any other options?

·
Vendor
6,217 Posts
Gear Ones rack is ready but only for the non power steering machines. My steering rack is for the factory power steering models.

A member on here had his Gear One rack bind up on him a couple weeks ago. I'll see if he chimes in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a rackzilla and was disappointed. Couldn't use any of my aftermarkat tie rods due to smaller components. Damn thing squeaks like crazy.
I have had quick steer rackzilla for year now only issue has been inner tie rod ends replace for $25 rack it's self is strong also replaced tie rod with some I made of 6061 1" aluminum haven't had a issue yet

·
Vendor
6,217 Posts
Jim, Gear One didn't cut the teeth on the rack all the way. So when he turned all the way in one direction the pinion dug into a spot on the rack that didn't have teeth and stuck there. He took it apart and cut a relief in with an angle grinder.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts